Miner with lubricant

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

XGRDX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Miner with lubricant

Post by XGRDX »

simple idea of a late game miner that needs a constant large supply of lubricant to function

Why have in game?
Purely for the logistical challenge of trying to get lubricant to far off mines

As for why you would go out of your way to build such a thing there are all sort of rewards it could have ranging from very fast speed to extra resources but in the end I don't really care of the reward only that late game mining is more complicated

Kirvesnaama
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Miner with lubricant

Post by Kirvesnaama »

Could work together with the deep mining idea talked about in the devs plans. Having the ore deposits contain both easily mined rich veins that run out fast and deep vast reserves of hard-to-mine and hard-to-refine ore for extended late game would even fit realistically, not to mention the game logic of added logistical challenge.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

problem is delivering lube to the miner

with the current state of liquid transport you need an entire crude oil setup within pipeble distance and have a way of dealing with any excess light oil and petroleum.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Needing lube for mines would only make sense for mines in the factories currently due to the issue that rachetfreak mentions.

Unless lube could be barreled.
Which....is how lube is transported in real life anyway, lol.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think it would add headache without benefits gameplay wise. Currently, the only way to transport lube is with pipes. GL&HF piping thousand tiles away outposts, and removing everything once mine is depleted.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There was talk from the devs about making mining installations a bit more permanent in the endgame. Maybe lubricated mines could be the ticket? For example an unlimited ore node might use such a mine where you provide oil (which IS unlimited, even at 0.1), and get some extra ore out of it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think barrelling fluids works... the big issue is that you don't get the empty barrel back in situations where the barrelled item is used like a fuel.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

Water would be more plausible.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I think barrelling fluids works... the big issue is that you don't get the empty barrel back in situations where the barrelled item is used like a fuel.
That's not a problem if the player is getting unlimited ore in exchange.
It has more to do with tech placement. Lubricant is late enough in the tech tree to offer a new type of mining machine.

Water is a problem if players only have water in the spawn zone. There needs to be some consideration here for any machine that needs water far from spawn.

Roboovce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Roboovce »

Well guys,
I think its gr8 idea, noone forces you to have better miner with lube, you ofc can have worse tier miner. If you want to have better way gaining goods, preparation for it is often more difficult.

Its good idea in my opinion, for removing pipes you will use robots in lategame and its easy..

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

bobucles wrote:
It has more to do with tech placement. Lubricant is late enough in the tech tree to offer a new type of mining machine.

Water is a problem if players only have water in the spawn zone. There needs to be some consideration here for any machine that needs water far from spawn.
Ah, so maybe a new MacGuffin? Call it Coolant. Takes water and something, oil or lube or coal (graphite!). Less plausible, but is fits tech placement.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”