General Discussion

New energy types, decorations, electric train, new types of belts and inserters, bigger inventory and many more stuff.

Moderators: McGuten, odin_spain

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: General Discussion

Post by Lemlin »

Mokmo wrote:So i installed 3.0.0, not the whole thing just core, automatization, logistic and trains.

On my save that had all these except automatization, what i notice a lot
-You made a lot of categories that take a lot of place and move a lot of items around for no obvious reason
-did you change the dynamics of electric rails, because i can't get further than a pole's reach before losing all power (problem from 2.2 also)
-Categories spam, getting lost was very easy. Hey, i need the electric smelter, it's not in production anymore, so is a lot of things the parts i installed don't even touch. All guns/armor/ammo went out of their specific category, again. I don't think it's well executed.

Any way to get automatization 2.2.0 somewhere ? I like it but not 3.0.0,,,
I agree, I got so confused by the categories that I had to switch back to the old version. I finally learned how to find stuff and now I was forced to start over...

Xilef2468
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Error message when loading foctorio with the trains mod.

Post by Xilef2468 »

I haven't changed any files, just put an unpacked mod folder in Factorio Mods folder, but when I try to load factorio I get this error message:
Error while loading entity prototype
"locomotive-furnace-moving-trans" (furnace): No such node
(crafting_categories)
Modifications:Wagons
Any help would be appreciated.

tommygunner70
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tommygunner70 »

Question; is there a way to turn off all the 5dim crafting re-categorization? between default game elements getting moved into these catagories and modded elements being in the default catagories, I have to look through every dang category to find what I'm looking for and its pissing me off.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello odin_spain,

why did you decide to break with the forum and build your own website for your mods?

This dicision looks like you don't want to have something in common with this forum and it's users.

Also i'm missing a short overview in this forum which is the current version of your modules.
Here i can subscribe to threads with mods i like and i want to be informed for updates.

Your work is outstanding and i like it a lot.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

McGuten
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by McGuten »

steinio wrote:Hello odin_spain,

why did you decide to break with the forum and build your own website for your mods?

This dicision looks like you don't want to have something in common with this forum and it's users.

Also i'm missing a short overview in this forum which is the current version of your modules.
Here i can subscribe to threads with mods i like and i want to be informed for updates.

Your work is outstanding and i like it a lot.

Greetings steinio

We (Odin_Spain and me) dont leave the mod, but we need some more time, we are both studying and dont have much time to dev the mod, we do things as we can (today i hope we will upload new version)

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Optimal Energy layouts?

I've been using one or two 5dim modules for some time but I decided to add a couple of the others for my current save.

One of those was the Energy module and I'm now curious as to the optimal layouts for the higher tier boilers, pumps and steam engines.

With vanilla, it's 1 offshore pump > 14 boilers > 10 Steam engines.

With tier 2 boilers, offshore pump and steam engines, I tried the same but under full demand, it seems that the last engines are missing water.

I've not got to tier 3 boilers and steam engines yet, but it'd be handy to know their optimal layouts too.

For both, what pipes should I be using?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

had the same issue.
Now I have a 1 7 5 setup with copper pipes which works but is probably extremely inefficient.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

steinio wrote:Hello,

had the same issue.
Now I have a 1 7 5 setup with copper pipes which works but is probably extremely inefficient.

Greetings steinio
I've done a little bit of testing and looked at the code. As far as I can tell, you require exactly the same amount of Mk2 or Mk3 boilers as you would need of the vanilla boilers. The only difference being that they will consume coal (or whichever other fuel) at 3/4 and half the rate respectively.

Is that accurate?

JohansenTurbo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JohansenTurbo »

Is there a way to disable the inventory icons? I mean the new crafting menu icons that replace the vanilla ones.

After searching through all the modules I found that the core mod was the ones with the pictures. I've tried deleting the pictures in the core mod, removing the mentions of them in the data file, disabling everything in the config, basically everything I can think of. Since I have other mods installed I get the 5dim icons plus the vanilla ones, so either how can I merge or how can I put 5dim into the vanilla icons?

https://imgur.com/HcwljXL

Hunter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hunter »

Optimal Energy layouts?

I've been using one or two 5dim modules for some time but I decided to add a couple of the others for my current save.

One of those was the Energy module and I'm now curious as to the optimal layouts for the higher tier boilers, pumps and steam engines.

With tier 2 boilers, offshore pump and steam engines, I tried the same but under full demand, it seems that the last engines are missing water.

I've not got to tier 3 boilers and steam engines yet, but it'd be handy to know their optimal layouts too.

