[MOD 0.15] Satellite Uplink Station 1.1.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.23] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.0

Post by Supercheese »

StanFear wrote:
Supercheese wrote:place your blueprints back into the chest or else they'll be destroyed when you terminate the uplink!
couldn't you move the blueprints to the uplink inventory (if it doesn't have one (I havn't been able to try it out yet), just add it, since the uplink is based on the car type !
I'd originally intended to copy all the player's blueprints and give them to the uplink automatically, but I couldn't get the code for this to work. Perhaps I'll give it another try.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.24] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.2

Post by Supercheese »

Version 0.1.2 posted, with the Russian translation added and a small bugfix.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Thank you for update!
How can I add an aim in the center of the screen while being uplinked? Tried to edit null.png and to change entity.lua a bit, but the game wants an image bigger than 32x32.

EDIT#1: I've done it)))) Image null.png 2034^2 with "tiles" 113x113 (18x18 "tiles" total) and changes in entities.lua to

Code: Select all

local empty_animation = {
    filename = "__Uplink Station__/graphics/null.png",
    width = 113,
    height = 113,
result
Useful for

enableFullControlWhileUplinked = true
EDIT#2: Humm, why button caption isn't localized? (you can see it on screenshot)

EDIT#3: Found an issue. You should change codepage of ru-locale to "UTF-8 w/o BOM". Now it's with. I've changed it, and now have no troubles with localization.

EDIT#4: Is it possible for you to copy all blueprints from real-player tool belt to uplinked-player one? Either they're configured or empty. But it can cause dupe... So, not copy but move there and vice versa. =)
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

apriori wrote:EDIT#3: Found an issue. You should change codepage of ru-locale to "UTF-8 w/o BOM". Now it's with. I've changed it, and now have no troubles with localization.

EDIT#4: Is it possible for you to copy all blueprints from real-player tool belt to uplinked-player one? Either they're configured or empty. But it can cause dupe... So, not copy but move there and vice versa. =)
I've changed the encoding for the next update, thanks for the heads-up. I'll also take another look at copying blueprints, but it's quite non-trivial, sadly.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

Yeah. And sadly we can't run the game in debug mode with breakpoints like in visual studio. It could be a great opportunity to look at lua tables structure to find out how to operate in code with those blueprints. I'll try to make some functions for copying them too. After night.

Is it correct to say that my new null.png (that contains aim as on screenshot) is being "read" by the game in following order:
• from the left to the right - for frames (animation)
• from the top to the bottom - for different movement directions
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

ThePheenixKing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThePheenixKing »

Game-Version: 0.12.29
Technology DOES NOT show in the tech-tree. Uplinkstation DOES show in the logistics-slots, so mod is succesfully installed. Please help.

Best regards
ThePheenixKing

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

ThePheenixKing wrote:Game-Version: 0.12.29
Technology DOES NOT show in the tech-tree. Uplinkstation DOES show in the logistics-slots, so mod is succesfully installed. Please help.

Best regards
ThePheenixKing
The technology will not appear unless you have at least one satellite in orbit.
Supercheese wrote:In order to unlock the Satellite Uplinking research, you must have at least one satellite (vanilla satellite, not ion cannon) in orbit

kalzekdor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.29] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.2

Post by kalzekdor »

Neat mod, along with the Orbital Cannon. My friend and I were discussing Factorio endgame, and one of the things we thought about was some powerful end-game uses for various satellites. Recon satellites was an obvious one, as well as orbital weaponry that could be used to remotely target an area (but might take a while to recharge between shots). Another thought was a Construction Satellite. If you've ever played Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, you'll be familiar with the nanolathe particle stream tech used by the various construction bots in those games, they fire a stream of particles at a location, slowly building up the object like a 3D printer. Now imagine that tech housed in an orbital satellite. :mrgreen:

