The world wakes up to Factorio

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

The world wakes up to Factorio

Post by Gregorovitch »

http://steamspy.com/app/427520

It's almost enough to curb your cycnicism and beleive that a truly great game *will* rise to the top no matter how humble it's beginnings.

Especially when you see it persistently outselling the likes of Rise of the Tomb Raider, XCOM2 and Fallout 4 on the best seller list. /*tear falls from left eye*/

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The world wakes up to Factorio

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

This thing is considered "casual"???

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:This thing is considered "casual"???
Yeah, what? I literally only recommend this to my more hardcore gamer friends. The learning curve is in no way shallow.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

I guess it's just depending on your definition.

I would call it "casual" because it can be played slowly, you can let the game run for 2 minutes while grabbing a drink for example. Like civ5, it's complex but slow-paced.

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

mooklepticon wrote:The learning curve is in no way shallow.
I can't debate with that - it's pretty steep. But not too long. I admit, once a player gets the basics, more advanced concepts look intimidating. But I don't think it takes too much fiddling with specific systems (fluids, trains, logistics) until they make sense. Hell, even circuitry or combinators aren't too tough if you only aim for basic functions and not try to recreate Super Mario Bros on a led screen.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

TN_Creator wrote:I guess it's just depending on your definition.

I would call it "casual" because it can be played slowly, you can let the game run for 2 minutes while grabbing a drink for example. Like civ5, it's complex but slow-paced.
To me, casual requires no learning curve to pick up and can be put down and resumed very easily. Candy Crush, Tetris, etc. It takes 15 seconds to explain the whole of those games. They can be stopped and resumed easily.

Factorio is not either of those, IMO.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is causal, as you can be efficient but you don't really have to, you can take your time to build anything.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

kovarex wrote:It is causal, as you can be efficient but you don't really have to, you can take your time to build anything.
That's flexible gameplay. You need to understand a lot and it only gets more complex as you go. The game is in no way casual.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

kovarex wrote:It is causal, as you can be efficient but you don't really have to, you can take your time to build anything.
yeah this pretty much, x3games is fairly hardcore and at leasts requires a day to learn and play. I guess it depends on your definition of casual and your exposure to harder games.

Return to “General discussion”