Friday Facts #131 - Roadmap shuffle

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #131 - Roadmap shuffle

Post by Escadin »

So if you know a good C++ programmer
I'm just only about to start my "Performance programming in C++" course but man would I have loved to join you! :(
Guess I can start modding the shit out of this game in the meantime...
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Chaoseed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chaoseed »

Underground pipes and belts can also be built the same way as poles in 0.13:
...Wait, what? What does that mean? Electric poles? You have to place electric poles one at a time, right?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Do people not read the tips that pop up at the beginning? I'm pretty sure placing poles was one of them :D

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

I like a lot of what I've read in this update, but there's one thing I'm curious about.

Will trains be able to make decisions about which stations to visit without the player having to manually assign all of them? IE, if I want my trains to ship iron, can I tell them to visit stations that have a surplus of iron and then ship it to stations with a deficit without having to explicitly assign all of my iron-producing and consuming stations to their schedule?

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

Looking forward to it!

Also my best guess regarding why fluid wagon tanks won't appear in .13 are that the devs want to do them much better than the mod(s).
like:
*Able to show liquids without mouse hover. (just like with the stationary ones)
*Have a better way to refill/empty than just placing electric pump near the tracks (Like an actual liquid off/on-load station-thingy)
*Different graphical colors on the wagons dependent of things like content.
*The wagon being an actual moving thing, and not just a stationary liquid tank that teleports onto the same spot as the wagon.
*Graphically different than the usual wagons.
*New cool features. (filters, combinator logic etc)
*Bug testing (so they work as intended upon release)

So it's not just as simple as to just add them to the base game cause mods exists with them already. The devs will do them better and more integrated than the mods have! :)

Creat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Creat »

Great FF again, getting more and more impatient about 0.13...

I do have a comment about the achievement-icons though: I assume that the framing is copper, silver and gold. But copper and gold are way too similar. If you only saw the copper icon by itself (not next to the gold one), it would be hard to to tell if it was actually copper or gold.
So I hope you revise the circle-colors a bit, but nevertheless they are looking great, can't wait to earn them :)

And "Native mod portal integration" is probably the single best item in the that list of awesomeness. I really want to be able to subscribe to my mods so they're always updated. Wherther it's via steam workshop or another way (that works with the noDRM client) doesn't matter to me.
I do hope I'll be able to subscribe to a long list of mods that are kept updated and that I still can decide which mods to enable in game independently. Keeping my mods updated has turned into quite a bit of effort, even though it hasn't quite reached Kerbal-Space-Program-Levels (thank GOD for CKAN) it's still half an hour every couple of days (or weeks)...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

provet wrote:Looking forward to it!

Also my best guess regarding why fluid wagon tanks won't appear in .13 are that the devs want to do them much better than the mod(s).
like:
*Able to show liquids without mouse hover. (just like with the stationary ones)
*Have a better way to refill/empty than just placing electric pump near the tracks (Like an actual liquid off/on-load station-thingy)
*Different graphical colors on the wagons dependent of things like content.
*The wagon being an actual moving thing, and not just a stationary liquid tank that teleports onto the same spot as the wagon.
*Graphically different than the usual wagons.
*New cool features. (filters, combinator logic etc)
*Bug testing (so they work as intended upon release)

So it's not just as simple as to just add them to the base game cause mods exists with them already. The devs will do them better and more integrated than the mods have! :)
Indeed. Also graphics - there's only 2 graphics guys and they have limited time to draw models :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

Don't wanna be a party pooper but.. No Endgame incentives on the horizon even huh? :/ goddamnit. I mean, Quality of Life improvements as well as bugfixes are really important, but I'd love if they don't forget the people who like to spend the most time with the game. So many awesome ideas and things in their heads a year ago and now....oh well, gotta stay patient I guess. :) at least we still have modding for now!

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Creat wrote:Great FF again, getting more and more impatient about 0.13...

I do have a comment about the achievement-icons though: I assume that the framing is copper, silver and gold. But copper and gold are way too similar. If you only saw the copper icon by itself (not next to the gold one), it would be hard to to tell if it was actually copper or gold.
So I hope you revise the circle-colors a bit, but nevertheless they are looking great, can't wait to earn them :)

And "Native mod portal integration" is probably the single best item in the that list of awesomeness. I really want to be able to subscribe to my mods so they're always updated. Wherther it's via steam workshop or another way (that works with the noDRM client) doesn't matter to me.
I do hope I'll be able to subscribe to a long list of mods that are kept updated and that I still can decide which mods to enable in game independently. Keeping my mods updated has turned into quite a bit of effort, even though it hasn't quite reached Kerbal-Space-Program-Levels (thank GOD for CKAN) it's still half an hour every couple of days (or weeks)...
Yeah instead of silver and gold it should be coal, iron plate and copper plate :P

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

Oh no! Why so late? Around the 1. June i go to the matrix forever (my Oculus Rift arrives) 8-) . I don't know if i play 2D games anymore :?

