Doors and Gates

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

generalmek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Doors and Gates

Post by generalmek »

we very needed gate for car and a lot of items. concrete floor need too.
when you make them?

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: gate

Post by Garm »

While I agree, that gate is a necessary item, I believe the logic system needs an upgrade/revamp beforehand to properly support the gates. We need levers, proximity detectors, activation\passage detectors in order to have actually working gates.

On a side note - wrong forum - needs to be put into suggestions instead.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Moved to ideas and suggestions.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Stupid question: Why do we need a car gate? I'm just too intelligent to understand that. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

ssilk wrote:Stupid question: Why do we need a car gate? I'm just too intelligent to understand that. :)
Most likely because you can't mine whilst in car. So the current method of 'removing' wall bits to get to the other side of a walled area requires mining them, which cannot be done whilst in car?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah. In my current factory I have so few stone, that I cannot afford any wall. Or better: I built a wall of lasers. 3 rows of fully updated lasers can cope with nearly anything. :)

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by azoundria »

The simplest way would be to have a building which is not solid to the player, or cars, but solid to enemies. It builds a forcefield, which disappears when collided with.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

i wouldn't minds stone floor slabs, instead of making an entity it could change the terrain to a concrete style. then my factories could really look like factories(also it could give a production bonus if built upon for those who need a reason to build things)

generalmek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by generalmek »

Dakkanor wrote:i wouldn't minds stone floor slabs, instead of making an entity it could change the terrain to a concrete style. then my factories could really look like factories(also it could give a production bonus if built upon for those who need a reason to build things)
+1

Madara Uchiha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Madara Uchiha »

Since the game has advanced for quite a bit, I'd like to revive this thread.

Can we have gates? It's getting ridiculous opening cracks in your quadruple or quintuple walls at later game stages.

Doesn't have to be fancy, a 2-thick, 4-5 wide piece of technology that "disappears" or opens along an axis perhaps on click or in future updates via some sort of switch or sensor.

Is this doable in the current framework? Can we? Pretty please?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Think to a belt, which runs very fast. Sensors which recognize you. Control receives sensor signal and sends signal to belt to stop speed. After passing belt runs again.

On the other hand: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... ts/Defense

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We will add gate to the game, I don't know if 0.10 or 0.11 though :)

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

If you don't mind mods, then F-mod adds, among other things, a gate for your walls.

Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezhar »

I too want gates. I immediately remembered the neat gates from an old Command & Conquer game that were essentially barriers that automatically dropped into the ground when sensing an approaching vehicle. I found a screenshot of this (top right the barrier dropped to let a vehicle pass, bottom it is raised).

Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezhar »

Dakkanor wrote:i wouldn't minds stone floor slabs, instead of making an entity it could change the terrain to a concrete style. then my factories could really look like factories(also it could give a production bonus if built upon for those who need a reason to build things)
Some floor enhancement would be nice, although I think it's more realistic (and useful) for it to give a speed bonus to cars driving on it, permitting us to build roads (my factory is sufficiently large to need a car to get around). Perhaps a bonus to walking speed as well.

Hyena Grin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyena Grin »

A gate would be nice.

I would rather like to see stone floors, also. It's a bit sad seeing all of my elaborate machinery sitting on bare dirt. Plus, always nice to have something else to do with stone, which I'm convinced is a wildly under-utilized resource...

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Doors and Gates

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Walls need a way to pass through them without just leaving a huge gaping hole for biters to charge into, we need electronic doors that we can put into wall sections.

We could also use some sort of a "gateway" for trains and cars to pass through without letting biters charge blindly inside.

esf345
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

gates and such

Post by esf345 »

Moved. --ssilk

------------------------

i find gates would very effective for the game because i have a large inclosed area where i find a gate added to my wall or anybody's wall in which it would be easier enter and exit your factory compound and by gates i mean one type or many type of gates such as fence gates or large sliding gates for your cars.

Slooney3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Slooney3 »

Ezhar wrote:I too want gates. I immediately remembered the neat gates from an old Command & Conquer game that were essentially barriers that automatically dropped into the ground when sensing an approaching vehicle. I found a screenshot of this (top right the barrier dropped to let a vehicle pass, bottom it is raised).

I like this too.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Doors and Gates

Post by ssilk »

A bit outdated:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-39
Kovarex is currently working on the gate ( see https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-54 ) and there is a big chance, that it comes with v0.11.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”