Halp, I cant seem to play demo.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
lycan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Halp, I cant seem to play demo.

Post by lycan »

I have been watching people play and the trailer and im hooked, i want to try it before i proceed to purchase. I downloaded the demo and started it up, it looked like it started up fine but when i start a new game the game loads and its a black screen with only the bottom right thing that holds weapons and armor, the rest is comepletely black. I still get sound and other audio cues letting me know its still running and not crashed or frozen, i just cant see anything. Is it the game still loading or just a memory problem? I would love to try the demo and i keep encountering this problem. Any advice or help would be lovely. You guys are doing a great job and keep it up, im very excited to play!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Halp, I cant seem to play demo.

Post by kovarex »

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Could you specify your system and hardware specs? (GPU is important).
kovarex wrote:Could you try to put the low graphics mode on?
Options->graphics->low graphics->restart factorio.

lycan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lycan »

I do run on low graphics mode, it crashed when i first started and it told me to run it in low graphics ( sorry i forgot about the first crash)

Intel Atom 1.60 GHZ
1 GB Ram

Thats all i could find.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I see, by GPU I meant Video card, factorio requires some amount of video memory (256 or 512Mb currently)

lycan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lycan »

Ill see if i can find the gpu, ill post after this if i do.

lycan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lycan »

It doesn't say the amount but just the card name. its a Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series.

lycan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lycan »

I looked up the card on google and it says i have 400mhz

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

It looks like you are one of those unlucky pepole who have built in graphic core into CPU. For some reason Factorio doesn't seem to work with these (probably incompatibility of games Graphical engine with latests APU-s).
You can read some more infor on similar problems in next two threads:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=2162
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=1754
Till now it semed that only pepole with AMD based systems were afected but this confirms that that is not the case.

@Developers
I suggest you contact with Allegro developers to track this bug down as the number of computers with APU-s (CPU with built in Graphics card) are becoming more and more popular.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Actually those specs look like 'Netbook' specs. A game like this will not run on most netbook, even the higher end netbook it might run but would run very badly. netbooks are not gaming machines, they are meant for light workstation usage. Basically the computer specs simply aren't high enough to run the game. I don't know of any netbook that comes with a dedicated graphics card. The common netbook brand here are called eMachines. You don't need a gaming computer to play the game, but you can't play it on a minimalist machine either (Which Netbooks are).

P.S. I think this because I have a eMachine PC sitting next to me and it has similar specs.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Yes Intel Atom CPU's are only used for Netbooks or tablet computers so I would also say that the has Netbook computer. But from my expirience Netbook computers are not as crappy as you might think.
I must admit that I was realy surprised when I tried using Acer Aspire One for the first time. I would have never sad that it could ever be posible to play HD movie (MKV) using BS Player but it is.
I also tried some older games on it and they ran pretty decently.

So based on the fact that Factorio can run on most 5 to 10 years old computers I gues it would probably run on that Netbook to as it's performance is not much worse than performance of those old computers.
The only problem I'm noticing lately is that Factorio is having problems running on computers which have GPU built into the CPU itself.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

TGS wrote:P.S. I think this because I have a eMachine PC sitting next to me and it has similar specs.
Do you dare to install Factorio on it? Testing Factorio on one more computer couldn't hurt.

logarithm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by logarithm »

"On mobile devices images must be a power of 2 in size, this means a size of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024, for example 256x1024 is a valid image size."
mobile devices = mobile GPU
Factorio don't do that, so maybe this is the reason?

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

SilverWarior wrote:
TGS wrote:P.S. I think this because I have a eMachine PC sitting next to me and it has similar specs.
Do you dare to install Factorio on it? Testing Factorio on one more computer couldn't hurt.
Tried, I get
Couldn't create atlas bitmap (size 2048x2047).
Probably not enough video memory.
Turning low graphics options on, try to start the game again
Then after starting again I get a basic-beacon.png couldn't be loaded lol.

(From 0.8.8 Win32)

Return to “Gameplay Help”