Mod Tutorial

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Mod Tutorial

Post by Klonan »

Heyo, i didnt know whether it is better to post here or in the modding discussion.

I have made a simple basic modding tutorial for people who are completely fresh, who just want to add littel things, or get their foot in the door or something. I may make more tutorials about modding, im not sure.

Im really looking for feedback about this tutorial and i am really interested to hear about how helpful it is and any and all ways i can improve.

Factorio - Basic Modding Tutorial - Youtube

Thanks all!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod Tutorial

Post by ssilk »

Very good lesson. Clear concept, nice repetition of the learned, nice searching for errors and presentation at the end
(BTW in my workshops I try always to put in some errors, so that the participants needs to "wake up" and I can see, if they really understand, what they learned).

I would move this to Modding Help, make that there sticky and leave a link here in videos. Better ideas?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ssilk wrote:Very good lesson. Clear concept, nice repetition of the learned, nice searching for errors and presentation at the end
(BTW in my workshops I try always to put in some errors, so that the participants needs to "wake up" and I can see, if they really understand, what they learned).

I would move this to Modding Help, make that there sticky and leave a link here in videos. Better ideas?
Thanks ssilk, I really appriciate your feedback.

I think having it in the modding help would be the most useful place, but i wasn't too sure, i guess people wont look in videos if they need a modding tutorial :P
So your idea is the best way

xiphias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xiphias »

Awsome tutorial Klonan! It seems very easy to follow, and you explain every step, perfect!

I am going to try myself, hope I can make something!

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

Is this for latest 0.12.x Version?

Because many mods are still 0.11 and not ported or dropped (for what ever reason).
Now I want to change localy those parts which must be changed and also, if the orignial
author agrees I want to release the updated mods.

(At this point I wasn't able to finde Advanced Logistic System for 0.12 on factoriomods.com,
can it be added back again? Only found able in the forum.)

Is there also a better IDE such as Notepad++ which can read trought the lua events or other
vanilla lua code like with INTELIJ and PHP (I mean this helpfull window which showas you all
accessible vars, methods, functions, ...).

Hope that smth. in this way is possible to setup :).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Chaos234 wrote:Is this for latest 0.12.x Version?

Because many mods are still 0.11 and not ported or dropped (for what ever reason).
Now I want to change localy those parts which must be changed and also, if the orignial
The tutorial only covers prototype stuff, none of which has been changed from 0.11.x up to the most recent experimental release.

The parts of a mod which need updating are in the control.lua scripting, which has been changed and affected since 0.11 and 0.12.11.

Chaos234
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chaos234 »

Klonan wrote:
Chaos234 wrote:Is this for latest 0.12.x Version?

The tutorial only covers prototype stuff, none of which has been changed from 0.11.x up to the most recent experimental release.

The parts of a mod which need updating are in the control.lua scripting, which has been changed and affected since 0.11 and 0.12.11.
Thats right because many of the old stuff before that versions are causing some nice errors. But not only control.lua has to be edited, there
must also be an updated migration file (if required) which must also follow the new modding api (which I am searching since a while but can't
found a PDF documentation or smth. similar with some demo content).

Well, thanks for your replay. I am going to fix (localy) the other stuff which won't work actually :).

_Skuzzzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _Skuzzzy »

ssilk wrote: (BTW in my workshops I try always to put in some errors, so that the participants needs to "wake up" and I can see, if they really understand, what they learned).
Please never do this. It's annoying when you try to use a workshop as a reference and then this happens. Also you just put uncertainty into the mind of the viewer.

Only make mistakes when you need to demonstrate something that makes sense but you need to shoe the viewer why its wrong.

Krazycat2012
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Krazycat2012 »

Thank you for the great video. But I have on problem. I have version 12.x and when I copied your steps to figure out how to make a mod. The mod will not load and the game gives no error. It simply shuts down. Can you give any help.

Zcoolest
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zcoolest »

[censored]
summary: I can't find the mod folder --daniel34
Attachments
windows 8
windows 8
Untitled.png (96.47 KiB) Viewed 24655 times

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Zcoolest wrote:[censored] summary: I can't find the mod folder --daniel34
Language? You have to start up factorio once, to have it generate the mods folder.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Zcoolest wrote:[censored] summary: I can't find the mod folder --daniel34
Language? You have to start up factorio once, to have it generate the mods folder.
He is also looking in the wrong place (Steam version doesn't have links there).
Mods are stored in %appdata%\Factorio\mods (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Zcoolest
Inserter
Inserter

not same

Post by Zcoolest »

windows 8 differnt all youtube videos for modes factorio are windows 7 or not the steam version
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (96.47 KiB) Viewed 18615 times

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Griiis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Griiis »

Hello!
I'm a new in mod develop and i have a realy big(for me) problem.
How i can create my own building? I know, how create items, recipes, but i dont really understand, how to make my own building. I stack in a part of texture making. Can someone explain me, how it works?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Griiis wrote:Hello!
I'm a new in mod develop and i have a realy big(for me) problem.
How i can create my own building? I know, how create items, recipes, but i dont really understand, how to make my own building. I stack in a part of texture making. Can someone explain me, how it works?
Entities with new name. You can use old pictures, but new name.

Trollbeads
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Trollbeads »

Hello Guys !

I have created an advanced chemical plant and i want to changes the graphis but i dont now how ...
can anybody help ? I have a .png but i dont know what to do with it ... thx

Nathan6721
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nathan6721 »

ive already seen the video... i posted a forum on modding help, the same forum as this, heres an image of the info.json file failing: imgur.com/ixqEc5n
heres my forum: forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37435

Nathan6721
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nathan6721 »

MAKE A 2016 TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Modding help”