Topics and discussion about specific mods
kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.13.x]MagneticFloor 0.1.6

Post by kiba »

Type: Mod
Name: MagneticFloor
Description: Go faster, with magnetic floors.
License: https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
Version: 0.1.6
Release: 2016-09-08
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.14.4
Category: (SimpleExtension)
Tags: tile
Download-Url: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/hackerkiba/MagneticFloor
License
Long description
Version history
Last edited by kiba on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 29 times in total.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x]MagneticFloor-0.0.1

Post by kiba »

Right now, there's really nothing special.

I only copied and pasted over some stuff, rip factorio's art stuff and made the copper floor slightly faster....

Next version will have the hoverboard, which will allow faster travel over magnetic surfaces.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x]MagneticFloor 0.0.2

Post by kiba »

0.0.2 is out!

You too, can zip around on a hoverboard in style! :lol:

The copper flooring is still faster than regular old concrete, but it has a much greater effect if you use a hoverboard.

Finally! I achieved the conceit of this mod, even if it may has...holes. Will plug that later.

Also, the hoverboard cannot be used in areas that are not copper flooring, so you will still need your exoskeleton.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x]MagneticFloor 0.0.3

Post by kiba »

Sorry to disappoint.

I nerfed the hoverboard from 100% movement bonus to 10% and increase size requirement from 1by1 to 3by2. I am evil like that. :twisted:

I also prevented cheating by anybody who tries to add more hoverboards to their equipment grid. You can only use one at a time.

But in return, I add MagneticFloor to the tech tree. Now you'll have to spend science to research both the copper flooring and the hoverboard. I also sorted it into the correct group.

Next..we'll add new floors and upgraded hoverboard to make for my evil twisted ways. :twisted:

Edit:

OH! 0.0.3 is out!

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

No pictures ....?

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Zeblote wrote:No pictures ....?
Added pictures but there isn't much to look at, anyway.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x]MagneticFloor 0.0.4

Post by kiba »

New release!

I added copper floor level 2 to 3, and actually add in proper icons for all of them instead of using copper plate as icon. So, no more confusion!

Copper Floor Level2 gives a 170% movement bonus, and level3 gives an astounding 190% bonus.

BUT! To manufacture them, you'll have to pay an increasingly high price.

For example, copper floor level 2 requires 10 copper plate in addition to the previous level, requiring a total of 15. Level3 is even worse, requiring 20 copper plate and 2 copper floor level 2, requiring 50 copper plates in raw total.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x]MagneticFloor 0.0.4

Post by kiba »

Latest version got the most download except zero comments by anybody, weird.

evilsanta666
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by evilsanta666 »

hey i had to unzip it to get it to work on my linux computer, it couldnt find your info.json file before that???

anyway i tested it out a bit and i like the idea you have going here.
does the hoverboard require one of your magnetic floors to boost speed? it looks like it judging from your control.lua contents
just a thought, it would be cool to make multiple hoverboards that have the increasing speed boosts and the magnetic floors be minimal boost.
that way you still get some boost from better floors but you really need a hoverboard to utilize the magnetic floors for what they seem to be for ;)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

evilsanta666 wrote:hey i had to unzip it to get it to work on my linux computer, it couldnt find your info.json file before that???
Yes, the mod is zipped up the wrong way. In your case the files are directly in the root of the zip, but to make it work the .zip has to contain a folder named MagneticFloor_0.0.4 with the files in it.
You need to zip the mod folder, not the files in it.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

evilsanta666 wrote:hey i had to unzip it to get it to work on my linux computer, it couldnt find your info.json file before that???

anyway i tested it out a bit and i like the idea you have going here.
does the hoverboard require one of your magnetic floors to boost speed? it looks like it judging from your control.lua contents
just a thought, it would be cool to make multiple hoverboards that have the increasing speed boosts and the magnetic floors be minimal boost.
that way you still get some boost from better floors but you really need a hoverboard to utilize the magnetic floors for what they seem to be for ;)
It requires the magnetic floor for the hoverboard to work. Otherwise, it does nothing.

Also, you can't make multiple hoverboard for increased speed boosts. I wrote code explicitly to only allow one hoverboard active at a time.

Magnetic floor are by design even better than concrete, even without the hoverboard. But hoverboard increases your benefit.

Anyway, there will be better hoverboard out there with greater movement bonus. But at this time, I am working on a feature in someone's else mod.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

daniel34 wrote:
Yes, the mod is zipped up the wrong way. In your case the files are directly in the root of the zip, but to make it work the .zip has to contain a folder named MagneticFloor_0.0.4 with the files in it.
You need to zip the mod folder, not the files in it.
My bad.

I took a stab on the zipping of files, but it seemed that it had become a disaster to package the mod. I am doing something obviously wrong here. I could manually zip up the mod files, but I hate doing it manually.

My other problem is that I developed the mod inside the mod directory, which given me an unnecessary complication.

I need some time to work this out.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I spent 20 minutes writing and debugging out a shell script for building and packaging the mod.

It should work. It's also a little bit more convenient for me, as well.

Like factorio, modding is sweet when it's automated.

Download the reuploaded zip and try it out.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

After a long hitaus, I am back working on the next release.

Next release will feature an autonomous mode for the hoverboard user. With some road laying and directives, the autonomous hoverboard mode will allow users to drive to locations, automatically.

The hope and end goal is an end-to-end network of magnetic floors allowing easy navigation of the base autonomous and automatically, taking the tedium out of walking. :D

But be warned, the next release will only contain the simplest barebone system that I can get away with.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Well, what you currently have looks already awesome, gonna try this one out :)

Edit:
Just tested it. It says with everything "unknown key: ...". So there seems to be something amiss with the descriptions.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Yinan wrote:Well, what you currently have looks already awesome, gonna try this one out :)
Mod not very impressive.
Edit:
Just tested it. It says with everything "unknown key: ...". So there seems to be something amiss with the descriptions.
What version are you using?

In other news, I just learned from the API documentation that I can actually.....*GASP* control the movement of the player. :D

This change everything! Except the walking animation stuff, I guess.

Complicated hack of a vehicle system, gone!

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

I'm using version 0.0.4, so the most current one.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Yinan wrote:I'm using version 0.0.4, so the most current one.
OK. Probably a problem with packaging. For next release, I will try to have it fixed.

Otherwise, development is moving REALLLY SLOWLY.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I finally got around to implementing the main features of this mod: automatic hoverboard navigation based on directives when you're in 'active' mode.

Directives are tile which guide your hoverboard around your base, based on what you want to do.

For example, a down tile, will make you turn south, a right tile will make you move west, and so on. An accelerator tile 'charge' up your hoverboard, allowing you to keep moving, though I haven't figured out how to give the player temporary speed boost.

What does this give you? Automated walking sequences to anywhere in your factory where you care to lay your magnetic floors and directives toward.

The drudgery of using your arrow keys or wasd is eliminated. :D

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Fantastic

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “Mods”