[MOD 0.16.x] Large Chests

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Large Boxes

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:Modular armor's v10 is a bit unstable. It mostly works, but not with games with the older version previously installed. It causes a non-script crash, and I have no idea how to fix it yet.
Thats what I get for trying to add compatability with other mods, as well as a seperate config...
I was able to fix things when I upgraded your Armor mod from 0.08 to 0.10. I had to fiddle around a bit, remove and re-insert modules, and I don't recall the details, but I did get my MkII Power Armor to work again, without losing any of the expensive stuff I had built.
Move this to the other thread? I could use the feedback to determine what went wrong. It just crashes for me.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Move this to the other thread? I could use the feedback to determine what went wrong. It just crashes for me.
I just quoted all the stuff into a post in your ModArmReVamp thread, so the material is present there for easy reference.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Like with your Modular Armor ReVamp mod, I've made a few private changes to this mod, for my own use, and the use of my friends when we play coop MP (I hope to get them together for a grand MP game once 13.1 is out).

I've reduced the inventory size of Medium and Large chests.
Medium Wood from 40 to 24, Medium Iron from 80 to 48, and Medium Steel/Logi from 120 to 72.
Large Wood from 80 to 32, Large Iron from 160 to 64, and Large Steel/Logi from 240 to 96.

I have not altered materials cost, or build time.

I have, however, made the first 2 techs much cheaper, the ones that open up Medium Chests and then Large Chests. The higher techs are unaffected (because I don't yet have a sense of whether Chests 3 and 4 should be reduced in cost).

Chests 1 has been changed to 10 seconds and 20 Red potions.
Chests 2 has been changed to 20 seconds and 30 Red potions and 30 Green Potions.

This reduction in science cost is because to my mind, the Medium and Large Chests are or ought to be valuable because of their larger "surface area" in that more Inserters can interact with them at once, rather than for being true mass storage, high-density storage in the sense that you can store a huge amount of stacks-per-tile.

The reduction in science costs moves them from being mid-game items to being early game items, with the Medium Chests in particular being very early game items, and the Large Chests being early-mid game or late-early game items. So I've "moved them forward in time", so to speak.

Again, that's just my prefence, my thoughts on how this mod could be "more right", so consider this feedback from one player, one user (and very occasional coop MP game arranger), nothing more.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:Like with your Modular Armor ReVamp mod, I've made a few private changes to this mod, for my own use, and the use of my friends when we play coop MP (I hope to get them together for a grand MP game once 13.1 is out).

I've reduced the inventory size of Medium and Large chests.
Medium Wood from 40 to 24, Medium Iron from 80 to 48, and Medium Steel/Logi from 120 to 72.
Large Wood from 80 to 32, Large Iron from 160 to 64, and Large Steel/Logi from 240 to 96.
At least in the case of the 3x3, it is clearly too large. Admittedly, since I am rubbish at balancing anything ever, I just copied Dytech's values, which had the same problem. Will probably cut down values somewhat similarly. The footprint and surface area is sort of the important bit, I agree.
I have not altered materials cost, or build time.
Build time is a half second each.
I have, however, made the first 2 techs much cheaper, the ones that open up Medium Chests and then Large Chests. The higher techs are unaffected (because I don't yet have a sense of whether Chests 3 and 4 should be reduced in cost).

Chests 1 has been changed to 10 seconds and 20 Red potions.
Chests 2 has been changed to 20 seconds and 30 Red potions and 30 Green Potions.
Hmm. I think I might similarly reduce the early techs. At least in the case of the first one. Using red only (I think that it currently uses green) would be sensible I think.
This reduction in science cost is because to my mind, the Medium and Large Chests are or ought to be valuable because of their larger "surface area" in that more Inserters can interact with them at once, rather than for being true mass storage, high-density storage in the sense that you can store a huge amount of stacks-per-tile.

