[MOD 0.13.x] Shuttle Train v1.1.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
simwir
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.13.x] Shuttle Train v1.1.0

Post by simwir »

Since this forum have been turned into a 0.12 mod forum this post will no longer be updated.
For newer versions visit the Mod Portal.
For previus versions see this post or the Release page on the github.

For support please also use the discussion on the mod portal.

So you have built a big and expansive base and you need to go to one of your mining outposts, so what do you do? Well you use the rail network that you built anyway. The only problem is that the train GUI is horrible if you aren't setting up a route but just are going to a station one time. This mod aims to fix that, by adding a train specifically for transporting you around. You get a research that allows you to built a Shuttle Train, and when in the shuttle train you get this GUI:
You then just click the stations you want to go to and the train takes care of the rest.
Thanks to Stanfear for the filtering and Roktaal for ordering the stations alphabetically

Furthermore you can now click on the little train button in the top left to bring up the station list anywhere. Pressing it outside a train brings the closest unused shuttle train to that station.

The train works like an ordinary train, so you are still able to haul a couple of cargo wagons with you, if you fancy.

This mod has not yet been tested with multiplayer, so if you use it in multiplayer backup before you do, and please write about your experiences here, both good and bad :D
All feedback is appreciated.

Type: Mod
Name: Shuttle Train
Description: Quick transportation via rail
License: MIT License
Version: 1.1.0
Release: 01-07-2016
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.2
Download-Url: https://github.com/simwir/Shuttle-Train/releases
See how to get the latest features here
Changelog
Attachments
ShuttleTrain_1.1.0.zip
For Factorio 0.13
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
ShuttleTrain_1.0.1.zip
For Factorio 0.12
(10.07 MiB) Downloaded 551 times
ShuttleTrain_1.0.0.zip
For Factorio 0.12
(10.07 MiB) Downloaded 243 times
Last edited by simwir on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 13 times in total.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Shuttle Train 0.0.1

Post by StanFear »

hey, this is a great mod, I'll use it from now on ! and I bet once I have it set up right, I won't be able to play without ! (until vanilla factorio has it obviously :D)
I have a few suggestions though:
  • add a filter textbox, that way, people using something like '#PA' or something else for player access stations can select to only show these
  • if no path is available, try to rotate the shuttle
  • have you tested how it handles the save - reload when you have the UI open and you are not on the main page ? (you store the page as a local variable from what I saw, this could give an error)
  • remove the previous button when on page 1
If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask,
and anyways, Keep up the good work !

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I do agree with the filter, we usually name our go to stations with # in the first character of the name and all stopping point have 2 stops at them, some have more than 2 so this menu would get very cluttered real fast with automated network stops as well as other non-personal train stops.

Is there a picture of the train? Is this shuttle able to haul other carts with it? I usually stick on a cargo and/or a tanker in case I need to quickly pick up items or move fluid somewhere so my shuttles tend to be 1 locomotive and 2 carts.
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by simwir »

StanFear wrote:hey, this is a great mod, I'll use it from now on ! and I bet once I have it set up right, I won't be able to play without ! (until vanilla factorio has it obviously :D)
  • add a filter textbox, that way, people using something like '#PA' or something else for player access stations can select to only show these
  • have you tested how it handles the save - reload when you have the UI open and you are not on the main page ? (you store the page as a local variable from what I saw, this could give an error)
Thank you so much for the kind words and the suggestions. I will look into adding a filter so that you can filter out the unnecessary stations. Should it save the filter between uses or reset upon reentering?
In my testing saving and reloading would not give an error but to be able to use the UI again you would have to exit and reenter the train.
I left the button on the first page to make the UI "jump" less, but just made it inactive, will consider removing it :D
Vas wrote:Is there a picture of the train? Is this shuttle able to haul other carts with it? I usually stick on a cargo and/or a tanker in case I need to quickly pick up items or move fluid somewhere so my shuttles tend to be 1 locomotive and 2 carts.
The train does atm. use the vanilla train graphics as i'm not a very good artist, i'm working on some textures, but that is for later. The train also behaves like a vanilla train except for the fact that it opens a GUI, so you can haul all the cargo wagons you would like :)