Ekelbatzen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ekelbatzen »

Isn't "graphical gui" kind of redundant? It would stand for "graphical graphical user interface" then.
But otherwise, good news :)
Specs: 3770k, 16GB DDR3, 1060, Win10 x64, latest experimental via Steam

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

lancar wrote
That's exactly what I felt too : even made a post some time ago here : viewtopic.php?p=126047#p126047
I'm glad I'm ntot the only one who prefered the quite schematic previous tech icons to the new fancy but overloaded research icons.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

madpav3l wrote:I am looking forward to this
Graphical gui redesign - one of the big things that just had to be done sooner or later, we will definitely talk about it in detail in the future FFF
All the other things were revealed already except the "Ease of use", but this is something new and exciting!
Me too actually, never mentioned this when I posted before. I was a little worried that the devs were going to put off big UI changes until later in the development cycle, focusing on content or bugs more. I'm most happy the update is incoming as I was never overly keen on the Windows 95 look.

Epic update all round.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Venatos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Venatos »

3 of the 4 postponed things allready exist, there is virtualy no work for you involved to implement them.
not sure how you plan to alter the cargowagon length without changeing the viewing angle tbh.....
realy hope you get reinforcements soon, with the behind the scenes optimisations and multiplayer takeing up so much time, there hasent realy been a lot new toys for actualy playing the game these last years....

edvardm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by edvardm »

hauk70 wrote:Seriously why fluid wagon pushed back? I do not understand what could be so complicated? as for me much more difficult spider.
I have to agree with devs; especially as there is already a mod for fluid wagon, it does not need to be that high priority. Given it works, have not tried. I usually use barrels to deal with that issue.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Ekelbatzen wrote:Isn't "graphical gui" kind of redundant? It would stand for "graphical graphical user interface" then.
But otherwise, good news :)
I guess it means "graphics update for the gui", as in they're changing the look?

Mikrotherion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mikrotherion »

Ah. nice. I'm really curious about the train additions, since trains are great once they work, but a PITA to get to work properly, especially in larger bases. And without the FARL mod.. no, I don't want to think about that. :D

Sending all programmers I know your way, although they already have jobs, so probably no use to you.

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

Why don't you take the Minecraft route? What I mean by that is you should have some snapshots where only some of the features of the update are implemented. That we can enjoy the new features (the ones that are nearly finished) and also test them, while you are working on the rest. Of course these snapshots would not be the default update, but only for people who want experimental builds.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

indjev99 wrote:Why don't you take the Minecraft route? What I mean by that is you should have some snapshots where only some of the features of the update are implemented. That we can enjoy the new features (the ones that are nearly finished) and also test them, while you are working on the rest. Of course these snapshots would not be the default update, but only for people who want experimental builds.
But that's exactly what they are doing :o the 0.13 will be experimental versions for those that want to checkout the new features... when 0.12 came out the stable version was 0.11.22 and if you didn't want to experience the bugs/problems/desyncs you used that ad didn't mark "experimental versions update"... :!:
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

Koub wrote:
lancar wrote
That's exactly what I felt too : even made a post some time ago here : viewtopic.php?p=126047#p126047
I'm glad I'm ntot the only one who prefered the quite schematic previous tech icons to the new fancy but overloaded research icons.
I agree, the icons should be icons, not photo-realistic pictures. The purpose of icons is that they should simplify the object in a way that it is really easy to understand. When I was playing, the research was quite confusing. Later you get used to it but you still mostly read the text description to decide what to research. My suggestions instead of labels would be to have four filters in the top part of the window for all science packs, so one could easily display which techs can be researched with the currently produced science packs.

Sadly this is not only the problem of icons but the general graphics problem of Factorio. Everything is very gray, looking very similar, which makes the game very hard to understand. Players will get used to it but the graphics remains very ugly. When I was playing a few month ago again, I was showing it to several friends who were visiting me, and the first reaction always was: "the graphics looks very ugly". And since Factorio's graphics has many sprites, we cannot even hope for customs skins which would change it (as in say Minecraft). It is really funny that the replacement graphics in the oldest versions of Factorio was much more understandable (but quite ugly).

Btw. since Factorio is suppose to be about automation, will someone after years finally remove the "bug" that blueprints disappear after some time. It is fucking annoying when you can't set up some project and let the robots to build it for two three hours. There is absolutely no reason for blueprints to disappear ever, so why to have this functionality there at all? When some part of the factory gets demolished, I really want to have ghosts there so that they will be rebuild or at least I know what was there. Why should they disappear?

Return to “News”