Friday Facts #142 - Playtesting

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Alastor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #142 - Playtesting

Post by Alastor »

About that crane.
If it is a train station, it also makes me think a lot of a loading crane.

How about a train station that has an inventory slot that can contain fuels and automatically loads the locomotive with it ?!?
That would be awesome (especially if done with a nice inserter-type animation) and it would most definitely make sense for a station to fuel the train.

It could also help a little in making train stations less cluttered.
In the early game you would have an inserter insert coal into the station (or do it manually in the very early game).
In the late game, you could imagine the station having a "requester chest"-type mechanic where you can set it up to automatically request coal from the logistics network.

I think we need this ! :D

maurojunior2011
Inserter
Inserter

Post by maurojunior2011 »

They could give a preview of how will operate the library of blueprints

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

Alastor wrote:About that crane.

How about a train station that has an inventory slot that can contain fuels and automatically loads the locomotive with it ?!?
That would be awesome (especially if done with a nice inserter-type animation) and it would most definitely make sense for a station to fuel the train.

In the early game you would have an inserter insert coal into the station (or do it manually in the very early game).
In the late game, you could imagine the station having a "requester chest"-type mechanic where you can set it up to automatically request coal from the logistics network.

You can almost think that ... done.

In what I think train station could get condition about availibility and departure :
A unloading train station could have a condition to call a train when chest are sufficiently empty to empty all wagons completely
A loading train station could have a condition when it's chest are sufficiently full to fill completely all wagons with circuit network
A waiting train station could hold trains if no train stations of requested type (using circuit network to hold information) are calling trains

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

y.petremann wrote:
torham wrote:
DedlySpyder wrote:Ok, I inserted a rail into the "crane" image, and it fits. So, I definitely think it is a train station.
Tin-Foil Hat Train Station
There is suspicious amount of wires around the rails. My guess that this would be more like counting/redirecting station for trains, or cargo reader. It also might be rail power connector, for electrical train engines?
From the GFX wiki, this is placed under the train station section DOT FINAL ...
My biggest hope for the crane thing is that it is some sort of sensor that you place next to where each cargo wagon is going to stop when at a station,
and that it will allow you to create a circuit that holds the train until certain conditions are met.

testasdf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by testasdf »

y.petremann wrote:
Alastor wrote:About that crane.

You can almost think that ... done.

In what I think train station could get condition about availibility and departure :
A unloading train station could have a condition to call a train when chest are sufficiently empty to empty all wagons completely
A loading train station could have a condition when it's chest are sufficiently full to fill completely all wagons with circuit network
A waiting train station could hold trains if no train stations of requested type (using circuit network to hold information) are calling trains
"Call a train" good idea.
Hope that would be possible using circuit network conditions in some version.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

On the crane thingy.

First I hoped it would be some kind of fluid (un)loader filling in fluids from above into the new fluid tanker that we're so eagerly waiting for :)
Then I noticed the crane does not have a pipe connection, so it's probably not this.

In the shadow you can see two thin lines, which I assume are crane ropes, so it seems to be... a crane?

But what should a crane be for? We have the classic setup of chests and inserters to insert/remove stuff from wagons an trains. I don't think they'd create extra loaders for trains alone having their own storage, that seems to be a bit redundant (inserter<->crane, wagon<->train) and so far they have avoided redundancy when possible and use the generic way (which I am grateful for).

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

dee- wrote:-snip-
it's a train stop, factorio GFX lists it as a train stop.

Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ext3h »

testasdf wrote:"Call a train" good idea.
That's already possible, actually. Have a "personal" train parked somewhere, with next issued stop at a "Personal" train stop. Disassemble the stop, and the train will continue looking for it. When you need a train, just place a new stop, set the name to "Personal" and wait for the train to arrive.

Islacrusez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Islacrusez »

Ext3h wrote:
testasdf wrote:"Call a train" good idea.
That's already possible, actually. Have a "personal" train parked somewhere, with next issued stop at a "Personal" train stop. Disassemble the stop, and the train will continue looking for it. When you need a train, just place a new stop, set the name to "Personal" and wait for the train to arrive.
And you intend to automate this how exactly?

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

I want to play factorio so badly, but I don't want to start a new world when I have to start over so soon anyway ._.

Its probably better to take your time and make it stable rather than having the games fun ruined by bugs and crashes. This doesn't ease waiting, though :x

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

Zeblote wrote:
Pavgran wrote:What is that thing in the lower right of the picture that looks like crane?
I wonder if it's some sort of rail sensor to read the contents of train wagons?
It seems to me that the trains stations got a re-texture like the trains themselves

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
Pavgran wrote:What is that thing in the lower right of the picture that looks like crane?
I wonder if it's some sort of rail sensor to read the contents of train wagons?
It seems to me that the trains stations got a re-texture like the trains themselves
But the arm to the side makes no sense for a train station, so I assumed it's a sensor for the train

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

Sebb767 wrote:I want to play factorio so badly, but I don't want to start a new world when I have to start over so soon anyway ._.

Its probably better to take your time and make it stable rather than having the games fun ruined by bugs and crashes. This doesn't ease waiting, though :x
I'm sure you could start a new world now and continue your save without any problems when the new version is out.

lrb2_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lrb2_ »

For all of you wondering about the crane graphic, it's most likely the "Train Station" mentioned in FFF 138:
Robert wrote:Train Station - read the contents of the stopped train and control trains by disabling/enabling the station
If so, then I would assume that it would read all of the items in the train engine and its cars just by stopping at it, maybe...
Kewlhotrod wrote:it's a train stop, factorio GFX lists it as a train stop.
If it is a "train stop," then what happened to the current "train stop," as they both have the same name?
AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:It seems to me that the trains stations got a re-texture like the trains themselves
If I correctly presume that you meant "train stops," then possibly...

By the way, for clarification:
Train Stop: Current named stopping point for trains at train stations
Train Station: The whole setup for loading or unloading a train, including a train stop and inserters. Also the name mentioned above.

roaringdragon2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roaringdragon2 »

I am pretty sure that when I use that command, it is going to be somewhere around 39% spawners and 59% pollution.

My first thought with the train stop was a power armor station.

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

Marc90 wrote:I'm sure you could start a new world now and continue your save without any problems when the new version is out.

I'm not sure about save compatibility, but even if it would be possible: The 0.13 changes, especially the inserter ones, would probably screw up the factory. Also, the 0.13 game start is probably a lot different (no stacks at the beginning, sience nervs, ...) and I'd like to check this out, too.

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

The crane thing is new graphics for train station confirmed by V453000 here on reddit.

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KatherineOfSky »

The new train stop/crane looks like an old-fashioned railroad signal -- the types with the arms.

I am excited by the prospect of a larger inventory. I HOPE that it is tied to armor *research* and not the items that are worn. I often like to run out into the wilderness with my "construction" suit on (6 exoskeletons, 5 pers. roboports) to create outposts.... and then switch on my "battle suit" if I run into any biters. I REALLY don't want to lose any materials in the transition between taking one off and putting the other on.

Circuit boxes look great. Love the shortened rail mining time too. Knowing the evolution factor is also going to help us plan better.

The update is looking really great!
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

Vic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vic »

Ah, cant wait release.

Serge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Serge »

nah, the crane has to be a liquid loader. Otherwise, why would it have a crane? Perhaps we'll get tank wagons for our trains and lose the oil barrels in .13. I hope we can transport all kinds of liquids with it

Return to “News”