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

simwir wrote:
StanFear wrote:hey, this is a great mod, I'll use it from now on ! and I bet once I have it set up right, I won't be able to play without ! (until vanilla factorio has it obviously :D)
Thank you so much for the kind words and the suggestions. I will look into adding a filter so that you can filter out the unnecessary stations. Should it save the filter between uses or reset upon reentering?
In my testing saving and reloading would not give an error but to be able to use the UI again you would have to exit and reenter the train.
I left the button on the first page to make the UI "jump" less, but just made it inactive, will consider removing it :D
I think the filter should stay in memory (per player of course)

About the UI, maybe, instead of removing the button, you could change its contents to something empty, that way, the UI doesn't jump, but you don't have a button that does not do anything but confuse the player

bushbaby1234
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bushbaby1234 »

would it be possible to add a button to call the shuttle to a station remotely? maybe a gui button that pulls up the regular menu?

either way ill be using this awesome mod.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

Hey, great mod but my OCD kicked in :oops: so I made a pull request with few gui and graphic changes:
  • Reduced text size of station buttons
  • Set minimum width of station buttons to 130px wide
  • Limited number of next pages to maximum number of pages based on amount of stations
  • Added "/{total number of pages}" to middle pagination button
  • Made Previous/Next button disabled if on first/last page
  • Moved mod title above pagination buttons
  • Changed graphics of shuttle train entity to match recipe icon (green)
Hope you like them and merge them to master

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

v0.0.2

Post by simwir »

Roktaal wrote:Hey, great mod but my OCD kicked in :oops: so I made a pull request with few gui and graphic changes.
Hope you like them and merge them to master
I really liked them and i have merged them to master and released them as v0.0.2.
bushbaby1234 wrote:would it be possible to add a button to call the shuttle to a station remotely? maybe a gui button that pulls up the regular menu?
either way ill be using this awesome mod.
I really like that idea, and i have created it as a Feature request on github.
Vas wrote:Is there a picture of the train?
There is now a picture of the train, because it no longer look like the standard train thanks to Roktaal

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Shuttle Train 0.0.2

Post by zytukin »

A simple solution for calling the train could be a way to open the GUI from outside the train, if that is possible. Like a button at the top of your screen the same way blueprint flipper, fat controller, and many other mods do. Then you could just open it and call it to whatever station is closest to you. As it is now, one can use the fat controller to remotely access the train and send it to your location (I do this with a normal train already for personal transport) but accessing the engine from outside the train still has the unmodded station listing gui. Eliminating that step (and the requirement of the fat controller to do it) would make the mod far more versatile and appealing.

DofD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DofD »

So i uploaded the mod to my .29 headless client and started it up
it only shows 2 stations atm but i have more in my network
Not shure if it is releated to multiplayer but i guess. Will test more ;D

Cancel this. Stations from the Smart Trains mod are not recognized as stations and as such are not listed ;)
Other than that it works flawlessly in MP ^^

Cheers

Edit 987423 :
Maybe you could include an option so smart stations/stations are displayed separate. This might reduce the clutter in the menu?!

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by simwir »

zytukin wrote:A simple solution for calling the train could be a way to open the GUI from outside the train, if that is possible. Like a button at the top of your screen the same way blueprint flipper, fat controller, and many other mods do. Then you could just open it and call it to whatever station is closest to you. As it is now, one can use the fat controller to remotely access the train and send it to your location (I do this with a normal train already for personal transport) but accessing the engine from outside the train still has the unmodded station listing gui. Eliminating that step (and the requirement of the fat controller to do it) would make the mod far more versatile and appealing.
Yeah that would be a good way to do it, the only hard part is finding a train, should it be the one closest to you or should you be able to pick from a list? I will be looking in to the possibilities when i get time. :)
DofD wrote:Stations from the Smart Trains mod are not recognized as stations and as such are not listed ;)
Maybe you could include an option so smart stations/stations are displayed separate. This might reduce the clutter in the menu?!
I had not considered smart stops, i know why it does not recognize them, and i think i also know how to fix it, so the possibility will be there in the future. I have created a bug/feature request issue on the github so that i remember about it. I think that the clutter will be fixed by the filtering that others have suggested.