It could work like the regular construction bots, in that it automatically builds out blueprints (which could be placed via the satellite uplink terminal), but it could build anywhere in explored territory, and wouldn't require any resources. The trade-off would be that it builds extremely slowly, probably based off of raw resource costs (maybe based off of raw mining time), crafting time, multiplied by a large factor (e.g., 2.5). So for example, a single Inserter could take (5.5 Raw Resources * ( 2s Mining Time + 3.5s Smelting Time) + 2.3s Crafting Time) * 2.5 = 81.375 seconds to build from scratch. Of course, build time could be reduced by launching multiple construction satellites into orbit. They might also be further balanced by an internal capacitor, such that they can only operate for, say, 5 minutes continuously from a full charge, and then take 15 minutes to replenish the reserves. The long construction times should be sufficient balance, though, we are talking about an end-game tech after all. Enormous resources would need to be spent just to research, build, and launch one of these things.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

kalzekdor wrote:Neat mod, along with the Orbital Cannon. My friend and I were discussing Factorio endgame, and one of the things we thought about was some powerful end-game uses for various satellites. Recon satellites was an obvious one, as well as orbital weaponry that could be used to remotely target an area (but might take a while to recharge between shots). Another thought was a Construction Satellite. If you've ever played Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, you'll be familiar with the nanolathe particle stream tech used by the various construction bots in those games, they fire a stream of particles at a location, slowly building up the object like a 3D printer. Now imagine that tech housed in an orbital satellite. :mrgreen:

It could work like the regular construction bots, in that it automatically builds out blueprints (which could be placed via the satellite uplink terminal), but it could build anywhere in explored territory, and wouldn't require any resources. The trade-off would be that it builds extremely slowly, probably based off of raw resource costs (maybe based off of raw mining time), crafting time, multiplied by a large factor (e.g., 2.5). So for example, a single Inserter could take (5.5 Raw Resources * ( 2s Mining Time + 3.5s Smelting Time) + 2.3s Crafting Time) * 2.5 = 81.375 seconds to build from scratch. Of course, build time could be reduced by launching multiple construction satellites into orbit. They might also be further balanced by an internal capacitor, such that they can only operate for, say, 5 minutes continuously from a full charge, and then take 15 minutes to replenish the reserves. The long construction times should be sufficient balance, though, we are talking about an end-game tech after all. Enormous resources would need to be spent just to research, build, and launch one of these things.

this is a quite interesting idea, I don't think it should be part of this mod, more like a mod on its own
but ... how do you intend to make the construction time pass ? in Factorio, there is no building stage, only the not there, there or constuction planned stages (which couldn't be used properly for that purpose I think ...)
so... unless you'd make a dummy building that just acts as a placeholder during the construction time, it wouldn't be possible !

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.30] Satellite Uplink Station 0.1.3

Post by Supercheese »

Version 0.1.3 released.

Changes:
  • You now receive ten empty blueprints when uplinked, so you can remotely direct your construction robots.
    • The Blueprint String mod will let you import your blueprints into these empty ones, and save them if you make new blueprints; remember that blueprints you make while uplinked will be destroyed when you terminate the uplink.
  • Fixed Russian translation encoding issue.
  • Officially changed to the MIT License.
  • Officially changed the mod-folder name to "Satellite Uplink Sation" as opposed to just "Uplink Station".
  • The mod is now using the Factorio Standard Library.
  • Fixed a rare crash when the uplink station was destroyed and the player's character killed while they were uplinked.
Shoutouts to the various folks I've seen using this mod on Twitch and elsewhere; seeing & chatting with others who use and enjoy the mods I write is strong motivating to keep developing. :)

kalzekdor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kalzekdor »

StanFear wrote:
kalzekdor wrote:Neat mod, along with the Orbital Cannon. My friend and I were discussing Factorio endgame, and one of the things we thought about was some powerful end-game uses for various satellites. Recon satellites was an obvious one, as well as orbital weaponry that could be used to remotely target an area (but might take a while to recharge between shots). Another thought was a Construction Satellite. If you've ever played Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, you'll be familiar with the nanolathe particle stream tech used by the various construction bots in those games, they fire a stream of particles at a location, slowly building up the object like a 3D printer. Now imagine that tech housed in an orbital satellite. :mrgreen:

this is a quite interesting idea, I don't think it should be part of this mod, more like a mod on its own
but ... how do you intend to make the construction time pass ? in Factorio, there is no building stage, only the not there, there or constuction planned stages (which couldn't be used properly for that purpose I think ...)
so... unless you'd make a dummy building that just acts as a placeholder during the construction time, it wouldn't be possible !
Yeah, this would definitely be a mod unto itself, like the Orbital Ion Cannon is a mod by itself, but still ties into this satellite controller.

