Topics and discussion about specific mods
safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.12.11] SRS, an end game challenge

Post by safan »

SRS or Shameless Resource Sink

Description:

Bored of launching rockets? Well this is gonna give you a challenge!
LONG DESCRIPTION

Details:

Name: SRS
Category: Item
MOD Version: 0.0.1
Factorio Version: 0.12.11+
Ltest Released: 20 Mar 2016
Dependencies: None
Author: safan
Tags: end-game
License: gnu

Pictures
Questions
Change Log
Version-0.0.2: fixed some files that should be empty
Attachments
SRS_0.0.2.zip
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by safan on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11] SRS, an end game challenge

Post by Vin »

I like the idea of a different endgame mod, even if it winds up being very similar to vanilla. Blood coins sound like an alternate to the score counter of launching rockets, unless there's some use for them that I missed.

Have you thought about posting the true base material balance of your blood coins? The screenshot shows a general idea, but I would like to see the exact requirements in terms of Iron Ore, Copper Ore, Coal, and Oil for easy comparison to what a vanilla rocket takes to launch. Obviously I could (and probably will) compute it myself, but it would be nice to have in the original post.

If you want to take it further, you could even have different endgame coins (selling to different factions, perhaps) that have the same processes in different numbers, changing the balance of the material sinks which would make it functionally superior to vanilla.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Sounds pretty interesting! Would be cool to know actual cost of the blood coin altogether.
Now I know you said you aren't great at coding, but I do have a suggestion that could perhaps add a lot to the game with this mod.
Maybe instead of the coin just being a counter, it could actually be used for something like high level techs, or better equipment etc. Just an idea, but I think making them actually do something would add a ton of value for sure! Still great idea and good alternative to just launching rocket. :)
Image Image Image

Griggle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Griggle »

Hello,

Love the premise of the mod, definitely nice to have bigger goals to aim for, however I'm getting the following error:

Code: Select all

__SRS__/control.lua:3: module prototypes.basic-lua-extensions not found;  no such file 
__SRS__/prototypes/basic-lua-extensions.lua no such file __SRS__/prototypes/basic-lua-extensions.lua no such file 
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data/core/lualib/prototypes/basic-lua-extensions.lua
Using Factorio 0.12.26.

Edit: I should also mention that this error occurs when hitting the 'Generate' button on the map configuration screen.

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

wierd, control.lua should be empty ...

Lurkily
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lurkily »

I would actually prefer something more unpredictable. For instance, pretend there is a war going on somewhere that needs these resources, and demands certain things from you. This war is never won nor lost, but your allies' effectiveness can be represented as a percentage that you have to maintain by feeding their demands for material within a certain time frame. You can use rocket launches, perhaps, as a way to supplement more limited delivery systems.

I'm not actually begging for you to make my game, and I'm sorry if it looks that way. I just mean this as an example. If you want to change the endgame of sandbox, it' going to need to be more organic, and have the player acting more responsively to circumstances than a "Make x of y" scenario, or "See how many X you can make."

dnatabar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dnatabar »

Lurkily wrote:I would actually prefer something more unpredictable. For instance, pretend there is a war going on somewhere that needs these resources, and demands certain things from you. This war is never won nor lost, but your allies' effectiveness can be represented as a percentage that you have to maintain by feeding their demands for material within a certain time frame. You can use rocket launches, perhaps, as a way to supplement more limited delivery systems.

I'm not actually begging for you to make my game, and I'm sorry if it looks that way. I just mean this as an example. If you want to change the endgame of sandbox, it' going to need to be more organic, and have the player acting more responsively to circumstances than a "Make x of y" scenario, or "See how many X you can make."

That is an excellent idea!
Personally i have only ever launched 1 rocket in my 220+ hours of Factorio, because it honestly feels pointless.
But a more Dynamic endgame, that would be something to behold.

I will look into making something in that style, just need to get used to LUA ( never used LUA, but i do use other languages, so how hard can it be ).
So Thanks for the idea!

I'l look into LUA and Factorio Modding right away =)

Lurkily
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lurkily »

If you're interested, that's based on an old tech document that I typed up a few weeks ago. I get game design ideas, and scribble them down - this one was an idea regarding a time-management game, but SRS reminded me of it, and it would suit factorio well. The google doc is here. It may help you if you intend to codify the concept, as I talk about the logical processes of how to determine and record how advanced requirements for the player should be, or even when they should get easier, and how to determine whether to ask an early-game player (or a very weak player) for ten iron plates, or to ask a strong or late-game player for a thousand.

If everything doesn't make sense, look to the end of the document. I just added a glossary to define some of the words I repeatedly use with a certain idea in mind. It should make more sense to someone reading it for the first time now.

Commenting is enabled, so feel free to leave notes. Point out what you like, don't like, what you think can be improved.

P.S.: The tasks listed in the document are random and only used as an example of how skilled or complex a task might be at that level of requirement. The fact that it mentions burger-flipping or shovelling manure shouldn't indicate that I want to make factorio a farming game or a burger-making game. Just because, you know, not everybody gets examples as being only examples.

dnatabar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dnatabar »

Thanks, i've read the document, and it seems very viable =)

I've been looking into LUA a bit and Factorio modding, and if i can keep focus, i believe i can at least get a prototype going.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, i can't send PM's so i had no other way of replying to Lurkily easily )

Return to “Mods”