Glad to hear that you didn't experience any problems in multiplayer, and if any appear make sure to get back to me :D

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Hey, I made a pull request for filtering station in the list

feel free to merge it or not, but maybe don't merge it if you don't understand what changes I made, well, unless you are not doing this to learn lua : :) but just to have a super fun mod !

anyways, if you don't understand something, just ask ! and if this is your baby and you don't want help (by that I mean someone that does the work instead of you), I get it :D

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by simwir »

StanFear wrote:Hey, I made a pull request for filtering station in the list

feel free to merge it or not, but maybe don't merge it if you don't understand what changes I made, well, unless you are not doing this to learn lua : :) but just to have a super fun mod !

anyways, if you don't understand something, just ask ! and if this is your baby and you don't want help (by that I mean someone that does the work instead of you), I get it :D
Hey thanks for the help :D I do however seem to have a bug when i use it :/ If I change page it returns to the 1st after a short time.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

DofD wrote:So i uploaded the mod to my .29 headless client and started it up
it only shows 2 stations atm but i have more in my network
Not shure if it is releated to multiplayer but i guess. Will test more ;D

Cancel this. Stations from the Smart Trains mod are not recognized as stations and as such are not listed ;)

Cheers

Edit 987423 :
It must be something with MP and train stop ownership. In SP smart train stops are recognized without issues as seen on the following screenshot:

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

I was hoping we could get compatibility with bob's mods, the one that adds the additional tiers of trains. Your shuttle barely moves if I put two MK3 wagons on it. Was hoping for Shuttle MK2 and Shuttle MK3 that works the same as the ones in bob's mod.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6987

I was also hoping that as suggested before, we could get a filter to show train stations with either a specific name, or you could make a "Shuttle Stop" (Train stop) that will show up on the shuttle's menu instead of showing "all stops".
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Vas wrote:I was also hoping that as suggested before, we could get a filter to show train stations with either a specific name, or you could make a "Shuttle Stop" (Train stop) that will show up on the shuttle's menu instead of showing "all stops".
It has been done, if you take the code from the github repository, you'll have the filter (I don't know why simwir didn't update the main post yet)
I have to say (because I made the update that added the filter) that I'm proud of how it works (on a UX perspective at least :))

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by simwir »

Vas wrote:I was hoping we could get compatibility with bob's mods, the one that adds the additional tiers of trains. Your shuttle barely moves if I put two MK3 wagons on it. Was hoping for Shuttle MK2 and Shuttle MK3 that works the same as the ones in bob's mod.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6987
I have added this as a feature request on the github, and will look into it at some point.
Vas wrote:I was also hoping that as suggested before, we could get a filter to show train stations with either a specific name, or you could make a "Shuttle Stop" (Train stop) that will show up on the shuttle's menu instead of showing "all stops".
StanFear is right this feature has been implementet (by himself) and will be in the next release, the only reason i have not yet updated the firstpost to include it is that i'm working on getting the call button in that release as well. But if you can't wait to get it, which I completely understand, I have put together a quick guide on how you can get the latest features from the github. You can read about that on my website

simwir
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Shuttle Train v1.0.0

Post by simwir »

Version 1.0.0 is now out!
Featuring:
  • Station filtering
  • Alphabetically sorted train station list
  • Call button to get the train to come to you
The station filtering has been developed by Stanfear.
The sorting of the stations list has been developed by Roktaal

DofD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DofD »

Got something new for you ;)

It seems to conflict with the [MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.2 (Updated '16-04-12). It doesnt crash without this mod ^^
Just a heads up for you to prevent further complications in the future :D

Cheers

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

DofD wrote:Got something new for you ;)
log
It seems to conflict with the [MOD 0.12.x] The 8L Train Project v1.2.2 (Updated '16-04-12). It doesnt crash without this mod ^^
Just a heads up for you to prevent further complications in the future :D

Cheers
Is fixed in a current pull request, if you want to fix it manually while waiting for an official release, change line 48 in control lua from

Code: Select all

if (player.vehicle == nil or player.vehicle ~= nil and player.vehicle.name ~= "shuttleTrain") and player.gui.top.shuttleTop == nil then
to

Code: Select all

if (player.vehicle == nil or player.vehicle ~= nil and player.vehicle.name ~= "shuttleTrain") and player.gui.top.shuttleFrame == nil then

Return to “Mods”