Let's see your clever builds

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

cjmarsh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Let's see your clever builds

Post by cjmarsh »

I wanted to try out a build to make all four sciences in one layout with just the raw materials as inputs (except for petroleum gas) and this is what I came up with:
factorio_science.png
factorio_science.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 9690 times

Maja153
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maja153 »

When you gotta get something somewhere, you get it there.
When you gotta get something somewhere, you get it there.
20160514224226_1.jpg (22.28 KiB) Viewed 9659 times
I have a pretty complex design that i uploaded to a section i started as well

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Maja153 wrote:
20160514224226_1.jpg
I have a pretty complex design that i uploaded to a section i started as well
This is in too low a resolution to be useful. Can you try again with a larger image?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

alan2here
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by alan2here »

AutoMcD wrote:I usually just drop a pile of storage chests. Can you explain the advantage of this?
Do you mean a grid of yellow chests or a line of alternating red chests and inserters from one yellow chest?

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

alan2here wrote:
AutoMcD wrote:I usually just drop a pile of storage chests. Can you explain the advantage of this?
Do you mean a grid of yellow chests or a line of alternating red chests and inserters from one yellow chest?
Like 2 or 3 yellow chests near each roboport. Seems like plenty of storage.. There's requester chests for nearly all the ore feeds to get things where they need to be eventually. Also a boiler that ran out of coal, I have a requester chest to direct all the wood into it. Outside of that there's what, a few outdated peices of weapons and armor, the occasional random stuff from clearing out inventory or drones that had to turn back when you ran out of range. So yeah, just some yellow chests seems to cover it. I don't see the purpose in the massive storage array, and certainly in that configuration.

cjmarsh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cjmarsh »

AutoMcD wrote: Like 2 or 3 yellow chests near each roboport. Seems like plenty of storage.. There's requester chests for nearly all the ore feeds to get things where they need to be eventually. Also a boiler that ran out of coal, I have a requester chest to direct all the wood into it. Outside of that there's what, a few outdated peices of weapons and armor, the occasional random stuff from clearing out inventory or drones that had to turn back when you ran out of range. So yeah, just some yellow chests seems to cover it. I don't see the purpose in the massive storage array, and certainly in that configuration.
You can use a bunch of yellow chests as a central storage location for a mining or smelting operation that uses active provider chests. That way you can continue to mine or refine because the output chest never fills up, only the storage center.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I never used storage chests either except for some chests for 'accidental' storage, but now I built a fully bot-operated base and I'm having a blast with storage chests :)

Some numbers: I use 5k logistic bots to unload trains and bring around 10k ore per minute to my 135 smelters, so I use around 200 storage chests as buffer chests, containing at the moment ~150k ore, 50k plates (which are not in active provider chests, so they don't normally get stored there), 5k filled crude barrels, and 30k solid fuel. Screenshots: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25114

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

MadZuri wrote:
advancedcircuits
Why so many roboports? Is it just to get the extra charging stations?

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Yes, to provide enough charging, that is exactly why there are that many.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Couldn't you squeeze the setup one column by sharing the chests between plants?
red

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Not if he still wanted to use substations for power distro.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Why not? There's an empty column between the roboports...

(also, not sure what benefit substations provide here except aesthetics as there are a lot of empty spots to put small poles in...)

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

This is with Nucular Mod

Nuclear Fuel Assemblies are pretty expensive, if my calculations are correct each is equivalent to 1020MJ or 127 coal and the cost of creating them is significantly greater and they are particularly difficult to mass produce especially as mass production involves making fast breeder reactors which need fuel assemblies... They are also consumed very slowly, 1 every 400s in a fast breeder reactor. I wanted to use requester chests but I didn't want the bots taking 4 fuel assemblies for each requester chest - that's half an hour of fuel sitting idle per chest. This was my solution:

