Storage Sorting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FFVIIGuru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Storage Sorting

Post by FFVIIGuru »

Hi, new to the boards, had a thought. Active provider chests utilize idle logistic bots to move items to storage, which is cool, but I had a small thought while deconstructing large portions of my base. The logistic system does it's best to isolate each item type in storage, but if there are too few storage chests, sometimes it doubles up item types. Could the logistic system somehow be programmed to sort items into new storage chests after this has happened? i.e. recognizing that a new chest has been built and moving items into it to keep chests 1 item per chest.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Storage Sorting

Post by Ghoulish »

Over time (after you added some more storage) The chests will automatically filter themselves as new items are requested and the storage empties.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

you can add a new set of storage chests and then deconstruct the old ones

The bots will prefer to keep items in the same chests so if there are 2 chests with half a stack of an item it'll join the stacks

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The whole feature of storage chests needs to be completely revisited. :)
- missing integration of personal roboports. E.g. deconstruct a chest with many items: your inventory is full
- missing integration of logistic, when deconstructing: construction bots working and logistic bots are bored.
- not able to set out some storage places in your main base: it could be that the bots put the item into the farest chest and bring you logistic completely out of control.

And more than a handful of other issues.

This resorting is in my eyes just a "nice to have" feature and maybe possible to make a mod out of it...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

In DF you have storage areas on which you can specify

1) filters for certain items / categories
2) links between storage areas, a link x -> y causes items in x to be automatically hauled to y if y will accept them.

The second is already mostly covered by the provider/storage/requester difference, but it would be really nice to be able to specify item type filters on storage chests.

PCSplinter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PCSplinter »

This is actually a problem in my current run with all bobmods. The rebuilding of my entire base for the third time left my logistic chests filled with mess and i would love to see a good management option for storages.

So my suggestion is that one from the settler games. You can allow all goods, block them all or allow some of them. Also you can force to empty the chest. It maybe was a bit slow in settlers, because only some settlers could access the warehouse and move only one good, but with robots the chest will be empty in a flash :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

ssilk wrote:The whole feature of storage chests needs to be completely revisited. :)
there is another thread about not only revisiting storage chests, but a Concept - Rework of the Logistic Chests, and the storage chests are part of it (eg giving them slots to reserve space for some item types or amounts), although a few details (like which chests to use when deconstructing with personal roboports) were not mentioned yet. Maybe that concept can be extended to also handle (some of) the problems mentioned here ...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”