Barrels of Fun

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Barrels of Fun

Post by 3LollipopZ »

Barrels requiring steel, when can only carry 10 units of oil is a pain. Perhaps 100 units of oil would be reasonable.
There is little reason to use barrels when pipes (even underground pipes) can transport a lot of oil and is not attacked.

Barrels on trains is nice, but 8 per stack is stupid. 8 per stack * 10 oil = I'm not going to transport this via the train.
8 per stack * 100 oil = I better protect my train or it's going to make one hell of a mess.

Or, rather than improve capacity and stacking ability, perhaps just change it from Steel to Iron...

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Barrels of Fun

Post by 3LollipopZ »

Oh, and let me barrel up non-crude. Like Acid :)

well, I wouldn't mind having a separate storage area (removed from the pipeline) that I could store the refined liquids.
I could then use my smart chests to manage supply and I wouldn't have huge storage tanks of

I also could refine my oil quite the distance away from my 'construction' part of my factory (ie: didn't have to have pipelines throughout my already busy factory = yes it's a puzzle, which is nice, but I don't know if land should be my new valuable resource).

I do love the liquids though.... I've started to do some crazy farms of 100 degree water and heaps of steam engines :) I probably shouldn't be storing 100 degree oil or water, but anyway....

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

I think the reason they are so expensive is because they are permanent. Once you get a significant amount of them you don't need to keep recreating them. You can keep using them to transport your oil. They are essentially what you'd use to transport your oil industry around. 80 crude per stack. And you can then convert them back, storing them in tanks. It's complicated sure, but neat.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

TGS wrote:I think the reason they are so expensive is because they are permanent.
Yes they are, but in the beginning they weren't. There was a probability clause in the emptying the barrel recipe and like 1 in 100 would fail to produce the empty barrel back. It was a bit annoying :)

@3LollipopZ
The volume / stack size of the barrel is a balancing problem. I have used only pipes in my test game so not sure what the number should be. Maybe we can raise the stack size to 16 and volume to something like 50?

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

slpwnd wrote:@3LollipopZ
The volume / stack size of the barrel is a balancing problem. I have used only pipes in my test game so not sure what the number should be. Maybe we can raise the stack size to 16 and volume to something like 50?
10 is too low, 50+ is too high. 25 might be good. As far as the stack size I don't think that's too big of a concern really. I imagine it probably isn't all that useful as of right now. But if you had multiple 'bases' over long distances and railed them up rather than used pipes it would probably be far easier to bring the barrels than try to have tons of pumped pipe.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

I think a cargo wagon should store the same that a tank does.
So 1000 liquid units/15 slots, currently it can store 1200 units, wich is fine, and barrels are quite expensive (2*8*15=240 steel bars, *5=1200 iron) I havent tested loading/unloading but 120 barrels 1 second each is not that bad 120 seconds to unload 1200 units of crude ( and if you add more chemical plants, is fast, for example 6 chemical plants is 20 seconds to unload all liquid...)
Only thing I would change is the price of barrels,it is not bat atm, but 1 steel bar each would be better I think.

More calculations:
It takes 1200 seconds for a pumpjack to fill a whole wagon, running at 100% speed, imagine you have 10 running at max speed, and two wagons, thats 240 seconds to fill, travel and unfill, I think its totally fine.

The numbers seem weird, but when doing calculations, I think its fine.

Hazard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hazard »

I'll second the suggestion to allow every liquid to be transferred to barrels, but right now liquid storage is actually a little underwhelming compared to just stacking barrels filled with crude.

Sure, loading it all up into barrels is going to be expensive in terms of materials, but even with wooden chests you can store nearly four times the same amount of crude oil in the space of a single storage tank as that storage tank would, and with bigger chests it only gets worse. Steel chests would allow 11.5 times the amount, and with good use of the Logistics Network you'd easily get up to 34 times the amount of liquid as a simple basic storage tank.

Sure, you'll probably need to sink the better part of an entire iron field into making the barrels, it's going to require some energy just to keep the storage system running and actually getting the crude oil those barrels hold would take a bit of effort, but this would make a field of chests an absurdly better long term/overflow storage system than a field of tanks.

luarvic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by luarvic »

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”