Steam Sync fucks internet connection

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
my_d00m
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Steam Sync fucks internet connection

Post by my_d00m »

I bought the game about a week ago on Steam and am really enjoying it.
However, every time I close the game and the sync (with I assume Steam cloud) starts, every other internet related thing gets fucked with, i.e. either being REALLY slow or not even responding at all. On top, that sync takes a pretty long time, so this condition lasts at least for about a whole minute.

Any ideas?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Steam Sync fucks internet connection

Post by Klonan »

my_d00m wrote: Any ideas?
You can disable steam cloud save syncing

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

buying from Steam is a bad idea in first place...

Phribos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phribos »

brunzenstein wrote:buying from Steam is a bad idea in first place...
Answers like this do not help solving the problem.
"if speed one day kills me don't be sad because i was smiling"
Paul Walker

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Phribos wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:buying from Steam is a bad idea in first place...
Answers like this do not help solving the problem.

They do.
As the demonstrate to the would-be-buyer from where to buy best. Directly.
Secondly one can always talk to the developers and ask for a direct download after having provided a legal steam key. At least I hope so.
Last edited by brunzenstein on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Steam let's you throttle downloads but apparently not uploads. Maxing out your upstream will make the pc feel that way. If you don't intend to resume games on a different pc, go into your library, right click factorio, hit properties, then updates. You can turn off sync there.

Hakusho
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hakusho »

You could use a tool to limit steams bandwith if you want to keep the savegames in the cloud and want to install additional software to handle the upload.
Not sure if it is worth it...

my_d00m
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by my_d00m »

roy7 wrote:Steam let's you throttle downloads but apparently not uploads. Maxing out your upstream will make the pc feel that way. If you don't intend to resume games on a different pc, go into your library, right click factorio, hit properties, then updates. You can turn off sync there.
That's what I thought about too. My upload connection is pretty poor, so that's probably it. But are Factorio's safegames that big? I never experienced this with any other game.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

my_d00m wrote:... That's what I thought about too. My upload connection is pretty poor, so that's probably it. But are Factorio's safegames that big? I never experienced this with any other game.
The save size depends on how much you've explored and how much you've built. Also most games don't sync save files through steam that I know of.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Scottathew
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scottathew »

This is an issue for me too. To be clear, this isn't a Factorio issue, but rather a Steam issue. Steam doesn't have a way to limit cloud sync upload speeds. This causes two issues for me:

1) Upon closing Factorio most of my upload bandwidth is utilized by cloud sync, 1-5 minutes depending on the size of the save. This causes internet slowness and issues with video conferencing. I have to make sure that both I and my wife aren't on a conference call when I close Factorio.
2) Upon closing Factorio I'm unable to open up another steam game until AFTER the cloud sync finishes. Often times I quit Factorio and want to switch over to Counter Strike Source. However, I have to wait 1-5 minutes for the cloud sync to finish.

I think another issue is that it probably cloud syncs the auto-saves. So each time you close you're cloud syncing your save plus three auto saves.

I've just turned off cloud sync for now. I'll probably turn it back on when the wife starts working in the office again.

This is 100% a huge gap that is in Steam, not Factorio.
Last edited by Scottathew on Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Saves can sometimes go up to like 100 megabytes, which could take quite a long time to upload to Steam cloud on a slower connection, especially with the autosaves. My biggest worlds are around 80 MB, for some reason the tower defense scenario saves are reaching 200 MB.

I've disabled Steam sync since it once overwrote 10h of progress on one of my worlds without my explicit permission and has caused problems with other games too.

Return to “Technical Help”