[MOD 0.13] Time Tools (& Clock Combinator)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Zatharrax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Time Tools 1.0.3 (& Clock Combinator)

Post by Zatharrax »

i keep getting this when i try to load in. " __TimeTools__/control.lua:17: attempt to index global 'script' (a nil value) " :x

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Zatharrax wrote:i keep getting this when i try to load in. " __TimeTools__/control.lua:17: attempt to index global 'script' (a nil value) " :x
Strange error. It sounds like maybe you are using an older version of Factorio. In that case, please update to last version 12.30 and tell me if the error is gone.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

Thank you autor for the really good mod. :D Feature with the time dilation(1/8) is very useful during a base construction and in battles with bitters. Its turn spam "key spase" action shooter in strategy mod. When you can shoot in this splitter and then in anoter one ad for the end kill these bitters. 8-)

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Sedar wrote:Thank you autor for the really good mod. :D Feature with the time dilation(1/8) is very useful during a base construction and in battles with bitters. Its turn spam "key spase" action shooter in strategy mod. When you can shoot in this splitter and then in anoter one ad for the end kill these bitters. 8-)
Ha ha, I never thought about this use ! ;)
Thanks for the appreciation and if you like to kill mass of aliens, you can try to grown them by yourself with this other mod I wrote : Aliens Eggs. Have fun !

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Here is v1.0.4
Now that I learnt a bit more about multiplayer, I set a headless server and made some tests...
So now it should be multiplayer compatible.
If players can test it on a real server with multiple players, I'd be interested to know if it really works MP.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Time Tools 1.0.5 (& Clock Combinator)

Post by binbinhfr »

Well sorry, but testing solo on a headless server is not enough :-)
Someone reported a bug when mod config changes, so here is a little correction if you have problems too : v1.0.5

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

feature request: instead of clicking the time multiplier switching to 1x then to 64x, make it remember what speed I was using and switch between that and 1x.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

sparr wrote:feature request: instead of clicking the time multiplier switching to 1x then to 64x, make it remember what speed I was using and switch between that and 1x.
Good idea !
Implemented in v1.0.6
Also release stress on clock-combinator inner data refresh.

Thalassicus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Time Tools 1.0.6 (& Clock Combinator)

Post by Thalassicus »

I encountered an odd issue. Clocks placed at an outpost don't show the time. The ones in my main base work okay, near the spawn point. I'm not 100% sure distance from origin is the deciding factor. I'm going to do some further testing.

Edit:

Oh! I didn't realize clocks must be in short range of a roboport. This feels strange, since robots don't interact with the clock. Items generally require roboport access only if robots need to access the item. My watch doesn't stop working when I walk away from home, after all, and this is a scifi setting with presumably advanced clocks.

If the limitation is necessary for some reason, I recommend describing the range limit on the item tooltip, and highlighting roboport ranges during placement. The current design is not intuitive.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Time Tools 1.0.6 (& Clock Combinator)

Post by binbinhfr »

You're right, there should not be any network proximity limitation !
That's what testers are for. I cannot test every sitution... ;)

So here is v1.0.7
No more limitation for the clock combinator to be in a logistic network. Can be placed and works everywhere.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] Time Tools (& Clock Combinator)

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Custom license. Great work! Means I won't bother with 1.0.12+. The "default" (recommended) license is the best.

Why? Because your custom license means that when you abandon this for some reason that also makes you "disappear" from Factorio, nobody can put up a new updated version if it becomes incompatible with a new Factorio.

Do you use mods yourself? I guess you do. Check if you use any mods that were updated by someone else but the original author. Did they all contact this original author? Was it even possible? (E-mail addresses do change).

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:Custom license. Great work! Means I won't bother with 1.0.12+. The "default" (recommended) license is the best.

Why? Because your custom license means that when you abandon this for some reason that also makes you "disappear" from Factorio, nobody can put up a new updated version if it becomes incompatible with a new Factorio.

Do you use mods yourself? I guess you do. Check if you use any mods that were updated by someone else but the original author. Did they all contact this original author? Was it even possible? (E-mail addresses do change).
Waooo, calm down man... :) In the history you can see that the custom license would be for the 1.0.12 version which is not released yet. So I did not updated the LICENSE.txt file in the old mod version (which still contains CC4-NC), but here it is, if you want to read it in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License BinbinHfr v2.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mod created by BinbinHfr (you can contact me on the Factorio forum)
License :
- you are free to use this mod with Factorio.
- you are free to distribute this mod as long as this license and the mod package are kept intact.
- you are free to talk about this mod in any form (articles, forums, podcasts, videos, etc.).

