Is it better to buy the game on Steam or direct?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zephyrdragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Is it better to buy the game on Steam or direct?

Post by zephyrdragon »

Hi, I'm new here!

I've played through the demo and I'd like to buy the game, but I'm just wondering if it's better to buy the game direct or just via Steam. Do the developers receive more of my money if I buy direct?

I'm in the UK so the € to £ conversion rate might need to be taken into account.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is it better to buy the game on Steam or direct?

Post by Choumiko »

Not sure how big the cut is that Steam takes, but I bet it's better for the devs if you buy it direct. Not sure if you get a Steam key then, would need to be answered by a staff member

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Yes, the developers receive more money if you buy the game on the website. In addition to the DRM free version of Factorio you will also receive a steam key.
On steam the game is 15 £ while on the website it will be around 15,50 £ (conversion rate as of today).
www.factorio.com/buy wrote:You get an access to the game right NOW. You will be entitled to ALL the game updates in the future as well. We deliver new versions every couple of months. Together with the game comes a scenario pack with three mini campaigns exploring different aspects of the game. You can get a Steam key to own the game on Steam as well.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

Steam takes somewhere between 15% to 30% cut, so buy it direct from factorio.com. Steam is a great platform for spreading the word and increasing sales however, and I'm sure the developers are seeing a huge cash influx since it's release.

Vox Imperatoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vox Imperatoris »

Don't forget that the developers are shelling out to give Steam keys to everyone who buys it direct, so Steam surely is getting a cut of that.

Still, it is probably better to buy direct. And why not, since it appears in your Steam library as well?

zephyrdragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zephyrdragon »

Thanks everyone, I'll buy it direct. Hope this post is useful to anyone in the future with the same question too :)

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

I wish i had saw this before i bought it on steam XD.

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Don't forget that the developers are shelling out to give Steam keys to everyone who buys it direct, so Steam surely is getting a cut of that.

Still, it is probably better to buy direct. And why not, since it appears in your Steam library as well?
To the best of my knowledge Steam makes no charge for registering a Steam key supplied by a third party, including the devs themsleves. AFAIK there is no downside at all to buying the game direct from the web site and then registering the key with Steam, excrept Steam doesn't get a cut.. Best of all worlds really.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

[Koub] Moderated

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

[Koub] Moderated.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

i was just about to remove my comment before i got banned XD ( i only posted it because i was mad at the moderators) if you look at the forum i suggested you would see that i was being sarcastic and i really didn't want you to pirate this game because pirating is bad)

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

DrEthan wrote:I wish i had saw this before i bought it on steam XD.
+1
In any case, getting it into the steam library is very nice. And that goes for any game.

JuanP
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JuanP »

Hi.
I'm from Spain and I bought Factorio in Steam, after that, I just register my acc in official page, they gave me a key.
Its the same thing that buy the gane in official page
Greetings.

RnMss
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RnMss »

daniel34 wrote:Yes, the developers receive more money if you buy the game on the website. In addition to the DRM free version of Factorio you will also receive a steam key.
W... What?!
Then what have I done!

Return to “General discussion”