Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!) ☸

These are only lists of links to other suggestions!
First, do a search for if your idea has been already suggested.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

How annoying is beeing killed by the train for you? How much are you annoyed to care for the train?

1 Want more. You have to look like in real life and this is really fun. :)
23%
2 Keep it the same. This is fun when the train comes deadly close and I have the autosave.
42%
3 Want some help. I think it's unfair to be killed without warning. (e. g. signals before crossing rails)
25%
4 Don't want to die. I really don't like it as it is now, cause I loose up to two minutes of the game.
3%
5 Train should halt for me. For me the biters are enough. Train needs to be save! :(
4%
6 I never played with trains or haven't been killed by train yet. (you can change opinion)
2%

Total votes: 248

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!) ☸

Post by FalcoGer »

I guess you can build a convoluted system with the pressure plate mod and the smart belt mod that includes rail signals that are switchable by logic wire...
Then again, there should be a way to manage railways. I mean this guy can build rocket silos, laser turrets and oil refineries. What's the problem building a bridge over a railway?

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

All you need: train horns and whistleboards
Whistleboards are placed next to the track, like signals. When the train passes a whistleboard, it sounds its horn. Since trains travel very fast, the horn needs to be audible from a lot farther away than most other in-game sounds. Then it's up to the player to place whistleboards in the appropriate place so that they have warning of a train coming when crossing the tracks. Also if you really want the danger of being run over, you don't have to place them!
alternatively... the "train horn zone" is also a good idea. But it could be made an alert, so that even if you have the sound off you will still be aware. I prefer the whistleboards though, because a train horn zone begs the question: How does the train sense you?

Nividica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nividica »

While I too would like a clever game mechanic added to aid with knowing when a train is fast approaching, I would also appreciate a slight change to the debug option "show_train_braking_distance" to use in the interim.

Currently it places a red dot on the track indicating how far it would take the train to stop:

What I would like is an indicator drawn from the train to said stopping point, such as:

The reason behind my suggestion is that the red dot isn't quite eye catching enough, and worse is that depending on zoom and the trains speed, both it and the train could be off-screen on opposite sides of the viewable area. Depending on the graphic used, the 'line' drawn between the train and its braking point could serve as a clear indication that a train is coming, and crossing here would put you in immediate danger.

Lukea153
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lukea153 »

One thing about Factorio is player deaths are very melodramatic. (You get immediately brought to a "You have been defeated" message).

Why not make getting hit by a train look like getting hit by a train, giving the game a few seconds before the message pops up, and in
those few seconds have an animation play of the character getting crushed and sucked under the tracks.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Lukea153 wrote:One thing about Factorio is player deaths are very melodramatic. (You get immediately brought to a "You have been defeated" message).
Just FYI, this is the opposite of melodramatic.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As you see in the latest FFF there are some achiievements that will come with 0.13. One of that icons is looking like an achievement for nearly being killed by train. Ok, I'm not quite sure.
I mean 3rd row, 3rd column:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

IIIStrife
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IIIStrife »

That's probly an achievement for being killed by a train.

Also I love how the 2nd poll option sounds innocently sarcastic. xD Same with the 3rd.
I love dying and losing 2 minutes of my life I'll easily spend without knowing in this game. It's sarcastic in one way or another, and it's brilliant IMO.

jameinel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jameinel »

The train is a lot more serious in multiplayer because when you die you lose all of your items. Which can be rather significant. (I just got enough X to go craft power armor, let me go back to base.... splat)

And while I fully support the splatting aspect of single player, where at most I lose 2 min of effort, rebuilding from scratch all the items you're carrying is often >> 2 minutes. (power armor MK2 with full mods alone.)

The other main problem I have is that in real life, you don't ever have people walking where trains can go. You can build walls/fences and most importantly bridges to cross the train tracks at safe locations. Maybe if there was a way to make an underground train section (which would be cool enough anyway), and then make it easier to be careful. (it would take a *lot* of stone to line your railways with walls, maybe some sort of cheaper fence system so that you can keep your foolish fingers from putting you in harms way.)

I don't suggest getting rid of it, as it has lead to some memorable moments. (jumped off the train just before it reached the station, and got splattered). But IMO in multiplayer the cost of getting hit is a bit too high. I suppose if you could go back to your remains and get some of your items back.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

jameinel wrote:The train is a lot more serious in multiplayer because when you die you lose all of your items. Which can be rather significant. (I just got enough X to go craft power armor, let me go back to base.... splat)

And while I fully support the splatting aspect of single player, where at most I lose 2 min of effort, rebuilding from scratch all the items you're carrying is often >> 2 minutes. (power armor MK2 with full mods alone.)
As already said some times in this thread - there are mods, like the gravestone mod (viewtopic.php?f=92&t=14107), that can help a lot with that.

