Wind! Increase pollution cloud movement in interesting ways

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xycor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Wind! Increase pollution cloud movement in interesting ways

Post by Xycor »

In the games I've played bug attacks are predictable and from the same directions. I defend these directions and often leave the others undefended.

It would make defense more interesting if a wind direction and speed was in effect. Wind could be implemented by changing the pollution spreading function to adjacent tiles.

Imagine having the stress of having a few "calm" days where considerable pollution has accumulated around your base (Similiar to the inversion effect seen in some cities). Then the wind picks up one day and pushes the pollution cloud out into the black map and you have no idea what is going to come at you. I'd expect the wind speed and direction to change once or twice a day. The wind mechanic should result in constantly varied direction, frequency, and strength of attacks.

Maybe the player could even build a windsock for fun.

Please?
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic according to discussion

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Wind! Move pollution cloud in interesting ways

Post by Supercheese »

Uhhhh... the game already has variable wind direction and speed. You can see for yourself in this animation, check the direction of the smoke from the steam engines: http://imgur.com/tm3bKY3

(Animation from Time Lapse mod: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=22759)

Xycor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xycor »

Hmm... This is a bit awkward.

I am happy the mechanic is in the game. Rather than admit I am not observant can I refine my post to request the wind effect be strengthened?

Right now the pollution can dilute in all directions. If there were elevation (which I am not deluded enough to ask for) it would corral the pollution as it hit mountains. I guess I want to see dense masses of pollution pinch off and visibly travel the map.

A per-cell wind vector may have a similar effect, or cold/warm fronts (and for all I know that too is already in the game.) That is harder to implement though.

Great first request post right?! :D

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Xycor isn't totally wrong with this. There isn't any observable effect of wind on pollution distribution.

* In Europe, USA, China we mostly have west wind which means most of the pollution moves east.
* In Factorio you see one big blob of pollution around your base.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wind! Increase pollution cloud movement in interesting ways

Post by ssilk »

I moved this to balancing and change the title a bit.

My opinioin: It is possible, that the wrong - or right - wind (direction, speed) influences a game really strong. And I think, that the wind is currently changing too fast/too often to see any (big) effect. This underlines the OP.

What I also think is, that wind should be more or less predictable. But that is another suggestion.
See also viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342#p133677
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wind! Increase pollution cloud movement in interesting ways

Post by ssilk »

Moved back to suggestions, because of being stupid.

It also has a sister thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102817 Expanding pollution and environmentalism
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”