Rusty's Transportation mod 0.0.8 [0.11.22]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Rusty's Transportation mod 0.0.8 [0.11.22]

Post by theRustyKnife »

Hey everybody,

Have you ever found yourself in factorio just fooling around with trains instead of playing the game? Me too.
That's why I came up with an idea for a mod that would make the train stuff a lot more interesting (+make diesel locomotives run on diesel instead of coal...) and maybe add some other stuff as well in the future.

Note that the mod is still under development and heavily unfinished so there are most likely things that don't work as they should.
Currently working features
Future plans
Changelog
known issues
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
rustyTransport_0.0.8.zip
(15.84 MiB) Downloaded 395 times
Last edited by theRustyKnife on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 25 times in total.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rusty's Transportation mod 0.0.5 [0.11.21]

Post by bigyihsuan »

After a quick look at the ever-helpful-yet-slightly-unreliable source of Wikipedia, diesel fuel comes from petroleum.

So I guess you could have a chemical plant recipe to convert petroleum to diesel fuel.

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

well, as diesel can also be used as lubricant, convert heavy oil into diesel :mrgreen: .. my opinion

i read that on wiki about diesel...

--- Fuel oil is a fraction obtained from petroleum distillation, either as a distillate or a residue. Broadly speaking fuel oil is any liquid petroleum product that is burned in a furnace or boiler for the generation of heat or used in an engine for the generation of power, except oils having a flash point of approximately 40 °C (104 °F) and oils burned in cotton or wool-wick burners. In this sense, diesel is a type of fuel oil. Fuel oil is made of long hydrocarbon chains, particularly alkanes, cycloalkanes and aromatics. The term fuel oil is also used in a stricter sense to refer only to the heaviest commercial fuel that can be obtained from crude oil, i.e., heavier than gasoline and naphtha
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll probably go with making it from petroleum. It just makes more sense to me for some reason ;)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I think it would make a fair bit more sense if you made it from either light oil (which has no 'real' product) or from a combination of petrol and light oil, since diesel is a heavier oil than petroleum.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rusty's Transportation mod 0.0.7 [0.11.22]

Post by theRustyKnife »

Hi again,
after a while I found some time to do more modding. I updated the mod and added some new stuff. After getting a little confused :? from everyone suggesting a different way of producing the diesel fuel I decided to do it the best way for gameplay (well... for me at least). Hope you find the new stuff as cool as I do. Have a great day :D

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Oops, I just noticed a bug :oops: that was causing crash when loading a game without the mod previously installed... I uploaded a fix for that

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well i wanted to give your Mod a trie, mostly for the Steamlokomotive that I miss in my train depot.
Sadly, Factorio 0.11.22 crash's on startup, saying it's unable to open your info.json --error code 103--.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Takezu wrote:Well i wanted to give your Mod a trie, mostly for the Steamlokomotive that I miss in my train depot.
Sadly, Factorio 0.11.22 crash's on startup, saying it's unable to open your info.json --error code 103--.
Well that's weird... Didn't happen to me. But I'll try my best to fix that issue. Did you try unzipping the mod maybe? Thanks for trying it out though. :)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Turns out that the problem was with the compression being too high... I just had the settings wrong. :( Anyway I rezipped it and reuploaded a version that should work. Have fun! :)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

So i Fiddelt a bit around with your Steamtrains.
there looking really nice.
But there are somethings thats bugging me.
It's hard to tell if the Lokomotiv got Water in it, and impossible to tell how much Water it has left.
Without a compare run to a Lokomotiv if run knowingly dry, i coulden't tell.

Another thing is the speed loss per Cargo. Without any Cargowaggon, the BR makes 170 Km/h.
Adding one Waggon brings it down to 100. Adding three let's it Crawl at 50.
Bit high Speed loss in my opinion.

Thirdly, Somthing semms odd with the Rocket Tender loading. Hard to eplain but i build a Rockte with tender
and dorve it to the Station, the inserter there was on the same height as the tender but refused to laod it.
I addet a Waggon behind the Tender that was visibly out of reach but the insertet startet to load coal into it.
The insertet was relativly at the end of the tender, only setting it to the middle of the tender resultet in loading the Tender instead of the Waggon.

