Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.18] Robot Army. v0.4.4

Post by kyranzor »

Mod Version - see files below at mod portal link: V0.4.4
Release date for 0.4.4 is 2020-Feb-17
CURRENT VERSION:
Mod Portal Link

For interested contributors and bugfixing: https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfactorio

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING THE DEV/UNSTABLE BRANCH FROM GITHUB:
General Information at the Wiki on Github: https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfactorio/wiki
GitHub stats

changes from 0.4.3 to 0.4.4:
- updated to work for Factorio 0.18. Had to change some sound file names, easy!
- small fix on start-up error when no tick or squad table existed.

Please, report bugs on Github (https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfactorio/issues) or on the forum thread, not on the Mod Portal (until they allow mod authors to get email notifications).
See mod portal https://mods.factorio.com/mods/kyranzor/robotarmy for download

Concept:
Manufacture and deploy automated soldiers to go out in hunting parties to annihilate the biter menace, or an opposing player's base/army.

How it works:
Manufacturer a "droid" soldier unit which is placed like any normal object or deployed at the Droid Assembler. You produce droids in an Assembler 2 or 3 (blue or yellow), after researching at least military 1. Military 2 and 3 unlock the later game droid soldier types. There are also now flying robots available and are unlocked with the "Combat Robotics" tech.

The droids move around and can form squads and attack nearest biter bases. Droids placed nearby another droid or group of droids will join their squad. If there are none nearby, the droid will make his own squad and wait around for more droids until finally the squad reaches the point where they will go and hunt (configurable, in config.lua).

Wherever you choose to place them, the soldiers mingle around defending their area until there is a certain squad size, at which point they will move to go hunt as mentioned earlier. They can be placed at any time during battle if you want some backup while taking down a huge biter nest. Be aware - They engage with the enemy and will aggressively hunt nearby biters/nests. They may slaughter their way through an entire (early to mid-game) biter nest or at least die trying. Huge numbers will be needed to take on biter nests with large worms and medium/large biters. The mod has been expanded to add more powerful and different types of robot soldiers in order to help deal with that issue.

[OLD FEATURE - NOT USED ANYMORE]
The droid squads collect Alien Artifacts (including bobs' ones) if you have placed an Army loot chest. You can place Droid Guard Stations and fill them with droids and it will spawn a group and keep the numbers up if some die while defending the area. Alien artefacts have been disabled by the default game, and are disabled in the mod now by default. if you run with Bob's Enemies or other mods that have drops by aliens with the word 'artefact' in it, then you can re-enable it in the config.lua by finding the obviously named setting and making it = 1

More recent videos and Youtuber Spotlights:
See Xterminator's mod spotlight video for a quick introduction to the things this mod adds: https://youtu.be/21wTN5Bui3c

For a great introduction to the mod's features in German please see this video by SeeNo:
Für eine großartige Einführung in die Features des Mods auf Deutsch lesen Sie bitte dieses Video von SeeNo:
https://youtu.be/JK3SI5Geg1o
Attachments
robotarmy_0.1.43.zip
Bugfixes for loot chest and dummy droid items
(113.02 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
robotarmy_0.1.42.zip
Bugfixing, alien artifact gathering added
(113.09 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
robotarmy_0.1.41.zip
Supports 0.13, performance improvements, balance changes to stats and costs
(72.95 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
robotarmy_0.1.4.zip
re-uploaded. recipe for droid assembler fixed. fixed migration files and force recipe unlock if tech is already done. See changelist.txt or forum post for changes
(74.47 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
robotarmy_0.1.3.zip
See changelist.txt or forum post for changes
(25.33 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
robotarmy_0.1.2.zip
(Hotfix for games not started using mod)each player has a squad, all units are added to this, squad follows player.
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
robotarmy_0.1.1.zip
Updated. added explosion on death, new icon
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
robotarmy_0.1.0.zip
Initial Version
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Last edited by kyranzor on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:26 am, edited 73 times in total.

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.29] Robot Soldiers. RTS precursor?

Post by miturion »

This is cool! Great work.
Automated biter hunting is something that is missing in factorio.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Factorio meets Supreme Commander ... lets automate the WAR! :twisted:
Great Job!

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

Hi guys, just to clarify the behaviour of these robot soldiers is literally just an idle spitter. They will stay where they are spawned until aggro'd by incoming enemies.

You could make fortifications from walls to keep them from wandering too far.

They auto-heal slowly.

There is currently no death animation, I want to add one though!

They work best in small groups - or a huge swarm whatever you want.

I just added a git repo for those interested in adding or fixing anything for me ;)
https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfactorio
Last edited by kyranzor on Sun May 01, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MiniMe943 »

Seems very interesting, with some work on the AI, and all the other polish, I can see this mod being a lot of fun.

LCCX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LCCX »

This is a good idea and I had no idea that modding Factorio could be so easy! I'm busy for the next couple weeks, but I'll take a look once I'm back.

Thanks for using the MIT licence.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

I want this mod to work as a base for others to make the RTS functionality that I think Factorio lends itself towards, but has not yet been (or might never be) implemented by the devs.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

I love your idea! Personally i would find it very cool if your "spawned" soldieres would form a group and than seek out nerby enemy biter nests on their own. Essentially you would be producing your own "biters" which would work in the same way the biters do, just in the opposite way.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

soldieres would form a group and than seek out nerby enemy biter nests on their own
Yes, that is basically the point of the mod, the overall vision i'm aiming for. It becomes a war of attrition with the biters, and you can go out with your swarm of troops and help them carve out the biter deathworld!

