Topics and discussion about specific mods
GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12, 0.13, 0.14, 0.15, 0.16] Flare Stack

Post by GotLag »

Type: Mod
Name: Flare Stack
Description: Adds a flare stack, gas vent and incinerator to remove unwanted gases, fluids and items.
License: No rights reserved
Version: 1.2.0
Release: 2016-04-29
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.30
Category: SimpleExtension
Download: Mod Portal
Flare Stack_2.0.0.zip
Factorio 0.13
(521.55 KiB) Downloaded 1864 times
Flare Stack_1.2.0.zip
Factorio 0.12
(521.57 KiB) Downloaded 3200 times
Older Versions

Localisations
English, 日本語, Русский
License
Description

If you need more light, more pollution, and less oil, this is the mod for you! Burn off oil (and oil products) because you can, or because your production is backed up. Works very nicely with overflow valves from my Flow Control mod.
Simply rotate and place the stack to connect to your pipe/tank/valve, and bask in the sooty orange glow.
From left to right: a gas vent, venting nitrogen; a flare stack burning light oil; an incinerator destroying sulfuric acid; and an incinerator destroying stone
Alt Overlay
The flare stack (orange collar) burns flammable liquids and gases for a minimal energy cost (1 kW), produces 8 pollution and is unlocked by researching Oil processing.

The gas vent (white collar) has no use in vanilla Factorio but provides a way to dispose of unwanted gases such as hydrogen and nitrogen in Bob's mods or N.Tech Chemistry. it consumes 1 kW while venting and produces 16 pollution. Gas sprite based on AlNeaera's work.

The incinerator (black collar) destroys any item placed into it, in half a second. One coal provides enough power to burn 10 items, 1 solid fuel disposes of 32. When burning liquids, it destroys 0.5 units per operation. The incinerator produces 32 pollution while operating. There is also an electric version, which consumes 800 kW in operation.
Fluid list
Version history
Known Issues

A fast inserter feeding items from a mixed belt to an incinerator will jam. This appears to be caused by the incinerator not updating its internal recipe upon completing an operation as the output inventory never changes (nothing is produced). A basic inserter is slow enough that this does not happen, so if you have mixed waste either sort it and send it to dedicated incinerators, or use one basic inserter only per incinerator.
Inserters will not load items with a fuel value (wood, power poles, etc) into the incinerator except as fuel. These items can still be hand-loaded, however. Yes, this sucks for toxic jungle games.
Last edited by GotLag on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 am, edited 25 times in total.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Flare Stack v1.0.0

Post by GotLag »

I mean, sure, you could use a steam engine to dispose of unwanted fluids, but where's the fun in that? You'll never catch Captain Planet's eye with a boring, everyday steam engine.

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorio2016 »

can add thier MK2 that produces electricity?
So a little useless, but still fun. :mrgreen:
English is not my native language. Translator.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Factorio2016 wrote:can add thier MK2 that produces electricity?
So a little useless, but still fun. :mrgreen:
There's already mod for that by Klonan.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

GotLag wrote:choose which liquid you wish to burn off, and bask in the sooty orange glow.
What ??? I have to chose the liquid I want to burn ?
(no, seriously, you could probably make it a furnace type, which selects automatically the recipe (check bob's void pump to see how he did it)

also, I guess it needs electricity for the initial spark ?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Oh, hadn't thought of that. Will have a look.

Oh thanks, that works way better. Updated to use furnace type instead of assembler.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

GotLag wrote:Oh, hadn't thought of that. Will have a look.

Oh thanks, that works way better. Updated to use furnace type instead of assembler.
You forgot to remove the recipe in the Player Crafting Menu. :)

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Flare Stack v1.0.2

Post by GotLag »

Nice catch. Removed them from the technology screen, too.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Flare Stack v1.0.3

Post by Murlocking »

Is there any ways you could make the flame less pixelly without having to redraw it by hand?
Don't know how modding works in Factorio but you could replace it with a more detailed one from free assets if drawing is not your thing, hehe!

It's not a big deal but that sure would be pretty sweet and look pretty! :P

Appreciate the fix in the last update man!
Thanks for the mod!

Really useful and compact!

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Murlocking wrote:Is there any ways you could make the flame less pixelly without having to redraw it by hand?
Turns out Photoshop does a better job of resizing than Factorio, try the new version and tell me what you think.

