Best mods to make game harder?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Best mods to make game harder?

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
without changing too much vanilla? I play coop.

What you recommend?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Best mods to make game harder?

Post by aka13 »

nuhll wrote:Hi,
without changing too much vanilla? I play coop.

What you recommend?
Staying completely vanilla I'd recommend RSO and Marathon. Basically makes the game focus more on logistics.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I dont think it what i want.

I would like more enemys and or harder. I have the evolution thing mod, but its only early "harder" and then...

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

The true test is starting the game with 100% evolution factor. :evil:

But if that's not to your liking, Bob and dytech have mods that add tougher enemies, and Bob's electronics override makes it more difficult (but much more fun) to make circuits, due to complex recipes, which in turn makes green/blue science much more challenging (along with anything that requires circuits).

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

It is pretty hard to make combat harder whilst staying close to vanilla.
This is due to the main focus of the game laying on base-building instead of fighting.

Plain harder enemys would definately be doable, however, it wouldnt really make the game harder but just more grindy when expanding since you´d have to use the same tactics but with a slower advance towards the biter bases.

As mentioned, there are some of Bob´s Mods that focus on combat / weapons. Just using the Enemy-Part would make combat harder; Using Enemys and new / better Weapons combined, combat would be harder at first but can get easier later on (just like the vanilla combat-evolution, just longer).

I havent used Dytech myself, therefore i cant talk about combat related stuff there.

joe_da_cro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joe_da_cro »

check out the mod misanthrope. basically makes biters target your power lines and rail etc. Personally i dont like the rail attacking part and there is a mod called friendly rail ( or something along the lines of this) which makes the biters not attack rail lines or signals.

this pretty much makes it so anything that is human made is target-able by the biters and also it changes the way that biters work. do a search for the mod names and you should find them in this forum

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I want to make it hard, not annoying.... (if they destroy rails)

Why there is nothing with more war...? More enemys, different enemys, clever enemys... such things?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

nuhll wrote:I want to make it hard, not annoying.... (if they destroy rails)

Why there is nothing with more war...? More enemys, different enemys, clever enemys... such things?
Because the game is centered around factory with combat as a side thing and not the other way around.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Yeah. i Understand that. BUT you are within a few hours finished with the game (i dont mean build rocket, but you have all things).

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

joe_da_cro wrote:check out the mod misanthrope. basically makes biters target your power lines and rail etc. Personally i dont like the rail attacking part and there is a mod called friendly rail ( or something along the lines of this) which makes the biters not attack rail lines or signals.
It's pretty easy to modify Misanthrope to make the biters not target rails. In one of the scripts (named imaginatively "libs/biter_targets.lua") there is a list of targets the biters go for, you can delete from or add to that list as you wish. A much better option than the friendly rails mod.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You can also use bob's enemies mod to give even more types of enemies. I hear it works with misanthrope too. I think the madness doesn't really start with my mod until after about pollution factor 0.6. The only annoying things you'll see before then is big worms that spit explosions, poision and fire.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Natural Evolution Mod aims at making the game more challenging.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

I suggest natural evolution, Misanthrope with adjusted biter targets (as mentioned earlier in the thread) and maybe bobs enemies, to get a really hard combat experience. Finally, get my Robot Army mod to help automate fighting and have an active defence against the biters.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Which of these mods work with the newest patch?

Its rly annoying to try mods and they wont work anymore.

Also natural evolution states its not working with misantrhope.
COMPATIBILITY
Multiplayer: Maybe. Not sure, I don't play multiplayer, so let me know.
If crash, try to disable "Harder Endgame" in the config.

Misanthrope : NO!
Robot army looks very ugly, but the idea behind is GREAT. Should be added to vanilla.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

nuhll wrote:Which of these mods work with the newest patch?

Its rly annoying to try mods and they wont work anymore.

Also natural evolution states its not working with misantrhope.
COMPATIBILITY
Multiplayer: Maybe. Not sure, I don't play multiplayer, so let me know.
If crash, try to disable "Harder Endgame" in the config.

Misanthrope : NO!
Robot army looks very ugly, but the idea behind is GREAT. Should be added to vanilla.
Only Natural Evolution Expansion and Misanthrope are incomparable, NE Buildings and NE Enemies should have no problem.

mojo2012
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mojo2012 »

hi, you can try my mods: mojo-ressource processing and mojo-advanced-tech (both on on the old mod portal).

What they offer:
Base on vanilla they make processing ores way harder by having a lot of by products and waste that needs to be dealt with. Also some electronics recipes are changed to make use of the new ores (from bobores).
I tried to stay true to the vanilla experience (not addimg stuff the bob way ;)).

as both mods are still alpha (beta at best) they may contain bugs or are not as balanced as you would expect it.

But I have been playing oop formabout 20 h and so far it turns out to be a lot of fun ;)

currently I am also working on an ancient alien exploration mod ;)

btw, help appreciated, if anyone wants to join me.

the mods:
https://github.com/mojo2012/factorio-mo ... processing
https://github.com/mojo2012/factorio-mojo-advanced-tech
Last edited by mojo2012 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

nuhll wrote:Robot army looks very ugly, but the idea behind is GREAT. Should be added to vanilla.
I agree it's ugly, I am no artist! I need some Yuoki magic I think.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Its just all so bad. I dont understand it.

I want to install 6 Mods.

Not a single fuckin mod say for WHAT VERSION ITS WORKING. So you have to try, okay...

2 MODS NEED A SPECIAL (CASE SENSITIVE) REWRITE OF THEIR DIRECTORY WITH A HIDDEN ERROR ON STARTUP (THanks for wasting my time)

Robot Arms dont work.

Its like 1912 in first world war.

Edit:
2 mods need other mods to function, so i download it, then it tells me i need another FUCKLOAD of mods.

Is it too easy to display all needed mods DIRECT?????? or make them together in one package? I dont get it srsly.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

nuhll wrote:...
Edit:
2 mods need other mods to function, so i download it, then it tells me i need another FUCKLOAD of mods.

Is it too easy to display all needed mods DIRECT?????? or make them together in one package? I dont get it srsly.
Are you looking at the dependencies? Because if the dependency has a "?" then it's not mandatory (it's just telling the game which order it needs to be loaded).

As for packaging, no, there is a specific way that mods have to be packaged so they can't currently be grouped.

Return to “Modding discussion”