As for construction... you could cheat a bit, and place the building at the start of "construction", but with 1 hp. Then the construction time would be the time it takes to repair the building to full health. The main concerns would be the ability to drop fully built turret emplacements next to an enemy base, so having the buildings start with 1 hp would help prevent that. Then just add a cooldown between placing buildings equal to the "construction time", so that even if somebody goes up with a repair pack to accelerate the process, it only helps a little.

You could also inverse the process, and leave the blueprint placement of the building there during a "charging" period, after which the building appears fully constructed. A generic placeholder building could be placed in the meantime, with some small amount of health, so that aliens can attack it and disrupt the build process. (I.e., if the placeholder gets destroyed, cancel placing that building.)

I might try to build this myself, but I don't really have much time to devote to a side-project, so if Supercheese wants to run with the idea, that's fine by me.

apcnc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by apcnc »

german locale

terminate-uplink = Verbindung beenden
initiating-uplink = Beginne Satellitenverbindung
uplink-terminated = Satellitenverbindung beendet
first-satellite-sent = Nun da du einen Satelliten um Orbit hast, kannst du eine Satellitenverbindungsstation bauen und erforschen!
critical-character-error = Kritischer Fehler: Zum Spieler zurückkehren nicht möglich. Dein Charakter ist vielleicht gestorben oder die Daten wurden verloren. Du kannst einen Spielstand neu laden oder wenn du deinen Charakter auf dem Bildschirm findest deinen Mauszeiger über ihn bewegen und in der Konsole den folgenden Befehl eingeben: /c game.local_player.character = game.local_player.selected
[item-name]
uplink-station = Verbindungsstation
dummy-axe = Verbunden
dummy-gun = Verbunden
dummy-gun-2 = Verbunden
dummy-gun-3 = Verbunden

[entity-name]
uplink-station = Verbindungsstation

[technology-name]
uplink-station = Satellitenverbindung

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

apcnc wrote:german locale
Thanks, it will be added to the next version. :)

triggerman602
Inserter
Inserter

Post by triggerman602 »

The dependencies list is too long and causes an exception in Foreman 0.1.9.5. I shortened it to just the base and it worked but idk what that does when used with other mods.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

triggerman602 wrote:The dependencies list is too long and causes an exception in Foreman 0.1.9.5. I shortened it to just the base and it worked but idk what that does when used with other mods.
It sounds like you're running an old version of Factorio, there was a bug regarding dependencies that was fixed back in 0.12.25.

triggerman602
Inserter
Inserter

Post by triggerman602 »

I'm on 0.12.29. Factorio works just fine with the mod, it's Foreman viewtopic.php?f=134&t=5576 that is throwing the exception. I'll go post the issue there too.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

Wow nice mod. Why didn't i notice its existence earlier?

maurojunior2011
Inserter
Inserter

Post by maurojunior2011 »

I use the version "12.30" language "PT-BR" and the research does not appear to me ... even creating a new game ... but if I use:

\ C game.local_player.force.research_all_technologies ()

research appears already searched.

this happens even if I only use this mod in the game.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

maurojunior2011 wrote:I use the version "12.30" language "PT-BR" and the research does not appear to me ... even creating a new game ... but if I use:

\ C game.local_player.force.research_all_technologies ()

research appears already searched.

this happens even if I only use this mod in the game.
The research will not appear until you launch a satellite. From the first post:
Supercheese wrote:In order to unlock the Satellite Uplinking research, you must have at least one satellite (vanilla satellite, not ion cannon) in orbit.
I realize this is non-standard behavior, but I need to limit your ability to build the Uplink Station until you actually have a satellite to uplink with. It seems I need to emphasize this a bit more. ;)

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

One question - is it possible to add a fast movement mode or something like that?

I ask because in my game I have 2 outposts that take about 2 minutes of travel via train without wagons. So, if I want to do something there from my main base (usually just trimming some bases with my Ion Cannons), realistically it's not even close practical.

I found that doing anything in outposts it's just faster to take a train.
Is it possible?

Return to “Mods”