The reduction in science costs moves them from being mid-game items to being early game items, with the Medium Chests in particular being very early game items, and the Large Chests being early-mid game or late-early game items. So I've "moved them forward in time", so to speak.

Again, that's just my prefence, my thoughts on how this mod could be "more right", so consider this feedback from one player, one user (and very occasional coop MP game arranger), nothing more.
Feedback, so long as it doesn't involve excessive amounts of insults or similar, is always appreciated, and I will consider these changes as possible official changes.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V0.0.5

Code: Select all

Reduced storage capacity of larger chests.
1x1, 2x2, 3x3
Wood   : 16, 40, 80 -> 16, 32, 48
Iron     : 32, 80, 160 -> 32, 64, 96
Steel+  : 48, 120, 240 -> 48, 96, 144

Adjusted Tech costs.
50 Red
100 Red, Green
150 Red, Green, Blue
300 Red, Green, Blue, Alien

Time adjusted downward for earlier techs as well.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

One thing I'd like to see added to this mod is a tiny bit of Resistance to metal Chests and more HP and more Resist to larger Chests too.

I'm thinking all Iron Chests should get 1 Physical Resist and 5% Physical Resist, increased to 2 Physical Resist and 20% Physical Resist for all Steel Chests and Smart/Logi Chests. Regardless of size.

Likewise, I think Medium Chests should get twice the HP of Small Chests, and Large Chests should get x3 the HP of Small Chests.

That won't make a huge difference, but sometimes when I play I put valuable stuff in Chests, and then if part of my base gets overrun, those Chests are very easy for the attackers to destroy, e.g. a Chest I use to store a lot of Steel in, or half of (or all of) my Alien Artifacts. If I can use a Steel Chest for that and gain the benefit of a tiny bit of Resist then it'll slow down the attacker, and I might have a better chance to intervene before the Chest is actually destroyed and its contents lost.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Oh, one more. The Chests 5 tech seems to cost the same to invent as the Chests 4 tech. That just rubs me the wrong way.

IIRC they're both 250R/250G/250B.

Maybe change that to 200R/200G/200B for Chests 4, and then for Chests 5 go for 300R/300G/300B and 50% longer time per "tick"?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:Oh, one more. The Chests 5 tech seems to cost the same to invent as the Chests 4 tech. That just rubs me the wrong way.

IIRC they're both 250R/250G/250B.

Maybe change that to 200R/200G/200B for Chests 4, and then for Chests 5 go for 300R/300G/300B and 50% longer time per "tick"?
Pretty sure that wasn't ever the case. Now at least it is 150 each to 250 each + alien for 3/4.
Peter34 wrote:One thing I'd like to see added to this mod is a tiny bit of Resistance to metal Chests and more HP and more Resist to larger Chests too.

I'm thinking all Iron Chests should get 1 Physical Resist and 5% Physical Resist, increased to 2 Physical Resist and 20% Physical Resist for all Steel Chests and Smart/Logi Chests. Regardless of size.

Likewise, I think Medium Chests should get twice the HP of Small Chests, and Large Chests should get x3 the HP of Small Chests.

That won't make a huge difference, but sometimes when I play I put valuable stuff in Chests, and then if part of my base gets overrun, those Chests are very easy for the attackers to destroy, e.g. a Chest I use to store a lot of Steel in, or half of (or all of) my Alien Artifacts. If I can use a Steel Chest for that and gain the benefit of a tiny bit of Resist then it'll slow down the attacker, and I might have a better chance to intervene before the Chest is actually destroyed and its contents lost.
That seems reasonable, I will probably add that.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v6 Increased health for larger chests.

v5 Reduced Inventory Sizes
Redid Tech
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:v6 Increased health for larger chests.
But no resists? Just buffed HP

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Could you possibly add the mk2 and mk3 (silver and gold) larger inventory 1x1 logistic chests that Dytech has, and add a config option to enable disable them?

