Timings

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Timings

Post by Sir Nick »

As the wiki is rather lacking of those and much of info is dispersed around multipaged threads, I think it would be better to gather them all in one spot.

Electric mining drill mines 30 ore per minute (wiki) i.e. 0.5 ore/sec
Electric furnace processes 36 ore/min <=> 0.6 ore/sec

Unloading a chest on a belt with a
  • regular inserter 0.86 item/sec
  • fast insterter 2.1 item/sec
Assembly machine real crafting time is Time/Crafting speed (I know, it is in the Wiki, but it is frustratingly unclear)

Several relations derived from these:
If feeding electric furnaces straight from electric mining drills, you can get away with 1:1, however, 5:6 should be better
If feeding them from fast inserters (eg. train station), the relation is 3.5 furnaces per, or 7 furnaces per 2 fast inserters.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Timings

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Only valid, when using no modules and for the inserters this is more 1 per sec for basic and 2.4 for fast.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

The worst timings issue I have is with copper cabling in a level 2 assembler or better in an simple direct Cable-to-Circuit setup. There's always a processing delay because the inserters can't keep it stocked on copper before it's processed.

2.4 per second doesn't seem to keep up with a level 2 factory to keep it overstocked, or maybe it's a belt speed issue?

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Zourin wrote:The worst timings issue I have is with copper cabling in a level 2 assembler or better in an simple direct Cable-to-Circuit setup. There's always a processing delay because the inserters can't keep it stocked on copper before it's processed.

2.4 per second doesn't seem to keep up with a level 2 factory to keep it overstocked, or maybe it's a belt speed issue?
Research the inserter item stack size bonus. It's awesome.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

immibis wrote:
Zourin wrote:The worst timings issue I have is with copper cabling in a level 2 assembler or better in an simple direct Cable-to-Circuit setup. There's always a processing delay because the inserters can't keep it stocked on copper before it's processed.

Research the inserter item stack size bonus. It's awesome.
Yeah, it's great, but the issue is that the circuits require 3 cables, but the factory only produces 2 at a time. Unless the copper cabling factory is running *faster* than the Circuit factory (3 cables/cycle), having more than level 1 doesn't help and it still takes two long-arms to keep the circuit factory fed. I usually juice the cable factory with speed mods, but that only makes the feeding issue worse where the fast-arm can't keep up at all with the copper bars. Even without speed mods, the fast arm can't feed the factory fast enough, it's always waiting for more copper. Inserter stack size is worthless when it comes to picking items off a belt feed. If it were drawing out of a chest, that would be different, but LOADING the chest would require multiple inserters unless you're doing something bizzarre like an arm-chest relay

I'm pretty sure that copper cabling has a much faster build-time than listed on the wiki. Even at 0.75 speed, keeping it full on a standard belt line can take a large number of inserters to optimize the throughput and keep the factory running.

The only solution I can see is manual chest buffering directly at the cable factory, and having inserter stack size upgrades to increase throughput per arm-swing
Last edited by Zourin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Zourin wrote: Yeah, it's great, but the issue is that the circuits require 3 cables, but the factory only produces 2 at a time. Unless the copper cabling factory is running *faster* than the Circuit factory (3 cables/cycle), having more than level 1 doesn't help and it still takes two long-arms to keep the circuit factory fed. I usually juice the cable factory with speed mods, but that only makes the feeding issue worse where the fast-arm can't keep up at all with the copper bars. Even without speed mods, the fast arm can't feed the factory fast enough, it's always waiting for more copper.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do... make everything the same speed?
Zourin wrote: I'm pretty sure that copper cabling has a much faster build-time than listed on the wiki. Even at 0.75 speed, keeping it full on a standard belt line
Solution: don't do that, it makes the stack size bonus not apply.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Zourin wrote: The only solution I can see is manual chest buffering directly at the cable factory, and having inserter stack size upgrades to increase throughput per arm-swing
You have solved the puzzle. But there are more solutions. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

My Circuit factory

and for more see my YouTube https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=2239

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

As I found, it seems the best to have cables to circuits at their natural 3:2 ratio - 3 assemblers producing cabling and 2 producing circuits, makes a nice little modular setup. All assemblers must ofc have same speed. With an abundant supply of raw materials this should be producing circuits at (AM1, no modules) 2 per second.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

in-game build time for copper cable 0.5 seconds.. with a level 2 assembler, that's .67 seconds.

In order for you to go 1:1 with an electronic circuit factory, you'd need to apply at least 50% speed. That's 2 Speed 2's @30% each

That brings the speed of the L2 assembler to 1.2, or .41 seconds cyeecle time, or 2.44 cycles/second

That's splitting hairs when it comes to a belt-fed Fast-arm, but that's the balance point on timing.. it goes to hell with L3 assemblers, or if there are ANY interruptions in the supply feed. One belt-fed fast arm cannot keep pace with the 1.25 base manufacturing speed Cable factory that's chipped to match pace with a Circuit factory.. although you could get away with an L2 circuit factory fed by an L3 Cable factory that's Purple/Green chipped instead.

Edit:

One of the most efficient of my designs to date, but only stable up to L2.. the belt-feed for the copper (bottom) was for testing purposes.

Edit Again:
That's an impractically huge factory :)

Challenge: The grand reduction ratio for all factories to keep a blue pack factory running at all times :)

Return to “General discussion”