Updating the wiki

Anything related to the content on our wiki (https://wiki.factorio.com/)

Moderator: Bilka

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Updating the wiki

Post by immibis »

Just so everyone knows, I'm adding a whole lot more information about prototypes to the wiki, starting by completing this list: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... efinitions

And, of course, so someone can revert it if I'm doing this horribly wrong! :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Updating the wiki

Post by kovarex »

Great! You saved me some work man :)
I will go through it after the release and check some unknown values or small errors.

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

It's great to see the wiki coming along, thanks!
I'm working on pages for the capsules/nades and adding snazzy animated GIFs to show how the work, assuming I don't muck everything up. Still a wiki-noob. :P
If it turns out okay, I bet they'll work great for showing how the belt/inserter/train setups work.

A more fleshed-out wiki will probably help attract more players too. Reading Minecraft and Buildcraft wikis are what finally got me to buy Minecraft a few years ago.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I tried to make a new Main page.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... n_page_new

To the translations: I wanted to make it like in Mediawiki. Everything else won't work, because it spoils the namespace with names, that doesn't make clear, which language is meant. Every page has an english name plus language-subpage. Redirect pages can then handle page names in other languages, if really needed.

Of course not finished yet. I didn't understand, how the mediawiki made that template-stuff. :) No time left now. Use the discussion-page or this thread for suggestions.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

I was just correcting some errors about the capsules, mostly the difference between laser and bullet

aussiegaylord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by aussiegaylord »

i like ow you guys are all helping with the wiki. but one thing that i like to check is Wikia. i find it is an easier place to navigate than the wiki ( probably my aesthetic mind liking all the pretty pictures :roll: ) i have been updating that slowly as well but doing things like that take loooooong time. and helping the devs in this way is a great way to help them out.

t0mt0m
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t0mt0m »

Great idea making the Wiki the "wiki way" regarding the translation. I took the new main page and made an initial de_de version of it (not very much translated yet, but it is a starting point) :)

So if you are looking for some help maintaining the wiki, I can help a bit (even though I do not have much experience with MediaWiki) :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Very cool, that spares me to make an example translation... :)

t0mt0m
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t0mt0m »

ssilk wrote:Very cool, that spares me to make an example translation... :)
no problem, you're welcome :)

btw, can you enable clean paths names (rewrite URLs)? The current URLs are hard to read/remember so they should look like, e.g. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heineken

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hölle, ja! Prost ! :)

... well, that is a server thing. They need to install the wiki on an own so called virtual server. (E.g. wiki.factorio.com).
There are also 2-4 plugins, that could be useful...

But I think this is not so important.

I think it is much more important, that the content is good, and that means currently:
- update Pipe Network
-- distinct here between energy production (already existing) and chemical production. I think before that can be done, we need to play it thru and wait for updates.
- add blueprints etc.
- begin to make much more pics, some animated pics, because some things can be explained much better so (my dream is to have some maps/scenarios for that)

PS: I've moved some of the German pages, I think not everyone has the rights for that.

t0mt0m
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t0mt0m »

@ssilk
hab gerade erst gesehen wo du her kommst :)

back to english:

you are right, content quality has to come first and is crucial for a wiki.
Thanks for moving some pages, but now I have the "problem", that I have to link to a page either called "Transport network/de" (and has the same heading) or have to link to "Transportnetzwerk" which then opens a page forwarding me to "Transport network/de". Any ideas how to circumvent this behavior? :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Naja, ich hab's ja auch vorhin erst reingeschrieben, weil ich mir dachte, dass es die Kommunikation erleichterte :)

Hm, you can use of course both versions, but I would keep it all in English. You can write the links so:
[[Transport network/de|Transportnetzwerk]].

Looks for more work, but in the end it is much less, because you don't have to care: did I already translate that page? If you translate the page names, you lose the reverse direction. Now we have both. :)

But in general I have too less experience, so be free to dig the web for better ideas, I never won't say "no", if there is a good reason.

t0mt0m
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t0mt0m »

I have had a quick look at the MediaWiki docu but haven't found anything different, so it seems the way to go.

By the way, should the german translation use the formal "Sie" or informal "Du"? My personal preference is the informal one...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think "Du", because this game is definitely not for formal people. :)

t0mt0m
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t0mt0m »

Last time and then I am quiet (to disturb you not too much ;-) )

Do you have a schedule when to change the default wiki landing page? Right now I start here https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... =Main_Page and can only jump directly to the pages I edited. I do not know how much work it is to move the remaining german pages to the new format, but from what I have found yet, there are not so much german pages (or am I wrong)? I also do not know what the status of the other languages is, as they also need the change.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Disturb me? In a forum? Come on! :)

No schedule planned.

I would say I try to find 80-90% of all translated pages and bring the homepage in a form, which is useable. That takes some time.

And take into account, I have 0.9 even downloaded yet (writing with iPad), not enough time till now. I'm one of those poor guys which have a girlfriend ("what are you writing now? Put away this stupid flat apple thing and come to me!" " But they have a new version!" "You said it is a test version..." "But still well worki.." "I'm a release version...")

So it might take some weeks... Depends also on weather. :)

Return to “Wiki Talk”