Rail signals

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Rail signals

Post by quadrapod »

EDIT: Nevermind, thank you everyone who replied for setting me straight on how railsignals operate.
Last edited by quadrapod on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rail signals

Post by Gammro »

I think the main problem is your signalling. The block signals work so that only one train can be in a "block" between signals at the same time. By making adding blocks to the network, more trains can be moving on it at the same time.
The easiest thing you can do is place another signal behind the waiting train. This way, a new block is created, and the train stopped the station can leave as soon as the other train on the track is waiting in front of the station.

I can recommend this: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... k#Advanced
and this: http://wiki.openttd.org/Block_signals#Block_signals
The concepts are the same for both games for basic block signals.

And it really pays off to have a double rail system, with each rail having traffic going in another direction. It will enlarge the rail capacity. With a single rail for both directions, only one train can enter at the same time. With a double rail system, you are theoretically only limited by the space a train occupies(but for this, you'd need signals on every piece of rail)

And what I think what you're suggesting is path signals. Yes, I think it would be great if these were in the game, and that would maybe get your current network to function.
Ignore this

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Where's the Tarth Strudel? :ugeek:

Also, F4 (or is it F7?) is great for figuring out your rail signalling problems.

Edit for posterity: OP had posted a spoiler with caption Deadlock.
Last edited by n9103 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

Okay the rail system works very differently from how I thought, thank you for setting me straight. Just playing with it a bit now I can get it to do just about anything. Ignore my comments this is perfect as is.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

Please do not edit out your questions. Answers are great but they are sometimes useless without questions and others could learn from the question and how it is being answered. Rather put [Solved] in the subject.

quadrapod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quadrapod »

JackGruff wrote:Please do not edit out your questions. Answers are great but they are sometimes useless without questions and others could learn from the question and how it is being answered. Rather put [Solved] in the subject.
I agree with you, but this is a suggestions sub-forum, not a questions sub-forum. My suggestion was invalid so it didn't belong in the suggestions forum.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”