binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.13] SpaceBook - a multiplayer / PvP / RP manager

Post by binbinhfr »

Infos
  • Type: Mod
  • Name: SpaceBook
  • Description: Forces & players management interface for multiplayer gaming and PvP.
  • Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.0
  • Locale: english, french
  • Multiplayer compatible: tested on a headless server...
  • Tags: Multiplayer, PvP, RP, Forces, GUI
  • License: You are free to use and distribute this mod and also to modify it for personal use, but not to release a modified version without permission (unless visibly not maintained anymore).
  • Portal download : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/SpaceBook
sb-screen1.jpg
sb-screen1.jpg (202.75 KiB) Viewed 26359 times
INTRODUCTION
OVERVIEW
FORCES
RIGHTS
PASSWORDS
INTERFACE
HOW TO CREATE A GAME
SAMPLE MAP
TIPS
CONCLUSION
KNOW ISSUES
TRANSLATIONS
TO DO

Download
For Factorio 0.13.X :
Please now use the portal for downloads (see link above or use ingame mod install/update), as I won't update both downloads links here anymore.
Last edited by binbinhfr on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 66 times in total.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] SpaceBook, a multiplayer/PvP/RP manager.

Post by binbinhfr »

reserved for future informations.

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Dude, this is serious awesome. I hope we can collect a list of servers using this here (I'll reserve this post for that purpose).

[Currently Active Servers using SpaceBook]
  • None registered :(

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Thanks for the idea of the server list. I hope this mod will find users.

For the moment, I'm in need of returns. This is a quite complex mod because dealing with concurrent interfaces, and it probably needs some tunings. So if you load it and test it, please give some feedback, even if everything works :-)

I think this mod can add fun to the gameplay, but I need some courageous volunteers to enter the mining field :D

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

I'd love to, but I'd need some folks to test it with, multiplayer.

Who's up for the takes of being a guinea pig for my evil and dastardly teleporting schemes as I test out my god-mode admin powers for this mod?

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Shrooblord wrote:I'd love to, but I'd need some folks to test it with, multiplayer.

Who's up for the takes of being a guinea pig for my evil and dastardly teleporting schemes as I test out my god-mode admin powers for this mod?
Yes, presented like this, I wonder if you'll have a lot of volunteers :D

Moreover, I wanted to point out that this mod IS NOT about cheating. It allows cheats to ease the preparation of a MP-multi-team map. Of course these cheats are fun to use (do you like the look of the admin's avatar ? ;) ) , BUT they could break the gameplay if overused... That's why I integrated a button to dismiss them once the gameset is ready.

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

Yes, yes of course. The benefits to what this mod adds to the game speak for themselves. The organisational powers of such a system where you can subdivide players into separate teams and you even have a "powers ranking system" with more or less rights and a 'safety class' for new players would do absolute wonders for large online multiplayer servers.

But I wonder if those exist for factorio (yet). Maybe your mod came a little too soon - in a time where multiplayer is largely focused on one-to-one direct connection encounters.

I bet if we had server lists and a public lobby where large-scale games were being hosted, this mod could become very popular. Its purpose and abilities suits that sort of situation very well.

I am reminded of large Minecraft servers with such amounts of people as in Mindcrack, Ultra Hardcore Tournaments etc. etc.
A mod like this would be fantastic for such an environment.

Now, back to the original question:
Who wants to set up/join in on a 4-or-more-PvP multiplayer game so we can properly test out this mod's functionality? You, binbinhfr?

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Alas my connection is quite bad to play efficiently, even if i'd like to visit a server using my mod ;-)

And for your questions about lobby & stuuf, it seems that you'll be satisfied in 13.0 :
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-139

Let's hope it will give a chance to this mod, because for the moment I see a few downloads but not many returns... :cry:

Vellith
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vellith »

Thanks for making this mod! This is exactly what I have been looking for!

An extra feature that I would love to see added to this mod would be the ability to craft biters and have them automatically attack enemy factions. I think it would be great to be able to fight a war of attrition against enemy factions, being forced to try to balance your resources between upgrading your defenses to avoid being over run by the biters your enemy's craft and building biters of your own to kill the enemy factions.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

That could be interesting. I already did a mod called Alien Eggs that creates biters, but they are not with you :-) . But it could be a funky way to attack your enemy. It could just return against you of you stay too close... :shock:
In non peaceful mode, biters will attack anything that is in a faction enemy to their own force, but I do not think there is a way to "program them" by LUA.
To craft biter, it seems necessary that Alien Artifact should be one of the ingredient.
But I find it strange to just pop them by putting them on the ground, without any egg or larva stage, no ?
I'll make some testings.

Despite this subject, did you test SpaceBook on a MP server ? Did it work ok ? I need some returns...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Natural evolution allows you to play with tamed biters. Can build worms, spawn biters and build spawners.
I'm not sure how if it was tested with multiple teams.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

In your mod you're overwitting debug in global space, which is a lua object.

