Accidentally Overwrote my Save

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Accidentally Overwrote my Save

Post by Mullematsch »

So I was playing in my modded Factorio world and accidentally saved that one to my vanilla world (close to 200h). I saw in a couple threads (for real no confirmation before you overwrite your safe :x :x :x ) to go to the save folder and try to restore a previous version. That does not work for me also all auto saves are from the modded world as well. Any way I could get my world back?
Join me in my Factorio Let´s Play: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mulematsch

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Accidentally Overwrote my Save

Post by Mullematsch »

Also my saves are not backed up to the steam cloud. Never connected my account to steam. :?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The only hope you'd have in such a situation is with autosaves.
If your save has been overwritten and your autosaves too, then your game is lost for Factorio.
However, if you have some kind of automatic archiving made by your OS, then you might want to use it. (Like "restore previous version", ...)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

Wow, that sucks. I guess now I have a reason to start over but this is really unfortunate. Slipped while saving since my good mouse broke that day, you double click accidentally on the wrong save and everything is gone. I cannot believe that Factorio just overwrites a safe (one 50h, one 200h - one modded, one vanilla) without asking for confirmation. :evil:

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

If your computer is creating system restore points then you have a ghost file of your save at each of those points. Depending on your OS you may be able to right click the parent folder or file and select restore previous version. You can also download a ghost file viewer which will allow you to browse all of your versions of a given file and do quite a bit more with it.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

Shokubai wrote:If your computer is creating system restore points then you have a ghost file of your save at each of those points. Depending on your OS you may be able to right click the parent folder or file and select restore previous version. You can also download a ghost file viewer which will allow you to browse all of your versions of a given file and do quite a bit more with it.
I checked that but there are no previous versions of my save folder sadly. I am currently trying to recover the file with a recovery program but not sure if it will work. Got a couple files back from a year ago (random stuff) so maybe I will be lucky. However the save game was overwritten and not deleted so I do not think it will work. I guess now I am just hoping that they release the update soon and then I will start a new world again. 200h gone like that... :mrgreen:

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Mullematsch wrote:
Shokubai wrote:If your computer is creating system restore points then you have a ghost file of your save at each of those points. Depending on your OS you may be able to right click the parent folder or file and select restore previous version. You can also download a ghost file viewer which will allow you to browse all of your versions of a given file and do quite a bit more with it.
I checked that but there are no previous versions of my save folder sadly. I am currently trying to recover the file with a recovery program but not sure if it will work. Got a couple files back from a year ago (random stuff) so maybe I will be lucky. However the save game was overwritten and not deleted so I do not think it will work. I guess now I am just hoping that they release the update soon and then I will start a new world again. 200h gone like that... :mrgreen:
That's a big ouch right there. Lets turn on versioning and not have this problem again! :)

p.s. Sure you thought of it but do you have it on an old thumb drive or anything where maybe you played it somewhere else?

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

Shokubai wrote:
Mullematsch wrote:
That's a big ouch right there. Lets turn on versioning and not have this problem again! :)

p.s. Sure you thought of it but do you have it on an old thumb drive or anything where maybe you played it somewhere else?
No, sadly I do not. I do have a backup from my world (lost like 50h) but I really do not feel like cleaning up all my solar panels + accumulators again and moving them. If I cannot recover the world file, I will just wait till the new update. It sucks but I guess the good part is that I will get to experience the research tree and all the new stuff they will add in a new game. I do think that double clicking should not save the game like that (without any warnings). It should check if it is at least the same game or ask for confirmation. Either way from now on I will double save my games and hook up my Factorio account to steam so it is on the cloud as well.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Work on a word document for 200 hours.
Don't make backups of it.
Overwrite it with a random doc you've just created (invitation for your kid's birthday party you want to send to your fellow parents).
Cry a lot.

This is not Factorio's fault. It's a typical PEBCAK :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

Koub wrote:Work on a word document for 200 hours.
Overwrite it with a random doc you've just created (invitation for your kid's birthday party you want to send to your fellow parents).
Cry a lot.

I am currently playing 5 games and they all except Factorio ask before overwriting a save. You cannot just double click and that overwrites it.
Either way it probably would not have happened if I was not using my crappy mouse since the good one broke that day.
Whatever, shit happens I guess.
Oh and in case of a word document you could get that one back. Been there, done that!
Last edited by Mullematsch on Thu May 26, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

It's actually a reasonable suggestion to check before overwriting. I'm not sure what would be simplest in Factorio's code, but it could give an 'are you sure?' dialog if the world seed is different. Would probably catch most cases. As always, it's up to the Dev's to decide if it's worth the trouble.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

starholme wrote:It's actually a reasonable suggestion to check before overwriting. I'm not sure what would be simplest in Factorio's code, but it could give an 'are you sure?' dialog if the world seed is different. Would probably catch most cases. As always, it's up to the Dev's to decide if it's worth the trouble.
or just check which save the world was loaded from.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

Koub wrote:Work on a word document for 200 hours.
Cry a lot.

Agreed, it's a hard lesson to learn. I usually have a rotation of a couple saves, switch to the next every few hours. That way it's unlikely to lose them all, and if something goes south to the extent that you want to back up an hour then it's there.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

starholme wrote:It's actually a reasonable suggestion to check before overwriting. I'm not sure what would be simplest in Factorio's code, but it could give an 'are you sure?' dialog if the world seed is different. Would probably catch most cases. As always, it's up to the Dev's to decide if it's worth the trouble.
Yeah, exactly. This would have saved my world.
Let my pain be a lesson to all of you - always backup your world! :lol: :x

Return to “General discussion”