Friday Facts #138 - Better Circuit Network III

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #138 - Better Circuit Network III

Post by Zeblote »

Satis wrote:
Zeblote wrote:So the smart inserter doesn't get removed?
I believe that the old green smart inserter will be replaced with the new purple one.
Hopefully it won't be purple anymore by then. I didn't even realize they weren't the same color as normal fast inserters, they're too similar.

Pavgran
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pavgran »

If the splitters wouldn't leave items on non-used side, then it would be possible to make cool train station sorter - connect belt from station to the splitter, then two belts from the splitter to different parts of the storage area. Then just disable one of the belts connected to the splitter so that all the items go where you want them to.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Can you add a way for Roboports to provide the # of logistic and construction robots in the network, to the circuit network? I don't mean those in the logistics network (like in passive providers), but the # in use (docked or flying around).

The idea being you can do stuff like set your robot production to stop once X number are active, or use a combinator and do something like only make construction bots equal to 1/10 the number of logisitcs robots, etc.

Edit: Also being able to know the # free vs just the total # would be nice. Could do something like "make more logistics robots if the # free is under X". So it'll just organically make more as your base expands.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

roy7 wrote:Can you add a way for Roboports to provide the # of logistic and construction robots in the network, to the circuit network?
Yeah, it's something in my long list of TODO's, sending available/total logisitc/construction bots. I'll try to make it happen soon :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Gratz on those awards, and It's good to hear about all that progress.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Congratulation for those awards.

Can't wait for the next version. SO many possibilities with all circuit network improvements !
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Solyx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Solyx »

So... when are you guys going to make programmable blueprint placers for roboports?

Finalize that one capability, and people could make bases approaching Von Newman machines - fully automated bases that will detect running low on resources, scout out expansions to new resources on their own, and otherwise grow and expand.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Congrats on your awards! They are well deserved.

ShredGuy99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShredGuy99 »

Being able to turn belts on and off will be fantastic... Basically able to control and redirect resources to different parts of your factory when combined with splitters. This will save a ton of space as compared to using smart inserters.

Highlighted red & green wires will be a huge "Quality of Life" improvement.

Really looking forward to 0.13.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

I just love how you guys win two awards at a game of the year awards ceremony and it's only mentioned briefly, like "and we're gonna make this, and that was done, and stuff was implemented, oh and we won some rewards but that's not important, here's the link to the forums to tell us about what you think of the new features"

It's not even the first time, last week it was also just three sentences, "oh and I have to finish this FFF quickly because we have to go to an award ceremony, so here we go: we implemented the heavy inserter, ..."

Congrats on the awards, now if I could just get my time machine to work I won't have to week two whole weeks before I get to play Factorio 0.13.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I've died and went to heaven. 8-)
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

cant wait for june :P ...

2 awards :o ..and the game is not finished :lol: .. yikes!!!! CONGRATS :mrgreen:

it also mean you do things right, stay on this line.

(unlike some other big name which i simply ban their name from my vocabulary :mrgreen: )
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Here's how I'd like to sum up FFF #138:

HALLELUJAH

First of all, congratulations on the awards. Well deserved indeed.

Then, I can't even express how psyched I am about the various improvements to the circuit network. Highlight wires! Space between combinators! All the new connections possible!

OMG it's so amazing. Please release now kkthx.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

R3vo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by R3vo »

The upcoming update looks splendid! Can't wait to test all the new stuff.

Any chance for a new GUI which allows us to see all items in a logistic network? Right now one has to hover over a chest to see the contents but that's quite unhandy.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

R3vo wrote:The upcoming update looks splendid! Can't wait to test all the new stuff.

Any chance for a new GUI which allows us to see all items in a logistic network? Right now one has to hover over a chest to see the contents but that's quite unhandy.
I sign that!

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

Pavgran wrote:If the splitters wouldn't leave items on non-used side, then it would be possible to make cool train station sorter - connect belt from station to the splitter, then two belts from the splitter to different parts of the storage area. Then just disable one of the belts connected to the splitter so that all the items go where you want them to.
I was thinking about that too, but I think it will work! Or I will make it work!

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

This all looks very awesome. Replacing the circuit network controller with new interface buttons is great.

Thought about single product train stations. If the smart inserter is the only one with filtering capacity, and the rapid inserter is the only one with stack bonus, you could do something clever with this new circuit network. You have one filtered smart inserter, and whenever it picks up for example iron ore, all the rapid inserters gets activated for a few seconds.

This will work nicely when a single-product train goes to the wrong station. Would unload the wrong things from accidently-parked mixed trains though. So it'd be very nice if rapid inserters could be filtered. Or, if/when the train station can be connected to the circuit network, this would allow for neat solutions where you only activate inserters if the train is single-product.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Also a nice to have output for roboports: items missing for construction. Or simply objects needed for construction.

Blurb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blurb »

Will Assemblers also get a circuit network upgrade, letting us select an item to produce based on signals?
Imagine being able to set assemblers to produce X whenever the logistics system is low on X.
Combine this with the requester chest upgrade, and a cleverly designed factory will be able to vastly reduce assembler idle time.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

First of all, congratulations for acquiring those awards. But making reference to "Major Payne", you haven't won it. You deserved it.
Combinators show some information in alt mode, including input and output arrows.
The only thing I want to add: this info should be turnable on/off in settings like arrows for miner drills. Many players play all the time in alt mode, and it will probably be too crumped to see al those arrows if player uses many combinators.
Twinsen wrote:
roy7 wrote:Can you add a way for Roboports to provide the # of logistic and construction robots in the network, to the circuit network?
Yeah, it's something in my long list of TODO's, sending available/total logisitc/construction bots. I'll try to make it happen soon :)
It's probably should be new 2 signals, different from L and C bots in storages.
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

Return to โ€œNewsโ€