Also I've tested a bit and I encountered these points :
1) I can't add Spacebook on games already started :

Code: Select all

Unknown key:"Error while running the on_init: __SpaceBook__/control.lua:1648: User isn't connected; can't read character"
2) Buttons like 'color' should be in player area
3) ARGB color should be authorised.
4) a "only script" version would be really interesting (so if this is put on a vanilla server, player don't need to install it)

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Thx for your return.

Here is v1.0.4 to correct the bug, it should work now, please confirm.

I changed the debug, even if it does not cause problem for me as I do not use the original lua debug.

The color button is in the personal player area, because it's a user choice, not something that admin should change, no ?
Maybe it's not clear that the upper player zone is for the current player eyes only.
The bottom/right player zone is the currently edited player, selected from the list and can be edited by officer or admin.

I will put the ARGB in the todo list.

Could you explain the "only script", because I'm not familiar with this (and maybe give me a link to an example).

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

binbinhfr wrote:I changed the debug, even if it does not cause problem for me as I do not use the original lua debug.
THanks for that, for clarification, if any mod modify debug, like any other native lua or factorio object, all other needing them would have the modified version and so not working, this is not the mod using them that is faulty but the one modifying them.
binbinhfr wrote:The color button is in the personal player area, because it's a user choice, not something that admin should change, no ?
Maybe it's not clear that the upper player zone is for the current player eyes only.
The bottom/right player zone is the currently edited player, selected from the list and can be edited by officer or admin.
For my case, I think this option should be needed for the admin too, and as every button is "duplicated", simple player would have access to this panel but no rights of modifying them for other players or no rights of selecting other players.
binbinhfr wrote:I will put the ARGB in the todo list.
The simpliest one would be 4 textarea.
binbinhfr wrote:Could you explain the "only script", because I'm not familiar with this (and maybe give me a link to an example).
On any game we can put control.lua at diferent places.
  • In scenario
  • In save
  • In mod
For your case, you put your control.lua in the mod, but as your mod aim is mainly about game administration, it could mostly be added in the scenario or save control.lua, the main problem is that it depends on resources that the game need to load via data.lua.

Some benefits about that are :
  • The players don't need to install the mod.
  • The players don't need to update the mod at each update.
  • The owner don't need to update their pack for the update.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

For the debug, it seems strange : I believed that mods (control.lua) were isolated and that they could just exchange by remote interfaces.

For the script, I do not see how to include my mod in anything because I do not propose a single scenario or a single map. Each admin should be able to integrate ir into his own server/map. So I do not see how to do it. Anyway, most of the servers I visited ask you to download a precise modpack before connecting. I will look further to see what I can do.

Bud1980
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] SpaceBook - a multiplayer/PvP/RP manager

Post by Bud1980 »

Need to make it so when switching a player to another group everything he has built changes to the group he goes in aswell and a way so that after 5 mins a player gets auto moved to a group if a admin or the owner is offline please this is a great mod for multiplayers just need alittle more stuff added to it.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Bud1980 wrote:Need to make it so when switching a player to another group everything he has built changes to the group he goes in aswell and a way so that after 5 mins a player gets auto moved to a group if a admin or the owner is offline please this is a great mod for multiplayers just need alittle more stuff added to it.
Hi. Thanks for the return. I was wondering if some people were using this mod, on which I put a lot of efforts ;)

For the moment in factorio, there is no way to know what the player has built (it will be changed in 0.13). Built objects are linked to a force/team/group.

But there is a way in Factorio API to merge 2 forces together (even if I noticed that there was some crash sometimes using this function of the API). But I will integrate it and you will try. So if you move the player from force1 to force2, if you want objets of force1 to belong to force2, then you will have to merge force1 into force2. Infact in the force edit window, I will add a button "Merge force into selected player force", it will be easier for me to implement.

For the automove from guest to a specified force, I will add a checkbox option in the force edit window, that you will be able to eventually put on one single force/group so that it works the way you want. I will put a configurable delay in config.lua. I won't integrate the checking of admin offline, which is too time consuming for the moment, but I'll do it in 0.13, where everything will be easier to manage for SpaceBook (there will be a big rewrite when 0.13 will be out, with the new API events player join/left game).

I'll try to do this today.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

So here is v1.0.6 for test.
Please tell me if it works in your server (both autojoin and merge force).
If it works, I will release it and update the doc.
Don't forget everything will work better in 0.13 for MP and SpaceBook.
Last edited by binbinhfr on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Ooops, I just read in your previous message that the autojoin delay should be 5 mins. I did put 5 seconds...
I corrected it to 120 seconds which is in between and not too long (but you can edit in config.lua)
I also added a message to the connected guest, telling him about this autojoin feature if he waits 120 seconds. So he will be patient and will not disconnect, disappointed...

I also corrected a problem that I just detected when deleting an offline player.

please test this :
SpaceBook_1.0.6.zip
(146.14 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.X] SpaceBook - a multiplayer/PvP/RP manager

Post by binbinhfr »

0.13 update

Return to “Mods”