I think it would be great to have them for my bob's mods game.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

One thing I'd like to see added, is a Tiny Box, with a capacity of 4 slots, made of Wood.

The reason is that often you want to plonk down a row of buffer chests, and slot-limit each of them to 1, 2, 3 or maybe 4 slots, but then in the row of 8 or 10 or however many there are, you forget to limit one of them. Perhaps when you try to paste in the settings, you mis-click, without realizing it.

With the Alt keypress overlay not helping you to see which Chests you've neglected to slot-limit, you have to manually check each and every one, which is cumbersome and annoying. And if you miss a Chest, it'll act as a "black hole", wastefully sucking up vast quantities of stuff.

I think the idea size for a Tiny Box is 4 slots, because then you can still limit it manually to 1, 2 or 3 slots, but if you miss one such chest in a row of many, little harm is actually done, compared to if it happens with a normal Chest with 16 slots, or an Iron Chest with 32.

So it'd just be super convenient to have Tiny Boxes added to this mod as well. I honestly don't care about durability or build cost. It's meant for buffer use. For all I case, it can cost the same time and wood as making a normal Wooden Chest, or even 50% more. I really don't care. It'd still be worth building and using. For that same reason, I don't think there needs to be Iron or Steel versions of it. It is its own thing, used for "buffer" rather than for "storage", and its very virtue is that it has few slots.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v7
Buffer Chest Added. It has low capacity, but It was requested, so whatever.

Chest prices were reworked. No more 25% discount on upgrading from old chests. Also, smart/logistic chests use higher level circuits as appropriate.
Chests are more durable and have armor, based on size and material.
Due to slider bar, chest capacities were reverted to the original Dytech values.
Renamed the mod from Large Boxes to Large Chests. Properly.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

nice little mod.
I like tiny box for assemblers which should output only minimal items.

Is it possible to get 2x1 and 1x2 chests?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

steinio wrote:Hello,

nice little mod.
I like tiny box for assemblers which should output only minimal items.

Is it possible to get 2x1 and 1x2 chests?

Greetings steinio
Possible, Probably. The difficulty is that I have no idea how to make a rotatable object that has alternate dimensions and graphics. Also, why not use a 2x2 box instead?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Yes you're right.

I can use the 2x2 sorry for my blindness.

I just saw them in the 5dim mod i guess and they are also not rotatable - because of this 2x1 and 1x2 seperately.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Colossus wrote:Could you possibly add the mk2 and mk3 (silver and gold) larger inventory 1x1 logistic chests that Dytech has, and add a config option to enable disable them?

I think it would be great to have them for my bob's mods game.
Probably will. However, they will likely be Titanium and Tungsten instead, following that one bob's addon mod...

Also planning on making bobs mod or dytech circuits or whatever be used for the larger chests.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v8
Fixed the Iron and Steel 1x1 boxes.
I accidentally removed the requirement of wood and iron boxes, so they were vanilla cost instead.stead.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v9
Wooden Medium Chests are available from the start now.
Bigger chests usually use some of the next tier material to build. Wood chests use some Iron, Iron chests use some steel. Smart and Logistic chests already used Advanced Circuits or processing units.
Each tech upgrade increases the size of a particular tier. Chests one gives Big Wood and Medium iron, Chests 2 gives Big Iron and Medium steel. Etc.
Two more tiers were added as a result. Tech prices were changed somewhat as well, so they have some level of difference in tiers.

-----

Eventually I plan on adding in extra tiers if Bobs mod or Dytech are installed, as well as using the stronger materials for reinforcement. Large steel chests using titanium or Tungsten for example.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:v7
Buffer Chest Added. It has low capacity, but It was requested, so whatever.
Thanks a lot for those!

I've basically been on a long break from Factorio, but once 0.13.2 or 0.13.3 comes out I'll resume playing, and I very much look forward to using both this mod and your Modular Armor Revamp mod.

Return to “Mods”