Topics and discussion about specific mods
BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Rescaled Evolution Factor

Post by BenediktMagnus »

Rescaled Evolution Factor

Description:
Overwrites the existing evolution factor system with a more dynamic and interactive one.

Details:
  • Factorio Version: 0.12.12+
  • Latest version: 1.3.1
  • Released: April 26th 2016 (First: March 10th 2016)
  • License: The MIT License (You can find it here!)
  • Tags: Evolution Factor, enemy strength, pollution
  • Author: Benedikt Magnus
Download:
Download from GitHub
Rescaled-Evolution-Factor_1.3.1.zip
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
Long Description
Examples
Future plans
Testing Version
Changelog
Previous Versions
Last edited by BenediktMagnus on Sat May 21, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Rescaled Evolution Factor

Post by Koub »

This is the way (or alike) I want the evolution factor to work in vanilla :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

Thank you, Koub!

The evolution factor in vanilla is very... boring and how it works is unexspected. But that's why I made this mod!

New version! Three little changes I hope you all enjoy!

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Excellent idea for a mod. Unfortunately it freaked out a bit on me.

Started a new game and was placed in a large badlands area. Built a few dozen burner miners and furnaces and after less than a hour evolution was at 30% (!) all from pollution. I had only just started researching and still only had pistol and maybe 20 mags when I got hit with biters. The GUI showed something like 150k pollution.
I have a few mods:
Scalar
RSO
Rail Tanker
Ammo Box
Flow Control
KS Power
Modular Armor Revamp

I think that is about it. Scalar slightly modifies evolution, but I think it only changes the time one and doesn't touch pollution.

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

Thank you for your feedback! I hoped to get some feedback concerning balancing.

The evolution factor is (after a minimum of development) increasing faster than it does later in the game. Maybe too fast. I will rebalance that.

EDIT: Did it. Should be better for you now (feedback would be cool).

FirroSeranel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FirroSeranel »

Excellent mod! It makes soooo much more sense than vanilla.

It never made sense to me why, just because I arrived on planet, the bugs would suddenly "evolve" in a matter of weeks, more than they presumably had in millions of years.

Now it's more like... over time they learn that you're there. Then as you destroy their nests, it leaves pheromone signatures that enrage them... but all of that pales in comparison to how much pollution pisses them off.

It does create quite a nasty difficulty hump during the transition from early to mid game (before you can get Efficiency module and/or air filter production going).

Basically, I hit over 50% evolution, mostly through pollution, just barely managing to fend off wave after wave of -very- tough enemies, before I got efficiency modules in my miners, and slowly lowered it back down to around 15%.

To be fair though, I'm using Natural Evolution's enemies and enemy spread algorithms. I just turned off its evolution algorithms, to use yours instead. Natural Evolution enemies at 30%-50% are much tougher than almost anything in vanilla, about equivalent to 90% evolution in vanilla I'd say. I did make it through, but just barely.

Edit: Ah, I see you rebalanced it from an exponential formula, to a linear one. That should be much better.

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

FirroSeranel wrote: Excellent mod! It makes soooo much more sense than vanilla.
Thank you!
FirroSeranel wrote: Now it's more like... over time they learn that you're there. Then as you destroy their nests, it leaves pheromone signatures that enrage them... but all of that pales in comparison to how much pollution pisses them off.
Really good description for my thoughts when I created this mod! ^^
FirroSeranel wrote: It does create quite a nasty difficulty hump during the transition from early to mid game (before you can get Efficiency module and/or air filter production going).
[...]
Edit: Ah, I see you rebalanced it from an exponential formula, to a linear one. That should be much better.
Yes, that's true. My intention was to increase it faster at the mid game and stabilise it at the end. There should be more time until the behemots come, in late game it should not decrease too much and if you have modules you should be able to controle the evolution factor easier.
The formula was exponential because I thought there should be more "reaction" if you increase the pollution from 0 to 100,000 than from 500,000 to 600,000. This is the same reason why I put the explored chunks into the formula. If you have a giant factory with a lot of pollution and settle a huge area the evolution factor should react in a different way than it does when you are a single man with a pickaxe and a furnance in the wild nature.
But I think it is better now, too.

