xp for turrets

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Eulogi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

xp for turrets

Post by Eulogi »

So sometimes one turret is in the magic spot and racks up the kills. How bout letting it level up? If that is too op I think we can all agree that cosmetic only upgrades would be awesome as well.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: xp for turrets

Post by ssilk »

Can you explain, how an electronic circuit should be leveled up without magic?

(and magic is not really matching into Factorio, isn't it? :) )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

boksiora
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boksiora »

I agree that the turrets can get some XP and level

After some level they may be made to use rockets or alternative ammo

Here is some formula

100 kills * current level = new level

each new level = damage + (10% of current damage)

for example

level 1: 100 damage + 10%= 110 damage
level 2: 110 damage +10% = 121 damage

etc...
Last edited by boksiora on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

boksiora
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boksiora »

ssilk wrote:Can you explain, how an electronic circuit should be leveled up without magic?

Even if turrets are not automatically upreared, they can be manually upgradeable by "magic" in the form of alien orbs

Eulogi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eulogi »

ssilk wrote:Can you explain, how an electronic circuit should be leveled up without magic?

wow that's a pretty brutal reply for a feature that is very common in video games. the idea of xp is a total trope but one we are familiar with. we are also talking about interstellar travel and aliens which are both fantasy until proven otherwise so why not have machines that act rpg-ish and give you a sense of immersion in the game, which this is.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

TBH, I don't feel like experience gain for automated killing machines does make sense. I'm extremely familiar with XP gain, progression, ... I could understand a suggestion towards such an experience buff for the caracter (learning, kill after kill, to shoot accurately, to recognize the weak points of alien anatomy, ...).

But giving experience to a structure so that it gains in efficiency as it does its task is totally illogical. Why not buff assembling machines to go faster as they assemble, inserters size to automatically upgrade when they are used a lot, steam engines to produce more depending on how much they have already produced, ... ?

If I were to choose an option, I would do the contrary (by using the argument that everything wears out as it's used, and it should lose efficiency). I won't do so however, because I think it doesn't serve the gameplay.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Eulogi wrote:

wow that's a pretty brutal reply for a feature that is very common in video games.
Uhm? Sorry, I asked a little bit tired and yes, it sounds a bit sarcastic. Sorry.

My (sarcastic) question has the sense to show you the problem I have with this suggestion. :)
And I think Factorio is not common, it's an independent game. I think you should not compare it with a common video game. Whatever that means. :)
the idea of xp is a total trope but one we are familiar with. we are also talking about interstellar travel and aliens which are both fantasy until proven otherwise so why not have machines that act rpg-ish and give you a sense of immersion in the game, which this is.
I understand, that the player could eventually gain XP (experience), and eventually this is a good addition to the game-play, but (again) how should an automated tower do that without negatively influence the game-play?
Or maybe a better question: What is the advantage having this when you play Factorio?

I don't want to be negative. just wait for a good idea or discuss one, that convince me, cause (as you might already read) I'm not very fond about doing things "magically" in Factorio. I love to have a reason (But I'm ok, that it is not always needed, when it is better for the game-play).
TBH my opinion is: When there should be a change (in the damage-power etc.) on the towers, than so, that they loose XP, because they need to be repaired with their usage or so.

And to understand my standpoint read Koub's reply: The target is automation. The simple "magic" is then: More production capacity is better (in case of firepower), so the "XP" you gain is not by killing, but by automated crafting and researching more effective weapons, which is in general just playing Factorio as it is.

Another question (perhaps it helps with this discussion): What is (from the sight of Factorio game-play) the difference between "XP for towers" and assembling the towers with (something like) modules? I mean there are difference, but what is your opinion?

BTW: Assembling towers with modules is already suggested a lot of times. This is not.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Perhaps the alien blood splashing onto the turret reacts with the metals causing the DNA contained in the red blood cells to reconstruct the turret slightly differently. ie, T-virus from Resident Evil causing mutation.

As the turret kills more enemies, more blood splashes on it, more reconstruction occurs.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Koub wrote:TBH, I don't feel like experience gain for automated killing machines does make sense. I'm extremely familiar with XP gain, progression, ... I could understand a suggestion towards such an experience buff for the caracter (learning, kill after kill, to shoot accurately, to recognize the weak points of alien anatomy, ...).
Who's to say the turret doesn't have a simple form of AI, and that AI has to learn too?

Besides, couldn't you call turret damage upgrade research a form of upgrading the AI to deal more critical damage?

I mean, honestly, a Research to make turrets do more damage is about as unrealistic as a turret gaining experience and leveling up (Learning to deal more damage)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I mean with "research", that you invent new turrets that can replace/support existing. Or that you invent new types of modules (something, that can be put into the tower). In other words: no change to existing increase of "XP" and - much more important - a way that works with any entity, not only turrets.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”