Against other players, it's a "who can manufacture the most/best weapons of war" and lead their armies to victory against strategic ore patches etc.

And then sending enough supplies to defend your outposts against the enemy swarm of robot soldiers

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

Version 0.1.1 added, adds explosion (no damage yet, even though there should be) on the death of a droid soldier. Custom icon (exoskeleon icon with modifications).

item should be in the military category now too. See first post for updated .zip

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.29] Robot Soldiers. Updated to 0.1.1

Post by miturion »

Yuoki Tani made a cool looking combat droid for his mod. Maybe you can ask him if you may use it.
https://youtu.be/ZYAV8RWYB9o?t=18m53s

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

"Start Dreaming"

Can produce Soldiers with different tier/upgrades. Exoskelets make it faster or better weapon fire faster ...
Fully automatic the War.
I can produce the soldiers, bring it with trains to the front, unload it to a chest and that chest is a "Spawn Point".
Where i can give 2 Infos "Group of Soldiers = 20". When it reached 20 its start to drop the army an go to fight the biters in a group.
And "Radius = 100" the distance to the Spawn point who it will fight the enemy.

So i can make a outpost ... send soldiers with trains and give only the group size and radius and lets fight!
Better Mechs/Tanks because the enemy will also stronger

"End Dreaming"

With this i can only say ...
Im prepared ... lets rock

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

;) you genius!

google translate
I have been waiting for something like that .. well done! it is necessary to have not only the soldiers but also tanks, and new weapons to add). and that they could be refilled and to supply weapons to realism.

рус оригинал
давно ждал что то подобное.. молодец! надо еще не только солдат но и танки, и оружие новое добавить). и то бы их можно было заправлять и снабжать оружием для реализма.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

I have try it and the balance is quite good ... not to strong and not to weak.
To make that robots it need heavy armor and that is a little to expensive ... i would prefer the normal armor or something else.
310 Iron and 112,5 Cooper is to expensive for that firepower.

Better change the recipe to
10x Green Electronic
1x Submachine Gun
1x Iron Armor
10x Pircing Round Magazin
then it cost 130 iron and 70 Cooper ... thats OK i think.

EDIT:
For Big Worms the are to weak ... it will be cool to have a stronger Droid with rockets or something else.
And that can have the other Recipe.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

miturion wrote:Yuoki Tani made a cool looking combat droid for his mod. Maybe you can ask him if you may use it.
https://youtu.be/ZYAV8RWYB9o?t=18m53s
Wow, that is amazing stuff from Yuoki. Epic robot thingy.

DOSorDIE: I think there are plenty of improvements to the recipes and balance for future, for now i'm doing a "minimum viable product" and getting all the tech (code, mod technical issue) out of the way first for a stable base, and then I/other people can work on the flesh and skin of the concept - making fancy graphics and fixing all the recipes and making different robot types with awesome guns/features.

Speaking of tech issues, I just fixed one that means 0.1.2 can be released now, which has squads follow their respective player who spawned them. Currently every unit placed just automatically joins that player's squad. Means you and a friend can play online and lead a giant army each into battle ;)

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

kyranzor wrote: Speaking of tech issues, I just fixed one that means 0.1.2 can be released now, which has squads follow their respective player who spawned them. Currently every unit placed just automatically joins that player's squad. Means you and a friend can play online and lead a giant army each into battle ;)
in that case the recipe is OK.
Is it possible to "collect" the army once i dont need it? That will be awsome!
Versus Big Worms its a little disaster ... i need stronger one maybe with different weapons like rocket launcher or else.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

I could have the units mineable maybe? To pick them back up. Or maybe a "disband' feature that makes all troops go to a certain type of building and convert themselves back into a droid item.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

kyranzor wrote:I could have the units mineable maybe? To pick them back up. Or maybe a "disband' feature that makes all troops go to a certain type of building and convert themselves back into a droid item.
:o The disband feature where great ... when ide more then 1 min then go back to base and convert to a item.
But for the first ... mineable were more then enough.

EDIT:
Maybe a building who set the droid items to troops? ... then i have all i need for a Big War.
The limiter for set the trooops I can build with logic ... so the mod dont need to do that.
I only need a bigger Range who it attack the enemy.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

kyranzor wrote:Speaking of tech issues, I just fixed one that means 0.1.2 can be released now, which has squads follow their respective player who spawned them. Currently every unit placed just automatically joins that player's squad. Means you and a friend can play online and lead a giant army each into battle ;)
Why would you do that? If I wanted robots that follow me then I could just use destroyer capsules instead. The big problem with destroyer capsules (for automating war) is that they follow the player instead of seeking out targets.
What you want is to select troops and give them a target to walk to on the map. You know, RTS style. But also some kind of automatic seek and destroy mode. And some way to automate deployment like you can do with logistics and construction bots, requester chest with inserter into robot port.

If I made a automatic war mod then I would probably use construction bots as base for a defence oriented bot (stays within logistic network) and destroyer capsules as base for offence.

Bug: After a while they despawn. And so do the natives which the are modded from. And the natives also despawn if there's water in their path when they get stuck on it because they don't know how to walk around it so yours will probably also do that. Bug it's not really acceptable that your bots just vanish if you want to actually use them. Also without random despawns you need some way to put them back into a box or you will crash your game from trying to simulate infinite undying robots. :)

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Thats why its work in progress!
He test what with the system is possible ... and the possibilities are limited.
Now i think he make a working base and then he will improve it.

Return to “Mods”