Will this game run without "dedicated" video memory?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
EyeUrn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Will this game run without "dedicated" video memory?

Post by EyeUrn »

Specifically, I have an Intel HD 4600 on-board graphics processor and 4 GB of system RAM. My understanding is that this graphics processor uses system memory and does not have dedicated memory. The system requirements for this game say that 1 GB of system RAM and 512 MB of dedicated video memory is required, which is less than my total available memory so there shouldn't be any problems unless the game wants the video memory to be absolutely dedicated to video processing. I was able to run the demo perfectly fine, but I'm not sure if the full version of the game will be more taxing on my system, or more strict about the dedicated status of my video memory. My previous purchases of games on this computer were through GOG, which has a money-back guarantee if you cannot get something to run on your system, but I do not see such a guarantee offered by these developers and do not want to pay for a game that won't actually run on my machine. I've read something somewhere about using the BIOS to explicitly dedicate some system memory to video processing, but I'm not familiar with doing that sort of thing in the BIOS. I've played around with the BIOS before on other computers to switch between boot devices, but have no idea what the BIOS is like on this machine and don't want to accidentally do something Very Bad.

Any help as to what I would need to do, if anything beyond installing it, etc., to run this game on my system would be appreciated. If it matters, I have Windows 7 (with service pack 1) and my CPU is a Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Will this game run without "dedicated" video memory?

Post by daniel34 »

Yes.

The full version of the game does use more graphics memory than the demo, but it doesn't differentiate between shared and dedicated memory.

The Intel HD 4600 is fairly recent for Factorio standards (~3 years) and has a max. shared memory size of about 1-2GB, so I don't see any problem playing Factorio on it.

You can also change the "dedicated" memory size in the BIOS to 512MB or 1024MB (on most platforms), but if the demo ran fine on it there should be no reason to do so. (It would also take away system memory which could lower the performance in general.)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

EyeUrn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EyeUrn »

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

I was able to get the base game (very few mods, no big ones) running on an acer aspire netbook with 2gb ram and no vram at all. Smaller maps ran well. Larger ones had fps issues and program bootup was slow no matter what.

The game is amazingly optimized to be able to run on that. Any real computer can handle it i would assume

Return to “Technical Help”