Weapons balanced on usage not tech level

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

Weapons balanced on usage not tech level

Post by stylistic_sagi »

This is maybe already suggested (yes i have searched for it but there are so many weapon suggestions)
With that said you will probably have you stomach full of it and stil here i am posting some suggestions about it :)

First of all there is to little diffrence between damage types (physical - explosion - laser- fire - electric).
It would be nice that every weapon even late game has it's purpose and would be used, even the pistol.

Physical: should do almost no damage vs rocks buildings three's and alien spawn bases.
explosion: should do extra damage vs rocks buildings three's and alien spawn bases. but less to biters
Laser: should do good damage vs everything
electric should stun enemies preventing them to move.
Fire: should have an alternate effect for a few seconds, to biters slowdown and spitters preventing from attacking, on spawn bases preventing them to spawn biters. If a three got hit even a small bit it should burn completely down.

Then some weapons may be acting diffrent:
Pistol: should not slow you down when you shoot, so it would be a good hit and run and still shoot weapon.
SMG should do extra damage, there should be no physical weapon better to shoot single biters.
Shotgun: Currently WAY to OVERPOWERED, range should be significantly reduced, it is good against pacs of biters comming from one direction. should not be effective against buildings or spawn bases att all.
Normal shotgun: should do extra damage then the combat shotgun combat shotgun: just have faster rate of fire but of course drains ammo quite fast.
Flamethrower: mostly explained in fire but it should have a much longer range It would be nice to have flamthrower ammo in empty and full variants. When you shoot it you get empty cannisters of flamer ammo so you can fill it again like oil barrel works and you have a non resource cost weapon apart from oil.
Grenades: Should have a small detonation timer of 1-3 seconds when it lands. with this "handicap" the grenade should do more damage.
Missiles: should just like grenades be very effective against buildings (normal rocket 2 shots to destroy base, explosion rockets 3 shots). It should be less effective against biters. this will also descourages people to attack them with them and get them selfs blow up with their own missiles

Another idea to match with the production/consumption mind of factorio to give weapons durability like tools. so they eventually break down and you have to craft another one.

p.s. i know there is somewhere a topic wich fuses all of these related topic, since i don't know wich one you prefer this to be in i leave it to you to move it to it's proper destination ;).
I do hope i might have givven an idea worthy of development.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Weapons balanced on usage not tech level

Post by ssilk »

A) Please don't use colors. They cannot be seen in every layout of this website.

B) The different damage-types are already implemented, but not used much in the vanilla.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

The piercing shotgun is hilarious when you think about it. In terns of damage it's something like taking 16 oversized armor piercing cartridges and bundling them together, the resulting shell would need to be fired from a 50mm cannon.

It seems to be based around the idea of buckshot, but the thing is because of Newton's impact depth theory buckshot can't really be armor-piercing, for that you need long narrow darts, they also need to be stabilized so they don't hit side on perhaps with fins since you aren't going to spin-stabilize them. Real shotguns can fire such armor piercing darts, but only one dart per cartridge. To have 16 in a single cartridge you need to make it 16x bigger. Hence the 50mm cannon.

While the piercing shotgun is entertaining, I sometimes do prefer they would make up their mind whether its buckshot or a single slug with high stopping power.

stylistic_sagi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by stylistic_sagi »

ssilk wrote:A) Please don't use colors. They cannot be seen in every layout of this website.

B) The different damage-types are already implemented, but not used much in the vanilla.
A well best remove them fom the messaging tools then lol

B that's why i suggested it since it had no effect over the vanilla game (im not a modding player i like things vanilla, i know myself if i start with modding then it takes not long before i download rediculas mods).

but in the meanwhile i got informed that apparently a new update is comming this week and many people are specualting a lot of changes in combat (probably with the flame thrower teaser wich looks already a lot more usefull then it was).

so thumbs up for more choice in weapons at anytime of the game :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”