[MOD 0.12.x] Specialized oil refineries (not 3 at once)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Specialized oil refineries (not 3 at once)

Post by Walter »

SPECIALIZED OIl REFINERIES

I MOVED THIS MOD TO https://mods.factorio.com/mods/walter/s ... refineries
THIS FORUM POST WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED. PLEASE VISIT THE URL ABOVE.
Last edited by Walter on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 52 times in total.

maurojunior2011
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Specialized oil refineries (not 3 at once)

Post by maurojunior2011 »

Awesome :D thanks :D

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

maurojunior2011 wrote:Awesome :D thanks :D
You're very welcome!
Be sure to download 1.0.1 that I just released, it has some small fixes but nevertheless makes it even better ;)

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Very interesting! It makes using oil a LOT easier.
I'm still on the fence whether it makes oil too easy or not.

So, it ADDS refineries, but keeps the vanilla refinery still there right?

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:Very interesting! It makes using oil a LOT easier.
I'm still on the fence whether it makes oil too easy or not.

So, it ADDS refineries, but keeps the vanilla refinery still there right?
Yes, I chose not to change vanilla. This mod adds 1 refinery building and 3 recipes. You can set each of the refineries to one of those recipes. Vanilla refineries cant be set to them.

If you like I can send you a version with different settings, or maybe you can do it yourself, its not hard. You could change the refinery speed, amounts, pollution, power requirement, construction materials and even the requirements for the technology. I think of it as a balanced building, I did choose to make the research easy since personally I use them as a replacement for the vanilla refineries. But if you increase the technology requirement than it can be "that refinery upgrade" that vanilla lacks imo
Last edited by Walter on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

No, how it is now is fine with me. I play in peaceful mode so the pollution is not important.

Drickon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Drickon »

Good job. I think this is great. However, I feel that the pollution should actually be higher, realistically, because of portions of the crude being wasted. Very useful mod, but I think it might be a little OP.

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Drickon wrote:Good job. I think this is great. However, I feel that the pollution should actually be higher, realistically, because of portions of the crude being wasted. Very useful mod, but I think it might be a little OP.
Perhaps pollution should be higher, it does produce more faster. But processing crude oil into a single product does not have to be wasteful. Vanilla refineries don't waste a drop either. The "waste" would be the water it requires. No?

Drickon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Drickon »

Walter wrote:
Drickon wrote:Good job. I think this is great. However, I feel that the pollution should actually be higher, realistically, because of portions of the crude being wasted. Very useful mod, but I think it might be a little OP.
Perhaps pollution should be higher, it does produce more faster. But processing crude oil into a single product does not have to be wasteful. Vanilla refineries don't waste a drop either. The "waste" would be the water it requires. No?
What I mean is that, since crude oil is made up of all of the components that we extract from it, as in the different fuels and lubricants, if you were to take out only one type of fuel, the rest of the ingredients that aren't refined would end up as waste. Once you "filter" out all of the one type you are going for, you can't get more of the same out of the rest of the crude. So, the refinery you have made could be very efficient at getting one output, but it should have a higher pollution rate than the vanilla one.

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Drickon wrote:
Walter wrote:
What I mean is that, since crude oil is made up of all of the components that we extract from it, as in the different fuels and lubricants, if you were to take out only one type of fuel, the rest of the ingredients that aren't refined would end up as waste. Once you "filter" out all of the one type you are going for, you can't get more of the same out of the rest of the crude. So, the refinery you have made could be very efficient at getting one output, but it should have a higher pollution rate than the vanilla one.

Fair point. I expected people to have different views and decided that I would fork this mod in case a request was made. I will upload a more polluding version soon, which will be marked as such. Version numbers will be the same for all technical changes, so it will be called "1.0.1 - more pollution".

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot.

Edit: instead Sander suggested to keep a single version and just allow you guys to change settings. Which I did. Thanks for the suggestion Sander.
Last edited by Walter on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drickon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Drickon »

Walter wrote:
Drickon wrote:
Walter wrote:

Fair point. I expected people to have different views and decided that I would fork this mod in case a request was made. I will upload a more polluding version soon, which will be marked as such. Version numbers will be the same for all technical changes, so it will be called "1.0.1 - more pollution".

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot.
No problem, dude. Good work!

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Why don't you just add a 'config.lua' file? That way everyone can decide for themselves. That would keep everyone on the same version.

I absolutely love this mod because 3 outputs on such a small refinery space really makes everything messy.

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:Why don't you just add a 'config.lua' file? That way everyone can decide for themselves. That would keep everyone on the same version.

I absolutely love this mod because 3 outputs on such a small refinery space really makes everything messy.
That is a great idea. I'll do that and upload later today

Ps; good to hear you like it!

EDIT: done, version 1.0.2 is here. Check the first post for more info.

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

You swapped the entry ports on the specialized refinery!

I didn't even notice till I had no plastic :/

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

SoulForge wrote:You swapped the entry ports on the specialized refinery!

I didn't even notice till I had no plastic :/
Oops ^^ It happened when I made water optional in the config settings. Ill fix it. Thanks and sorry ;-)
Last edited by Walter on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

What do we need to change to get the water on the correct side again?

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:What do we need to change to get the water on the correct side again?

I will fix it AND make a config option to swap them yourself in case you already changed the piping.

I needed to fix some texts and graphics anyways. Ill upload 1.0.3 in the coming hour. (EDIT: done)

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

It´s an interesting mod but why did you add a new crafting category for these 3 recepies?
You didn´t have to do it. I removed this from my version and it works exactly the same, the recepies are locked to the specialized refineries.

Walter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walter »

Slimey wrote:It´s an interesting mod but why did you add a new crafting category for these 3 recepies?
You didn´t have to do it. I removed this from my version and it works exactly the same, the recepies are locked to the specialized refineries.
I did it to lock them to the specialized refineries. Perhaps it is not needed, but I didn't have the chance to invest the time to do it otherwise yet. Maybe later. If you would not mind to share your code however I'd be happy to include it in 1.0.4 so there is no longer an extra category.

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

Of course!

My changes:
In recipe.lua -> Change subgroup from "specialized-fluid-recipes" to "fluid-recipes".
In category.lua -> Remove the "item-group" and "item-subgroup" part of the code.

..and that was all I did.
2-3 minutes + startup time of Factorio to test it.
I actually failed at my first attempt when I removed/changed more parts of the code, but it turned out to be easier then I thought to remove the category without breaking the mods functionality.
Attachments
specialized_refineries_1.0.3b.zip
(311.21 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Return to “Mods”