Friday Facts #135 - Getting Organized

Regular reports on Factorio development.
K0nr4d
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #135 - Getting Organized

Post by K0nr4d »

I love the look of the new flamethrower. I wish the picture would be bigger so I could use it as my background. :)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

mngrif wrote:IT WERFS FLAMMEN!
Jaaaa~

I might just need to make an artillery mod to enable long-range napalm shelling of biter bases.
Last edited by Supercheese on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

About code review:

I'm currently in a team with very strict code review. We use Gerrit coupled with Jira. Each person has got his personal reviewer (other team member). If there are any issues, the commit is being fixed, fixes are ammended and pushed for the gerrit again. When this review passes, second person (one of the senior programmers) does final review. Same happens and if there are no issues code goes to master. We also use automatic style checkers (python pep8, but there should be ones for C++).

It works really well so far - code is consistent, well-written, even commented (!)

For less room-shouting I recommend splitting devs into 3-4 smaller rooms - it's easier to keep silence then and yeah, it helps alot :)

For procastination prevention best I know is just to move tasks people are stuck with for too long to somebody other, so they don't get frustrated and stay productive.

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

Supercheese wrote: I might just need to make an artillery mod to enable long-range napalm shelling of biter bases.
dude, i would love some Nuclear Rockets, or Rods of God... or simply a Railgun Turret. :D
but more Weapons are only one side of this game tho...
so Only adding Weapons would cause the Usual Biters to be Underpowered.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

You say that, but right now they biters do not apply themselves.

They're more of an environmental threat than a directed one, even on pretty high biter count. While biter variety would be great, different biter behaviour can also make a VAST difference :)

HulkingUnicorn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HulkingUnicorn »

Khaylain wrote:[...]I love the flame turret art, and the idea of flamethrower turrets. I hope that'll be an AOE turret.[...]
Considering the flamethrower mechanics are being changed I expect some conal action. I'm Imagining a fire control support building to prioritize nearby turret targeting (for example lasers focusing on big guys, flamers taking out the small fries).

gallomimia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gallomimia »

Was wanting the flamethrower turrets for quite awhile now! I hope they are dual fuel: either thru pipes or thru flamethrower fuel canisters.

With regards to your organization and especially the messy Trello board, I do suggest you ask for Michaela's help. Don't expect her to do it for you, but get some things sorted out with regards to priority, which need more details, and which can be shelved. Then assign a few team members to do those tasks she lays out.

roaringdragon2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roaringdragon2 »

I think that the flamethrower turret should be able to use either flamethrower ammo magazines or some oil product brought in through pipes.

ritonlajoie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ritonlajoie »

Nice blog post. I would suggest https://www.reviewboard.org/ , it's something widely used, you will find many plugins for all sort of things to connect it to. We use it at the office and it's pretty neat because it's very simple but functional.

bk5115545
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bk5115545 »

FFF's are great but I really love the technical ones. I'm glad you guys do them though and I wish every development group would.

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Could someone post a screen or the pic about the flamethrower ? can't see it cause of the main site problem.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

4 hours later and the issue is still not resolved. to reiterate what Marchombre said, could someone post a link/upload of the screenshot/gif please? :)
Last edited by MrDrummer on Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Here it's

And the FFF text if you can't load it.
FFF 135
Waste of bytes : P

JerryLive
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JerryLive »

Just want to share my two cents on a few shortfalls I see in you "Stand-up" plan as I have been down that road and would hate to see you fail. Love the game and hope it keeps progressing.

Fist, do stand-ups daily. If people are talking to much or long user a 2 minute timer and cut them off. People will get the picture soon enough. These are "mini" planning meetings to keep everyone aware of what others are doing and to offer help were needed. Also, you will see problems sooner.

Second, don't write it down what you talked about at scrum. First off, I now have an excuse to miss and can just get caught up by reading. Encourage people to communicate by making them ask someone what they missed. Second, it becomes a status meeting and it is not that. Again these are planning sessions for the day to keep each other informed as to what we are doing. People should want to cone and it should add value.

Lastly, you might want to think about splitting into two teams if possible. I know the difficulties and issues with this but if you are looking to 15/20 people that's 30-40 minute stand-ups at just 2 minutes a piece.

There are some other red flags in the things you said for me at least being in the software world but stand-ups daily are good for anything and any team. Not sure of your family life but a quick couple minute chat with your significant other each morning can make a life so much easier, especially once you have kids and all the extra that adds.

jaworeq
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jaworeq »

Hey, about handling peer review with the process - we were using svn and trac with bunch of midifications (trac is open-source, svn allows scripting in form of e.g. pre-commit-hooks) aaaand:

1. Every svn commit required a ticket in trac
2. After a commit, ticket would change owner (to previously set reviewer, but anyone could grab it and review) and status (to peer review)
3. Changes dont go further (to test env) until all the tickets are reviewed.

So that's theory, set for us by management, while in practice nobody ever had time for proper review and AT BEST it was limited to testing if code even works. But theory itself should be adaptable.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

They use Git as CVS, but it allows some scripting too.

Taron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Taron »

I work in a small team and we organize our work with JIRA and host the code on a private Bitbucket Server (quite cheap for small teams) JIRA and BitBucket work well together (like Ticket-Links in Commits and Branches and stuff like that).
For Code Review once a feature is done a Pullrequest is generated, then our CI (Jenkins) builds the pull request and runs all tests. Another member of the team has to review the pull request and approve it (or states that still work is to be done).
Only when all tests are green, the build was successful and a team member has approved the pull request, it can be merged into master (or any other develop branch, depending on your strategy). For coding style in c++ we use clang format which works really well once the team could agree on a style (just use it in your IDE for smart indentation and as a pre-commit hook). Included in the tests is a static code analysis by cppcheck and certain quality gates which force that the test coverage does not drop under a certain level and that new classes have tests and so on. All this looks like quite a bit of overhead, even more for a small team. First we feared we would lose productivity by reviewing every pull request and this rather strict quality gates, but in the long run it prevented so much trouble and extra work that it really paid off. One additonal great benefit of reviewing everything is more transparency and the team knows better what happens.

On a side note: Try pair programming (maybe not for every task). Its quite fun if done right and the results are often much better.

Would be nice to hear from you if any of the tips / recommendations got adopted by you folks. Keep up the great work.

Kazaanh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kazaanh »

I just hope his reach is as long as the laser turret. Otherwise you wouldn't need a pipe to maintain it, also that huge barrel. I mean that barrel is huge, its gonna spit liquid for a long distance.

Speaking off flamethrower weapon could use some love too, some buff maybe.

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

Thanks for the updates!

I, personally, still can't believe how much work and growth you are putting into a game that is already so great and seems so complete. I have a hard time seeing how you will make it better. I mean, I do like the things you're working on now, I just worry for you guys as a company. For each additional week of work you all do, how many more sales will that earn for you? Is there a ROI? I just want you all to still be around to make more games.

That said, Are you considering what you'll do next? Any ideas for your next game?

And lastly, when will factorio be done? Do you have a punch list? Or a rough idea or goal on when to be done? A Month? By Summer? Fall? I'm itching to binge play the game once steam achievments are in.

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

keyboardhack wrote:Here it's

Nice :D

Return to “News”