Friday Facts #143 - Nat Punching Again

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #143 - Nat Punching Again

Post by slpwnd »

This time we provide some information on the last piece in the puzzle for 0.13 MP improvements: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-143

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #143 - Nat Punching Again

Post by vaderciya »

I got super excited today expecting factorio to release it's next version, but as usually it was postponed again. I'm not mad or anything about that, I somewhat expected it like always.

I'm a little jaded with factorio. I was playing it a week ago, and I got to the point where the game couldn't run anymore because there were too many things going on. But there wasn't enough production to build the (vanilla) items I needed at a less than snail's pace. I have a good, beefy computer too, but for the first time Factorio just couldn't keep up.

So now I'm super bored. It's been way too long since we got any new content, and we can't even go for the achievements yet. Every Friday for me has been "oh they might finally update it!" "No, of course they didn't"

I really want all the new toys and features, everything already in the game has been done so much that it's just mehhhh right now.

It would certainly help if we had a meaningful endgame, and not just "put resources into rocket" "done" ????

Here's to the 27th, I guess

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

what a hilarious intro, oh well.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

vaderciya wrote:I got super excited today expecting factorio to release it's next version, but as usually it was postponed again. I'm not mad or anything about that, I somewhat expected it like always.

I'm a little jaded with factorio. I was playing it a week ago, and I got to the point where the game couldn't run anymore because there were too many things going on. But there wasn't enough production to build the (vanilla) items I needed at a less than snail's pace. I have a good, beefy computer too, but for the first time Factorio just couldn't keep up.

So now I'm super bored. It's been way too long since we got any new content, and we can't even go for the achievements yet. Every Friday for me has been "oh they might finally update it!" "No, of course they didn't"

I really want all the new toys and features, everything already in the game has been done so much that it's just mehhhh right now.

It would certainly help if we had a meaningful endgame, and not just "put resources into rocket" "done" ????

It is in alpha though...
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Ausprit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ausprit »

Someone forgot to finish a paragraph :P
The second problem is that most NATs in use will not allow an incoming packet unless there have already been some data sent to the address and port that originated the packet. After some time

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Post by patmo98 »

Glad to see hole-punching is working. I use manual port-forwarding, but it's nice to know it'll work for more people.

Is it possible for a client to download a missing mod from the server, (or if not that, then an HTTP/HTTPS URL in the mod's info file)? I'm hoping that multiplayer's mod-syncing will work, even if the mods aren't uploaded on the central mod server. This would be really nice when I want my own "variant" because I don't like something in a mod.

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

vaderciya wrote:I got super excited today expecting factorio to release it's next version, but as usually it was postponed again. I'm not mad or anything about that, I somewhat expected it like always.
Same here. When I realized that the 1.6. is so close I was extremly excited and wanted to play it right now. But I didn't want to trash my world after a few days, so I waited. And waited. By now I'm hardly exited any more, except on fridays :|

(Yeah, I know, its better this way and not the devs fault, but this doesn't help)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Moving release past the Steam summer sale makes it.. less exciting to wait for. Altho after 3 weeks of waiting for it most of excitement is already gone.
Last edited by orzelek on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Welp, I'm a bit disappointed about no release this week or next week, but oh well. As usual, I would rather wait an extra week or so to get more bug-free version, than to have it right now or last week with more bugs that could potentially foil up the gameplay, especially in Multiplayer since I will be doing a lot of that once 0.13 hits.

I'm glad you guys are having some luck with the set er thing. Will be awesome to not have to directly under out my IP to everyone I want to play with. :D

I will anxiously be waiting for the 27th, and next Friday Facts about the graphics stuffs!
Image Image Image

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

I'm saddened. :cry: At least there is now a definite probable release date set. I really wish that the release date was before the Steam Summer Sale; now, Factorio will have competition with whatever games I get during the sale... :|

Hopefully, due to the delays, my first experience with the 0.13 update will be quite bug-free... :)
Maybe, during my wait, I should do some of the campaign! :idea:
Last edited by lrb2_ on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slindenau
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by slindenau »

I can live with the 27th.
My mod: "Auto Deploy Destroyers" (follower robots) viewtopic.php?f=97&t=24545

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

When are you going to release this news on Steam?
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

27th June 8-) It will be long week
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

Im fine with a postpone.
i have nothing against the "alpha-stat" the game is in... or its said to be.. but as long as new features are not as good as the devs want them or they find bugs on their own.. it woul be a waste of time and not enjoying for us to play it.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Thanks Dev that we have now a fix date ... and dont must look every hour if is something new.
So it is much better ...

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

Oh well.

I wasn't really expecting a release this weekend. It seems to be a cardinal rule that whenever the devs say that there's a possibility for a new Factorio release, it most certainly is NOT going to happen. It's a good thing Factorio is in such a great state as it is, with loads of content already and great fun to play. With a development speed like this, most other early access games would've been strung up and quartered. The constant Friday Facts probably also help quite a bit.

So... at the rate you're going, with progressively longer development times per patch, I'm estimating the release of the space platform update somewhere around the end of 2017?
It seems reasonable considering this current cycle will clock in at about about 11,3 months on the 27:th, so only a little short of a year, and I recall I read Koverex responding to one of my posts on the matter mentioning the cycles seem to be getting longer and the versiona more content heavy.

Hell, I'm not against it. If this model feels right for you then by all means, I don't mind. But do give the heads up beforehand, yes? Prevents accidental disappointment buildup.

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gacekssj4 »

In FFF 139 we talked about a matching server that is going to be integrated in 0.13.0. The matching server will allow you to mark your multiplayer game as public and announce it to other players, you know how it usually works.
We know, griefers :P

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

Jonathan88 wrote:

It is in alpha though...
Whether or not someone puts the "alpha" label on something is irrelevant. Factorio has the most content and least bugs out of pretty much every game. But you clearly missed the point.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

lancar wrote:Oh well.

I wasn't really expecting a release this weekend. It seems to be a cardinal rule that whenever the devs say that there's a possibility for a new Factorio release, it most certainly is NOT going to happen. It's a good thing Factorio is in such a great state as it is, with loads of content already and great fun to play. With a development speed like this, most other early access games would've been strung up and quartered. The constant Friday Facts probably also help quite a bit.

So... at the rate you're going, with progressively longer development times per patch, I'm estimating the release of the space platform update somewhere around the end of 2017?
It seems reasonable considering this current cycle will clock in at about about 11,3 months on the 27:th, so only a little short of a year, and I recall I read Koverex responding to one of my posts on the matter mentioning the cycles seem to be getting longer and the versiona more content heavy.

Hell, I'm not against it. If this model feels right for you then by all means, I don't mind. But do give the heads up beforehand, yes? Prevents accidental disappointment buildup.
For everything else, there's mods.

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

I just want the end game to actually mean something ):

It's like we put all this work and stuff into the game, and that's great! But then it just... ends...

It is disappointing to have a game as awesome and fulfilling as factorio to just have this placeholder rocket as the so cold end game..

And we all know that the combat in the game is just a place holder because they felt something needed to be there. But let's be honest, the enemies serve no purpose besides to annoy you with alarm sounds and to harvest purple science.

Maybe the next FFF could be a forum of ideas to improve the late game and combat based on what the players actually want? That'd be cool...

Return to “News”