[0.8.x] Experimental Inserters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.8.x] Experimental Inserters

Post by lyravega »

MAINTAINED ON THIS POST

Experimental Inserters 0.0.2 (name still not final :P)
I know there is a mod that practically does the same. But I wanted to get into modding a little bit, and made this.
A simple recipe will unlock the new ones. Near inserters have darker icons and colors, and the "misplaced" arrow can help the user identify these.
Near inserters will first pick-up from and drop to the near side of a bant. Their recipe requires normal versions, no extra costs.
Energy usage is the same for all of them; new long-handed ones use more power, like how smart/fast inserters use more power.

Features:
-Smart & Fast Long Handed Inserters
-Near Inserters

MAINTAINED ON THIS POST

ImageTop-left ones are existing ones. Bottom-left ones are new ones, and right ones are near versions.ImageTo the right, you see double belt arrangers (filter-ers). Filters item on one belt and moves them to the other one. *coming soon*
Last edited by lyravega on Tue May 06, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: More Inserters

Post by Kadaban »

Here's an Idea for you:

Try to make an "around the corner" inserter ;)
No idea if the engine is capable of doing so at all. An inserter that could take from its "front" and output to its "sides" would be really helpful for tight builds.
Or even more interesting:
A (filter?) inserter that takes from (near) front and outputs to the (far) front!
Even better!
A double inserter... it has two arms opposing each other and with each 180° rotation it would pick stuff up and the one side and drop it off at the other!
Imagine that thing going at full speed and we have lift off :D

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

First of all welcome. Its always great to see new modders.

Secondly, a few (2 really) pointers.

1) you should change the topic name to: [0.8.x] mod name
This makes it easier to know to which version of factorio it is compatible.

2) and that also brings me to the second point, you should change the name of your mod. My mod is already called More inserters, and 2 mods with the same name is kinda hard to spot the difference for some people.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Dysoch wrote:First of all welcome. Its always great to see new modders.

Secondly, a few (2 really) pointers.

1) you should change the topic name to: [0.8.x] mod name
This makes it easier to know to which version of factorio it is compatible.

2) and that also brings me to the second point, you should change the name of your mod. My mod is already called More inserters, and 2 mods with the same name is kinda hard to spot the difference for some people.
1&2- Changing the name. For some reason, I thought the mod you were maintaining was called half-inserters. I'll try to come up with a new name. If I change the name of the mod, will it cause stuff to disappear though?
Kadaban wrote:Here's an Idea for you:

Try to make an "around the corner" inserter ;)
No idea if the engine is capable of doing so at all. An inserter that could take from its "front" and output to its "sides" would be really helpful for tight builds.
Or even more interesting:
A (filter?) inserter that takes from (near) front and outputs to the (far) front!
Even better!
A double inserter... it has two arms opposing each other and with each 180° rotation it would pick stuff up and the one side and drop it off at the other!
Imagine that thing going at full speed and we have lift off :D
Hello. I've thought about these (especially the corner one), but I have no idea about the limitations, or capabilities. Cross-inserters was also something I thought about, but I don't know how the game handles all these things. But for corner one, I have an idea, among other ideas that I've been trying.

Filter inserter that takes from same side and inserts to same side, I can see it can be used to tidy belts up, or compress the belts. If I can find the magic number (where it takes from near but leaves far alone), sure, why not.

Double inserter, hahah, like a chinook? :P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Wide and Near Inserters: WN inserters

You can change the topic of the thread by editing your first post.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

ssilk wrote:Wide and Near Inserters: WN inserters

You can change the topic of the thread by editing your first post.
Nah I meant, if I change the mod name (the name you see in the game), will it erase the existing stuff?

edit: also thanks for the suggestion. WN sounded like VN (Von Neumann) so I think I'll use something related to Neumann ^_^

lyravega
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyravega »

Kadaban wrote:A (filter?) inserter that takes from (near) front and outputs to the (far) front!
I tried numerous values to find a magic number (Where it takes from one side of a belt, and puts it on the other side), but it produced problems every time. So I abandoned that idea for now (unless I can find out how exactly they work). Instead I made this:

It basically filters items on one belt, and puts them on the other. I use double belts sometimes, and this helped me cleaning stuff up, aswell as making them look tidy by removing the need of making a snake-belt and put inserters in between. Can also be used to feed a belt by using another one too, I guess. Haven't uploaded it yet though. Wish I could make a smart-splitter, where I could decide what goes which belt, and/or even a tiny-smart-"splitter" for single belts, separating items to left and right side of the belt, and maybe used to compress stuff on a belt. This suffices for the first "smart-splitter" for now :P

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.8.x] Experimental Inserters

Post by Neotix »

Can we expect update to new Factorio version?

Roest
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.8.x] Experimental Inserters

Post by Roest »

I took the liberty to update this to 0.9.8 as it seems to be something I want to use.
Attachments
moreinserters.zip
(218.66 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

Return to “Mods”