Well i haven't tested much more yet, but i plan to.
So expect to hear a bit more in the future.

Edit: Oh derp, I totally forgot about that was at first sprung to my eye. All your Diesel Stuff, also The Fuel, Lokomotiv and Carname come up as "Unknown Key: (Object name in qustion here).

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Thanks for the feedback Takezu, I really appreciate it.
You are absolutely right about the speed loss. I'll have a look at it for the next version.

For the amount of fluid in any locomotive you can use F5 for now. Though for the future I was thinking about a small GUI just showing the amount of fluid in a locomotive you are driving. I haven't done any GUI yet though, so I have to figure it out first (it'll be a useful skill I believe).

Sadly I don't think I can do much about the loading of the rocket tender as I'm pretty sure that's just the way factorio handles small carriages like that. The only thing I can tell you is to try putting the inserter on the joint instead of the carriage itself. That seemed to work for me...

And the last thing is actually my derp. :? I was just considering those unnamed things as temporary and forgot they'll be in the release. I'll try to fix that asap but I have some RL stuff to deal with so I might not have much time for modding in the next couple days. :( Modular wagons are almost done though so they'll be in the next release for sure. ;)

I'm really enjoying this a lot and have quite a few ideas of what to add so there is definitely more to come in the future. :) Stay tuned ;)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rusty's Transportation mod 0.0.8 [0.11.22]

Post by theRustyKnife »

Hey, it's me again
New version of the mod is uploaded. The main point in this update are modular wagons which I personally find really cool. You can now have a train carrying a roboport or a radar (yes that means you don't have to keep all your tracks in range of radars just to be able to see trains on the map) and many other things. I also fixed some bugs but there are still some things I need to take a look at.
I'm open to any suggestions on what modules to add in the future. A furnace maybe :?:? Let me know ;)
Last edited by theRustyKnife on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

I just uploaded a quick fix for a bug caused when destroying wagon modules. Just that ;)

lolman360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lolman360 »

Can you please add a version 0.11.3 compatibility? I am running 0.11.3 with my 20-ish custom mods that i do not want to lose.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Hi lolman360,
Sorry for the long time it took me to answer your question, I didn't have a very good internet access on the summer holiday... :x But actually since for 0.12 I deccided to completely rewrite my mod which is going to take me a good while I'm not sure if I'll manage to do that :(. Of course I'm happy that you're interested in my mod and if I ever get around to doing 0.11.3 support I'll let you know.

epiccraft_tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by epiccraft_tv »

Hey! I was wondering if you've updated the mod to 0.12.x but just posted it on another forum post. I want to use the mod but since it still looks like its on 0.11.x, I can't because all the other mods I'm using are on 0.12. :/

-Thanks
Epic

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

epiccraft_tv wrote:Hey! I was wondering if you've updated the mod to 0.12.x but just posted it on another forum post. I want to use the mod but since it still looks like its on 0.11.x, I can't because all the other mods I'm using are on 0.12. :/
The mod is indeed working only with .11 currently and no I haven't posted a newer version anywhere yet because I haven't had much time for modding lately (real life sucks :(). At this point I think I'll just wait for .13 to update the mod.
Your interest just gave me some motivation though. It's nice to see that people actually like what you do even when you abandon it for a while so thanks for that :D
I'll post any news regarding this mod here though I'll probably make a new thread once the new version is ready

Cheers TRK

epiccraft_tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by epiccraft_tv »

theRustyKnife wrote:
epiccraft_tv wrote:Hey! I was wondering if you've updated the mod to 0.12.x but just posted it on another forum post. I want to use the mod but since it still looks like its on 0.11.x, I can't because all the other mods I'm using are on 0.12. :/
The mod is indeed working only with .11 currently and no I haven't posted a newer version anywhere yet because I haven't had much time for modding lately (real life sucks :(). At this point I think I'll just wait for .13 to update the mod.
Your interest just gave me some motivation though. It's nice to see that people actually like what you do even when you abandon it for a while so thanks for that :D
I'll post any news regarding this mod here though I'll probably make a new thread once the new version is ready

Cheers TRK
Ah ok. Thanks!

-Epic

Return to “Mods”