Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Regular reports on Factorio development.
ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #140 - Soon

Post by ratchetfreak »

bobingabout wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:- why is the red wide connected from the chest to the roboport?
I think that one is so that it reads the entire contents of the logistic area to the combinatory.
Remember, a wire doesn't have to connect directly from one device to another, it can go from entity to entity to entity, as long as the chain connects between the 2 objects you want to communicate with each other.
Or (more likely) it gets the robo count of the network, there is a rapid inserter inserting robots from the storage chest.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Bi0nicM4n wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
Bi0nicM4n wrote:
equitime77 wrote:...Not sure exactly what is going on with the train station...
It's that a single inserter can pickup different items from the train (be it walls, belts, etc) in amounts specified in constant combinators (those work as filters).
Three questions to the given picture:
- why is the red wide connected from the chest to the roboport?
- In the picture the green "stack filter inserter" ist set to filter the single item "wall" but not the violet filter inserter between the roboport and the box to filter all of the demanded items?
- the inserter from the wagon has a filter set to a single item and would only load walls - true?

Thank you for helping a layman
Stack inserter (green one) has it's circuit network operation mode set to "set filters", so it reads signal of red wire and interprets it as a list of items it should get. And it's no matter whether violet inserter has filters or not.
This is not so clear cut to me as the green stack inserter has two boxes on his right top specifying if the inserter should get its instructions what to handle either from the circuit or the whole network. neither seems to be visibly selected thought.
The "set filters" button is only part of that story - or?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

It's now 1/6/16! Did you make it? :D

Ilirea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ilirea »

Can't wait to play the new Update and get the new achievements on Steam! I seriously hope you'll manage to enable the update today :D

Toomicek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Toomicek »

Ilirea wrote:Can't wait to play the new Update and get the new achievements on Steam! I seriously hope you'll manage to enable the update today :D
Everything in our country is meant to be done on the end of week, so wait for release FFF :D

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:Then it's weird, why the chest is connected to combinator, if RP provides info about whole storage. (I wonder if signals from storage chest are doubled then...)
I guess, it's more just a brief example, without much care about uber-efficiency)
I think you are right about the doubling, and also about this being a brief example. The important parts of the example still works, and anyone copying it directly will have a good opportunity to learn to debug a circuit network :D

Or the wire actually goes directly between the roboport and the combinatior, the hanging wire just happens to pass the chest's connection point. But it doesn't look exactly right for this.
brunzenstein wrote:This is not so clear cut to me as the green stack inserter has two boxes on his right top specifying if the inserter should get its instructions what to handle either from the circuit or the whole network. neither seems to be visibly selected thought.
The "set filters" button is only part of that story - or?
A bit above "set filters" it says "Circuit connection". That probably changes to "Logistics network" if you click the other box. A visible selection would be a slight improvement, sure.

Panasonic1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Panasonic1 »

Toomicek wrote:
Ilirea wrote:Can't wait to play the new Update and get the new achievements on Steam! I seriously hope you'll manage to enable the update today :D
Everything in our country is meant to be done on the end of week, so wait for release FFF :D
It is bad idea to have release at the end of the week. It may cause no weekend but fixing bugs in office :P

xxninjaxx25
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xxninjaxx25 »

I really hope they release today and don't push it back for weeks. Really excited about this and cleared all my college stuff so I can play An all nighter!

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

This is all great news! :D

One suggestion though: an upgrade to the flamethrower could make it oxygenated. It would use less fuel and burn much hotter this way, and of course the flame would be BIGGER! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Panasonic1 wrote:It is bad idea to have release at the end of the week. It may cause no weekend but fixing bugs in office :P
Factorio bugs are usually very specific and multiplayer or mod related. Considering very big chunk of update work was dedicated to multiplayer - I believe MP will have much less bugs. Also considering 0.13 will most likely break quite most old mods - thus modders should spend some time updating them, so game will be vanilla for everyone for a bit.
Stated above makes me believe there won't be too much to fix in first weekend : )
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

patmo98
Inserter
Inserter

Post by patmo98 »

RobertTerwilliger wrote:Factorio bugs are usually very specific and multiplayer or mod related. Considering very big chunk of update work was dedicated to multiplayer - I believe MP will have much less bugs.

I hope you're right, but historically, Factorio's tende to have a lot of crash bugs fixed soon after release:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6661
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14009

And, this is probably how it should be. I'd rather have an experimental release sooner, rather than wait for more bugs to fixed. It gives time for some of the mods to be updated by the time we get a stable release.

Sebb767
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sebb767 »

patmo98 wrote:I'd rather have an experimental release sooner, rather than wait for more bugs to fixed.
True. And a small development game will never find as many bugs as such a big community. Not to mention how many complex contraptions are possible. So as long as there are no really obvious bugs let us do the testing phase ;)

Also, Factorio is currently sold as beta/early access. As long as it is playable and bugs are being fixed, I'm fine.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

patmo98 wrote:
RobertTerwilliger wrote:Factorio bugs are usually very specific and multiplayer or mod related. Considering very big chunk of update work was dedicated to multiplayer - I believe MP will have much less bugs.

I hope you're right, but historically, Factorio's tende to have a lot of crash bugs fixed soon after release:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6661
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14009

And, this is probably how it should be. I'd rather have an experimental release sooner, rather than wait for more bugs to fixed. It gives time for some of the mods to be updated by the time we get a stable release.
Okay, I've joined at 0.12.something (5, I think), so this will be my first big Factorio update : )
However, according to these changelogs, 0.12 was much more stable than 0.11, so I still have a hope to have quite stable game on release.

//viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25989 - this is by far the coolest update ever ; )
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "Ищу, теряя" (rus, 2013)

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Break all the mods.

volundr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by volundr »

So excite! Prepared for life to end!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:Break all the mods.
I'm sure it will.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

bobingabout wrote:
cpy wrote:Break all the mods.
I'm sure it will.
Or no update and no mod breaking :D

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

Will achievements be available for non-steam users at some point?

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

AlexTheNotsogreat wrote:Will achievements be available for non-steam users at some point?
Yes, they will. It's likely they will already be there in the first release of 0.13.
See this FFF: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-125

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Suspence is killing me!

Return to “News”