And I think I can say it is consent in the community that something like this is a must have in the vanilla - and as you already mentioned - especially in multiplayer. So I'm sure it will sooner or later come into vanilla. :)
The other main problem I have is that in real life, you don't ever have people walking where trains can go. You can build walls/fences and most importantly bridges to cross the train tracks at safe locations. Maybe if there was a way to make an underground train section (which would be cool enough anyway), and then make it easier to be careful. (it would take a *lot* of stone to line your railways with walls, maybe some sort of cheaper fence system so that you can keep your foolish fingers from putting you in harms way.)
Well, in the real world it is surely useful to build fences, dig tunnels etc. There are also players that do protect their train with walls completely (but more to protect the track from the natives, than himself :) ).
In my eyes protecting the player from his own creations is a bit ridiculous. He is the only person on the planet. Who other than himself could be hurt? (besides the biters of course :) ) Who other than the player knows better, where a train is eventually running through?
And ok, if someone runs the 10th time into a train give the players tools/items in the hand, let them build fences, let them build tunnels, build bridges, but not as the only sense of such tools.

This changes of course if we speak from multiplayer. But also here: Why should I protect the others from my creations?

The "real stuff" begins in my eyes, where there would be colonists on the planet. I think to Rollercoaster Tycoon, where people could get lost in the park if you didn't build fences (or was it in the predecessor?).

But a colonization would change of course everything! :)

jameinel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jameinel »

ssilk wrote: In my eyes protecting the player from his own creations is a bit ridiculous. He is the only person on the planet. Who other than himself could be hurt? (besides the biters of course :) ) Who other than the player knows better, where a train is eventually running through?
And ok, if someone runs the 10th time into a train give the players tools/items in the hand, let them build fences, let them build tunnels, build bridges, but not as the only sense of such tools.
If I have 5 trains all running autonomously, while I know where they go, I have no idea where they are. Yes, I can look on the map, but if I'm building (especially while expanding the railroad), I'm pretty focused on that, not on keeping track of lots of moving pieces.

I suppose an alternative would be if the player would trigger the rail signals, thus giving you a cross walk. So if you stand on the rails, the trains will slow down for you.

I think something like Gravestone is a very decent compromise.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I think for such cases you should be able to build "slowdown signals". They could be the same signals in viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21899 - the signals that add points to the pathfinder. Because if you want to slow down a train it makes sense, that the train avoids that area. And vice versa: If you want a train to avoid an area, it makes sense, that he slows down there, because normally there is no train here.

But that must be done of course before you begin to build your stuff near rails. And believe me (or not): After dying the 10th time you really get used, not to walk on the rails in whatever situation. :)

chipotng
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chipotng »

I was killed countless times by trains while expanding my Network. As for now i do it like in real live. I reroute my trains before i expand or i just delete pieces of railroad so I have a save piece of Track where train cannot enter. So im protected.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I recently was also killed by train and thought the same: How stupid to build tracks on a route, where really (!) every tenth second a train goes trough (a map with over 250 trains and 3 tracks in parallel).

In combination with the above idea that would be a sign with speed-limit of 0 (or very, very slow) and trains would totally avoid that.

In combination with new circuit network it would be possible to change the signal: A sensor measures, that the character is entering an area and the signal will be switched to "0".

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by henke37 »

With the recent work on adding equipment grids to trains there is a new solution: an optional module that acts as the discussed horn. Neglect to install it and things remain dangerous. But it's also a small challenge to remember to install it. It also becomes a trade off, safety vs material and time consumption.

As for the idea of automatically stopping trains, how about a personal transponder that will mark the block as taken. Again, not free. And by making it an armor module it's not too easy to get.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Fun dying, when you just had built something from a grand idea.

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

I would like to have the screen flash when the player is in danger of being hit by an incoming train.

The flash would be similar to when the player takes damage, but instead of red, it could be yellow, orange, or even blue.

The technology already exists

- the engine knows its path which can be seen by hovering over the engine
- the screen flash exists

all that is needed is a check to see if the player is within the known path of the train.

thanks,
jon

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

hyspeed wrote:I would like to have the screen flash when the player is in danger of being hit by an incoming train.
The screen flash isn't needed because trains are pretty smart and if you don't stand on tracks they will NEVER hit you. And factorio allows you to build and wire up safe railroad crossings.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

im sorry for grabbing out this old vote ;)

TRAINS SHOULD KILL YOU.

!!! its a game !! everything should kill you!!!

what about those/these :

- what about OXYGEN? why on earth is oxygen on everymap ? ...
- theres no !quicksand! walking throug the desert and you are not get killed by Heat?
- you cannot walk thoug water!? different deeps layers? you cannot die swimming!?
- Smog, breathing should not be a problem with correct armory/technik . you cannot die standing close to your refinery?

in this game your ways to die is so reduced
- Biters/mobs
- trains
- missing skills driving/handgranades/fire
- PvP

help to figure out more ways to get died more ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

May I interrupt you? :)
That are new ideas. This is just about the trains, cause being killed by them is (still) "special".

You can of course create a new thread about more ideas to be killed. :)

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

Dont forget the soundbox in 0.15 that can easily be connected to rail signal and act as the horn that some people wants. ;)

Return to “Frequently Suggested / Link Collections”