It works as follows:
  • A smart chest holds the fuel for each reactor, the smart inserter only inserts if there is 0 fuel in the chest, this guarantees each smart chest has at most 1 fuel.
  • The smart chest is linked to a decider combinator which sends a Red = 1 signal down the shared green wire if the smart chest has 0 fuel. Red means "I need fuel!"
  • The requester chest to the left is set to request 1 fuel assembly - bots will deliver up to 4, but that can't be helped.
  • The smart inserter at the requester chest is set to insert only when Red > 0, so if any of the smart chests run out it starts sending fuel assemblies down the belt. Any excess loop around and get put back in the requester chest.
Honestly, there are more practical and effective ways. Including using a belt with no smart chests at all, and using a rate-limited smart inserter feeding from the requester chest. But I love how the red signal says how many reactors need fuel and also the little light which turns on is a nifty feature. It's also basically my first pull-logistics setup.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Oh... well since posting all-in-one science is acceptable, here is my version! I never stopped tweaking it, so it's not 'complete', but it is all perfectly tuned for one set of packs every 2 seconds, and 30 second projects. (Everything - belts, inserters, assemblers/furnaces/plants, labs.) No inserter stack size bonus or electric energy distribution research needed, only logistics 1 (except for the obvious essential production buildings). (The blueprint strings and the structure counts are more up to date than the image.)

360 yellow belts, 109/48/17 yellow/red/blue inserters, 49 small poles, 14 underground belts, 2 splitters, 34/17/1 gray/blue/green assemblers, 15 labs, 5 chemical plants, 5 electric furnaces, 8 underground pipe, 16 pipe, 1 iron chest, 3x Productivity 1 module (optional).

Tried to use lowest tech inserters and assemblers wherever possible, and minimal power poles, to keep build and power costs down. In this design, space is lower priority than build/power/research costs, and beauty is even lower priority. (Except a few places use blue inserter instead of red, so it will fit.) I tried to keep the more expensive items on the shorter belts.

One fully saturated yellow iron belt is just barely insufficient (13.333 out of 13.75), so it has one to feed 1.5 iron/s, the other is 12.25. Total iron use is 13.75/s, copper is 9.5/s, coal 0.5/s, petroleum 1.5/s.

Blueprint string
This string is the expanded version, with a second purple pack assembler (for Power Armor 2), extra 15 labs (for 45s and 60s projects), and filter inserters (to prevent excessive steel production).
Projects which take more than 30s:
45s: Electric energy distribution 2, Military 4, Cluster grenade, Grenade damage 2+.
60s: Automation 3, Worker robot cargo size 2+, all module 3, Rocket silo, all speed & damage 3+ (all projectiles & robots, except grenades & flamethrower).
45s-80s: Flamethrower damage 1+.
Blueprint string, expanded version
Last edited by Aru on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 67 times in total.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

cjmarsh wrote:I wanted to try out a build to make all four sciences in one layout with just the raw materials as inputs (except for petroleum gas) and this is what I came up with:

I'm using this one (quite old) build from this forum:

It's very compact, totally balanced and simply nice enough to be loved :)
(it's more productive of course)

You may adapt it to your goals.

Update:
It was from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... k_compact/
There is very nice and interesting description there.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Aru wrote:
Thank you for the Blueprint - excellent - one can learn a lot

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

No problem, and thank you, I thought maybe no one would find use for it because it's ugly and big, hah. It could be smaller if I used more blue assemblers, but it would cost a little more / use a little more power. (I updated it with some minor inserter downgrades on the right side, and fixed some missing pipes at the top.)

And then I updated it again, split it into two parts and reflected both, moved belts around, it's a little better.
Last edited by Aru on Mon May 30, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinuzz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by martinuzz »

Thought it a good time to dive back into this game, get some rust polished before the .13 version.

I am quite please with my current setup for the humble start of my bus. Red and greens are built off-screen to the north.
Green electronics fit nicely in the 5 wide spacing I have between my bus lanes, as does the inserter chain.

JakenVeina
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JakenVeina »

I think this is the one I'm most proud of, so far.

Keeps all 7 of the Processing Unit Assemblers running, non-stop. Eats copper like crazy, though.

Cleverpanda
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cleverpanda »

@DerivePi, what program are you using to make those schematics?

Return to “Show your Creations”