I did some extensive testing with the energy portions of this mod. I determined that for moving water the vanilla pipes are more effective than the copper or steel pipes due to the fact that the steel and copper pipes tend to fill themselves before trying to send water down to the engines. The tier 3 boilers basically use half of the fuel as vanilla and thats about it. tier 3 water pumps just pump more water. I was able to get the same results with tier 2 and tier 3 boilers and offshore pumps with no real difference. The real issue is the high water consumption of the tier 3 engines. I managed to alleviate this by placing a mark 3 pump every five engines. I could have streched it a bit further but I liked the number. I was able to get as many engines in a row as I wanted with pumps with the only limitation of water supply. I made 6 tanks and used those as a buffer between my boilers and steam engines with MK3 pumps pumping water in from the boilers and out of the tanks to the engines. these tamks were being fed by 6 offshore pumps and boiler setups. not all of the boilers were on all the time so I could have compacted the setup with 12 or so to save on materials. the main flaw of the setup was that if there was a loss of power because of a coal runout or running out of water due to prolonge max power usage it would cascade into you losing the entire line. this was easily alleviated by adding some just enough solar to bootstrap the pumps into feeding the generators to bring them back online. I was able to provide the entire demand of the factory with about 100 MK 3 engines for 3 or four in game days before I ran out of water. TLDR dont use copper or steel pipes EVER!!!! they steal your water. and really big and grand setups are possible if you want to generate gigawats of coal powered energy. I reccomend downloading the test mode mod and trying out a few setups to see what fits your individual needs.

AimMoreBetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AimMoreBetter »

Is there a guide that explains all the new stuff in this mod? In particular what exactly does the masher do? I see that it creates dust from ore which can then be smelted into plate but I don't understand the extra step. It would be nice to have an overview of all the new stuff in these mods as some, especially Bob's, can be very time consuming to learn.

GameCharmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GameCharmer »

AimMoreBetter wrote:Is there a guide that explains all the new stuff in this mod? In particular what exactly does the masher do? I see that it creates dust from ore which can then be smelted into plate but I don't understand the extra step. It would be nice to have an overview of all the new stuff in these mods as some, especially Bob's, can be very time consuming to learn.
Masher's double your return on ore.

w/o masher
1 ore = 1 plate
with masher
1 ore = 2 dust = 2 plates

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Hunter wrote:
Optimal Energy layouts?

I did some extensive testing with the energy portions of this mod. I determined that for moving water the vanilla pipes are more effective than the copper or steel pipes due to the fact that the steel and copper pipes tend to fill themselves before trying to send water down to the engines. The tier 3 boilers basically use half of the fuel as vanilla and thats about it. tier 3 water pumps just pump more water. I was able to get the same results with tier 2 and tier 3 boilers and offshore pumps with no real difference. The real issue is the high water consumption of the tier 3 engines. I managed to alleviate this by placing a mark 3 pump every five engines. I could have streched it a bit further but I liked the number. I was able to get as many engines in a row as I wanted with pumps with the only limitation of water supply. I made 6 tanks and used those as a buffer between my boilers and steam engines with MK3 pumps pumping water in from the boilers and out of the tanks to the engines. these tamks were being fed by 6 offshore pumps and boiler setups. not all of the boilers were on all the time so I could have compacted the setup with 12 or so to save on materials. the main flaw of the setup was that if there was a loss of power because of a coal runout or running out of water due to prolonge max power usage it would cascade into you losing the entire line. this was easily alleviated by adding some just enough solar to bootstrap the pumps into feeding the generators to bring them back online. I was able to provide the entire demand of the factory with about 100 MK 3 engines for 3 or four in game days before I ran out of water. TLDR dont use copper or steel pipes EVER!!!! they steal your water. and really big and grand setups are possible if you want to generate gigawats of coal powered energy. I reccomend downloading the test mode mod and trying out a few setups to see what fits your individual needs.

It sounds like your testing went very similar to mine... It ended up being pointless trying to improve the system as any extra power you got out of the system required small pumps to keep the flow up. For that reason, I gave up trying to do that and just head towards a Nuclear Reactor from MoPower as soon as possible in my games now.

tks_ftw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tks_ftw »

I've noticed the changelog hasn't updated with the past few updates, and was wondering if anyone knew what all had changed in the last couple of updates? I know the devs are busy with other things, but it'd be nice to know instead of fumbling about while playing with the mod again.

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

sooo, anything about the Fact that the 5dim Site just gives 404, so i that can't even Download it?

funnysunnybunny
Inserter
Inserter

Post by funnysunnybunny »

Proxy wrote:sooo, anything about the Fact that the 5dim Site just gives 404, so i that can't even Download it?
You can download some of them from mods.factorio.com now
what I wonder, where would I get a 5dim trains for 0.12 or 0.13? it's not on mods.factorio
and factoriomods.com doesn't have a download page anymore

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

That looks bad 0.14 is out and not even a 0.13 version here.
Is this mod dead?

Does anyone know a electric train mod for 0.14?

DanteDHunter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DanteDHunter »

When mod will be updated for 0.14?

Timjfjdd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Timjfjdd »

please update the mod for 0.14

DanteDHunter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DanteDHunter »

I made unofficial update for myself, if anyone want. Pm me.

Return to “5dim's mod”