- you cannot modify this mod without my explicit permission (except for strict personal use).
- if you modify this mod, you cannot distribute the modified version nor release it to the public.

- in case this mod seems abandonned and not maintained anymore, and if I do not respond on the
Factorio forum mod's thread, you can then choose to maintain this mod, modify it and distribute
it under a separate release, giving clear credits to the original author.

- this mod is provided "as is" and without any warranty.

So, as long as I'm around here, I just don't want people to release alternate versions of my mods ; that seems fair (to me). I read on the forum that other modders have the same approach (example here)

I changed this license because someone told me that the CC4 BY-NC default license prevents people to make video of your mod on youtube (which is sometimes commercial and retributed). So I wonder if this license is really the best for factorio mods, and factorio publicity in general.

PS : I must add that I am disappointed that you did not use all this energy before, to send me a "thank you" for the mod I freely developped and that you are using. ;)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

binbinhfr wrote: PS : I must add that I am disappointed that you did not use all this energy before, to send me a "thank you" for the mod I freely developped and that you are using. ;)
BAM

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

You'd love to see mod threads swamped with "Thank you" posts? ;-)

Let's put it like this: if I didn't like your mod and be a happy user (which, at least to me, implies gratefulness), I wouldn't even have bothered commenting.

As to your license: there's no legal definition/precendent for "abandoned". So, that's a useless term. Except if you'd define it yourself (and there are licences, even commercial ones, which include such clauses).

As to the CC4 thing... that's paranoid bullshit. Yes, it's... about as unclear as Factorio Let's Plays (and this goes for many, many, *MANY* other games too) in general. There's one forum post by kovarex... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=352#p1852, which pretty much is useless even though it allows it. If any later incarnation of Wube would want to put a stop to LPs, they could easily delete this post.

Mod makers... well, they could try to pull a DMCA/sue, but really, fearing that is pretty much pure paranoia. Who'd do that?

And yes, you can do anything at all, copyright-wise, as long as no-one complains. No matter (current legal situation) how draconian the punishment *can* be. And in the case of YT vids, pretty much the worst that can happen is someone getting YT to take down the video.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.X] Time Tools (& Clock Combinator)

Post by binbinhfr »

0.13 update (clock combinator does not work for the moment, but I work on it , should be ok wednesday evening).

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.X] Time Tools (& Clock Combinator)

Post by binbinhfr »

clock combinator working !

DenFromEarth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12+] Time Tools (& Clock Combinator)

Post by DenFromEarth »

Hey Bin,

I consider this a must-have mod and I wonder if it would be possible to add an option to lengthen the day/night cycle, instead of changing the speed of everything in the game. I was using another mod (viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14509) to double the cycle in .12, but it didn't play well with your mod when I toggled full-time day on and off. Not sure if your willing to do this or if it would even work, but it would be a nice feature.

Anywho, thanks for the great mod.
Don't tell me you never wanted to do an orbital drop in a '59 convertible Corvette...
https://youtu.be/yKkt_g9Tc7M

tscolin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tscolin »

Hello binbinhfr, i love your mod.

A prior version of this mod worked fine in campaign on 0.13.6. The latest version of time tools is not showing the GUI in the new hope campaign.

Thank you for your hard work!

UPDATE: I was able to get it working by issuing the command:

Code: Select all

/c remote.call ( "timetools", "reset" )
Last edited by tscolin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hey Den,

thx for the positive return, always appreciated. ;)

I had a look at the other mod "day extender".
Infact it does not really extend the length of the day, but it plays very rapidly in realtime with the game internal clock to very often freeze the clock and so give a slowdown effect. So it can create a bad interaction with my mod which is expecting a classical time flow... Can also pose problems with other time based mods.

But this is the only known trick to artificially change the length of the day, and alas, it causes major problems in multi-player.
And I (and other players) are using my mod in multiplayer... So I won't break my mod, sorry.

But to help you, I adapted the day extender and posted a new unofficial version here :
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14509&p=182222#p182222
I also inserted a change so that you can now switch always_day mode on/off.
You can still use it, but you cannot freeze time with timetools anymore (clicking on the time button itself).

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

tscolin wrote:Hello binbinhfr, i love your mod.

A prior version of this mod worked fine in campaign on 0.13.6. The latest version of time tools is not showing the GUI in the new hope campaign.

Thank you for your hard work!

UPDATE: I was able to get it working by issuing the command:

Code: Select all

/c remote.call ( "timetools", "reset" )
waoo, thx guy, what would I do without these testers ;-) I forgot a little thing during my last big code change, so that newly installing the mod on an existing game was not showing the GUI...

it is corrected now, please update to 1.0.15

Return to “Mods”