For all of you: If you have ideas, feedback or remarks, say me! You can write it here in this thread, send me a PM or make a pull request on GitHub. I am happy about every opinion!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

How does the change from square to linear cause that stat to have less impact in the early game? Surely it'd be the other way around?

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

I mean square root. Didn't see that could be not clear. Changed this. Thanks for asking!

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

Can I use this in an already existing world?
Will it rebalance my Evolution factor?

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

Yes you can use it in an existing world. It will work exactly like it would in a new one. And you could even remove it every time if you wanted to. It will NOT break the game.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

BenediktMagnus wrote:Yes you can use it in an existing world. It will work exactly like it would in a new one. And you could even remove it every time if you wanted to. It will NOT break the game.
Cool thanks man :)

Dom_Drops_Bombs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dom_Drops_Bombs »

:?: Question, I installed this super late game and had already destroyed multiple bases and alot of time has passed by. So when I installed the mod, would it count the nests I've already destroyed and the time passed before the mod was installed?

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

No, it will not. It will only count new nests and decrease them with the time passes after installation. There is now migration feature (yet).

bam13302
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bam13302 »

As far as balance goes, I agree this seems to hit hardest mid game, perhaps put more weight on time and bases killed and less on pollution (especially since pollution already causes them to attack).

Story:
Mid game was trying to get my first expansion and was at about 60% evolution factor, didn't have the resources to make (enough) solar panels yet. Had to shut down basically my entire factory and let my pollution die down so i could expand. Now, i am in late game, running on a full solar panel farm, got about 50% evolution factor with close to %5 in time and a capped %20 in destroyed bases, pollution is minimal and the game is super easy, rolling through massive enemy bases without problem.
Time should probably scale quicker and higher, and destroyed bases feels like it should carry more weight as well.
perhaps 15% time, 30% bases, 55% pollution, makes having high pollution mid game not as deadly as long as you having not gone out killing, and actually makes the evolution from time something to consider.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

bam13302 wrote:As far as balance goes, I agree this seems to hit hardest mid game, perhaps put more weight on time and bases killed and less on pollution (especially since pollution already causes them to attack).

Story:
Mid game was trying to get my first expansion and was at about 60% evolution factor, didn't have the resources to make (enough) solar panels yet. Had to shut down basically my entire factory and let my pollution die down so i could expand. Now, i am in late game, running on a full solar panel farm, got about 50% evolution factor with close to %5 in time and a capped %20 in destroyed bases, pollution is minimal and the game is super easy, rolling through massive enemy bases without problem.
Time should probably scale quicker and higher, and destroyed bases feels like it should carry more weight as well.
perhaps 15% time, 30% bases, 55% pollution, makes having high pollution mid game not as deadly as long as you having not gone out killing, and actually makes the evolution from time something to consider.
I agree with this post since I am using 5dim's Mod and Air Filtering and reducing my pollution is quite easy :)

I would love a more hardcore version for the people who play modded but still want a challenge.

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

@bam13302:
Thank you for your feedback, especially for your story.
I thought about your suggestion for a while and basically you are right (your experiences are very valuable). That's why I changed the formula again. But with an extra.
Becaus of you (and because of the others who gave feedback, thanks to all of you a lot for that!) I had an idea to make the mid game a bit easier and the late game a bit heavier.
Thats why I changed the time formula from linear to exponential (square) and increased the maximum count of destroyed spawners (to reach the maximum evolution factor for it) from 50 to 60.
In 1.3 it will be like follow:
20% time (at 24 hours past), 30% destroyed spawners (at 60 destroyed spawners) and 50% pollution (like its formula).

@Murlocking:
Thanks for feedback!
Is it better now or would you still have another suggestion?

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Could you please tell me how to see what the current evolution factor is?

The wiki states that you have to type this:

Code: Select all

game.player.print(game.evolution_factor)
I press the ` key (the key that also has the ~) to get a command prompt en then paste the command there.
Unfortunately, nothing seems to happen when I do that.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You need to prefix it with /c to make it work.
And use local_player instead of player possibly - makes it work in single or multiplayer.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Yes! That worked.

Sorry for being ignorant, but isn't the evolution factor in multi-player the same for every player?!? I thought it had to do with the map, not the player.

Return to “Mods”