DharokTitan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Flare Stack v1.0.4

Post by DharokTitan »

Hello,
I recently downloaded this mod to get rid of some unwanted fluids, especially before I research fluid handling. However, when liquid is pumped into the flare stack, it doesn't work. I am using Bob's Mods (This might be why but I'm not entirely sure), and I tried burning crude oil, sulfuric acid, and some other byproducts from Bob's Mods, none of which worked. I tried both directly connecting the flare stack to the fluid output and using pipes, and the flare stacks are supplied with power.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

DharokTitan wrote:Hello,
I recently downloaded this mod to get rid of some unwanted fluids, especially before I research fluid handling. However, when liquid is pumped into the flare stack, it doesn't work. I am using Bob's Mods (This might be why but I'm not entirely sure), and I tried burning crude oil, sulfuric acid, and some other byproducts from Bob's Mods, none of which worked. I tried both directly connecting the flare stack to the fluid output and using pipes, and the flare stacks are supplied with power.
This is for Heavy Oil ,Light Oil and Petroleum Gas only for now.

I don't really see the point of burning Crude Oil but that could be a thing easily added by the modder, I guess... :?
Also, Sulfuric Acid, itself, doesn't produce any flame so that wouldn't really make any sense :D
You could look for Void Pipe mod or something like that, it probably does that.

About the other Bob's Mods fuels you should provide more information, mods support is always great!

EDIT: Apparently Bob's Mods as Void Pump, use that to void the Sulfuric Acid for now :)
------ The mod author is really active so he should respond you pretty soon!

DharokTitan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DharokTitan »

Murlocking wrote:
DharokTitan wrote:Hello,
This is for Heavy Oil ,Light Oil and Petroleum Gas only for now.

I don't really see the point of burning Crude Oil but that could be a thing easily added by the modder, I guess... :?
Also, Sulfuric Acid, itself, doesn't produce any flame so that wouldn't really make any sense :D
You could look for Void Pipe mod or something like that, it probably does that.

About the other Bob's Mods fuels you should provide more information, mods support is always great!

EDIT: Apparently Bob's Mods as Void Pump, use that to void the Sulfuric Acid for now :)
------ The mod author is really active so he should respond you pretty soon!
Ah, alright then. I should've probably known that it wouldn't work with hydrogen and sulfuric acid lol but it was worth a shot, and when it didn't work I just tested it on crude oil to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. No wonder it wasn't working :P

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

I'd like to see flaring of Hydrogen and Oxygen added, for bob's mods compatibility.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

GotLag wrote:
Murlocking wrote:Is there any ways you could make the flame less pixelly without having to redraw it by hand?
Turns out Photoshop does a better job of resizing than Factorio, try the new version and tell me what you think.
It looks really good now :)
Good job man!

ALittleGreenStone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ALittleGreenStone »

It's great to have when you have an excess amount of something and have no need to store more/refine it to something else.

One thing I'd like to see, though, is an overflow valve, or something like that. To be able to burn the excess oil is one thing, but as it stands, I have to rotate it when I need/don't need to use it.

Would such a thing possible? A valve that only allows a liquid to flow when the tanks/pipes are full? It'd be awesome!

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

ALittleGreenStone wrote:It's great to have when you have an excess amount of something and have no need to store more/refine it to something else.

One thing I'd like to see, though, is an overflow valve, or something like that. To be able to burn the excess oil is one thing, but as it stands, I have to rotate it when I need/don't need to use it.

Would such a thing possible? A valve that only allows a liquid to flow when the tanks/pipes are full? It'd be awesome!
did you even read the main post ? if so, you would have seen the link to a mod that adds it ....

plus, you can always make one by having a pump linked to a tank using green or red wires !

ALittleGreenStone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ALittleGreenStone »

StanFear wrote:
did you even read the main post ? if so, you would have seen the link to a mod that adds it ....

plus, you can always make one by having a pump linked to a tank using green or red wires !
Yes, yes I did. I'm unsure how I managed to miss it. :oops: My apologies and thanks.

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

Murlocking wrote:...
You could add a 'flame' for that... even if burning it, doesn't show a flame within our visual spectrum, it would still have a flame... you could make a graphic for it, that shows the heat from it, instead of a flame itself that we can see, but the shimmer we see when we're looking through something that is radiating heat.

It would be subtle, but that little bit of movement in the pixels where the flame should be, would be enough to catch the eye and detect that it is functioning.

-- Smoov

AlNeaera
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AlNeaera »

Hi there,

Great stuff.

I was facing too much hydrogen production in N.Tech-Chemistry, so I added "gas venting" for venting gas from N.Tech-Chem and some of bobplates (Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen for ex)

Use with caution (back up your save, I have no idea if it works in MP), I'm not a mod developing person nor I have experience, but since I've done it for my self why not share it if some want to give it a kick.

It works on my N.Tech-Chem playthrough. I haven't test with bobplates.

All credits go to GotLag and all the people here.

Have a nice day.

https://github.com/alneaera/Flare-stack-gas/releases

Return to “Mods”