Must purchase 2nd copy for family multiplayer?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Must purchase 2nd copy for family multiplayer?

Post by Chumfactor »

My wife recently discovered Factorio, and we're thinking about playing a Mutliplayer co-op game. (Up to now, she's been playing her factory on my computer.)

Do we need to purchase a 2nd copy of Factorio for her computer? Is there a [legit] way to share our copy between computers? (We are running the Steam version on Macs.) (If you don't know, "family sharing" of apps is permitted-and-common on Mac; up to 5 computers in the same household.)

Anyway, just curious if there's a legit way to do that. Otherwise, we'll probably hold off on the multi-player thing for a while and just keep working our separate factories.

Thanks!

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Must purchase 2nd copy for family multiplayer?

Post by Zeblote »

You can sign up on the factorio.com website and link your steam account, then download the drm-free version to install on all your computers. If that's too much work, just buy another :D

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

Zeblote wrote:You can sign up on the factorio.com website and link your steam account, then download the drm-free version to install on all your computers. If that's too much work, just buy another :D
No, that sounds perfect. Thanks! :)

MYNAMEIS HP
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MYNAMEIS HP »

i wish you have a good time in family

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

As a side remark, the family sharing allows your 'family'-menbers to play the game also, but only if you do not play the game at the same time. No game via sharing have to run multiple times at the same time.

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

Ok, so I did the link Steam account thing, got the DRM-free version, gave to wife and we're greatly enjoying multi-player -- yay!

One weird thing, though: I talked a friend through this process, and he set up a server so the 3 of us can play, but my the chat (console) keys (~ or \) don't seem to work on her version. Friend & I both have steam version, and chat works fine.

Does DRM-free not have chat/console keys? I noticed that it doesn't appear in any of the controls settings panes for any of us (or maybe I'm just missing it?!)

Thanks!

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Chumfactor wrote:Ok, so I did the link Steam account thing, got the DRM-free version, gave to wife and we're greatly enjoying multi-player -- yay!

One weird thing, though: I talked a friend through this process, and he set up a server so the 3 of us can play, but my the chat (console) keys (~ or \) don't seem to work on her version. Friend & I both have steam version, and chat works fine.

Does DRM-free not have chat/console keys? I noticed that it doesn't appear in any of the controls settings panes for any of us (or maybe I'm just missing it?!)

Thanks!
The chat keybind is called "open lua console" or similar, because that's what it did before multiplayer was added

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

Zeblote wrote:The chat keybind is called "open lua console" or similar, because that's what it did before multiplayer was added
Found it! "Toggle Lua Console" -- last one on the page on 0.12.33.

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 8.18.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 8.18.18 PM.png (182.42 KiB) Viewed 6428 times

Return to “Multiplayer”