Reducing the number of keys that are needed to play the game

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

korda
Inserter
Inserter

Reducing the number of keys that are needed to play the game

Post by korda »

One of the things I tried to do after playing this game for a while was to use my Steam Controller to get it running - I gave up after a while since I would have to actually choose between being able to fight and being able to build. Also it takes quite a while to get used to in-game controls (from my, my friend and my wifes experience). There are some things that I believe could be handled with one key (like using E to enter vehicle) or with better on-screen GUI (if I could enter technology without pressing T I wouldn't really need that key).

And yes, I've read in FFF that there are some plans to introduce better UI including buttons for things like displaying production statistics (hopefully tech will also have it's own button).

Key shortcuts are nice when you remember them but how many times per hour you need quick access to production statistics? Without looking at controls or tips you wouldn't probably know it's there. Also I've ended up explaining things that should be obvious ("you enter car with Enter key, not E"). It's not uncommon for games to have simpler but slower controls in GUI and to have shortcuts for players who are willing to learn them.

My suggestions:

- GUI button allowing to leave entered vehicle and allowing using E to enter would render dedicated key not necessary (though it can be there as a option, why not?),
- there is no really a need to have dedicated keys for both dropping and picking up items - when stack is held in hand pickup key could as a drop key.

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Reducing the number of keys that are needed to play the game

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

I don't think its a wise idea to use a controller with a game such as Factorio at all, although it may be possible via controller button combinations, also the game already has a Production Statistic menu, can be accessed by pressing "P", the "E" key is already taken up by the Inventory, as for entering a vehicle using the same button "E", can be very annoying when trying to pick up stuff near a train/cargo/tank/any vehicle in the game, reducing the number of keys needed will not solve this and I don't want more clutter in my screen then I already have because specific menus cannot be added to a specific shortcut key, and TBH I don't understand why someone would play a game optimized for a keyboard with a controller, I mean there's a reason why a game such as ARMA 3 wasn't ported to consoles, and the main reason was due to the limits of controller buttons, they did try ARMA 2, but they ended up scarping it, these are just my concerns.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've added this suggestion to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=307&p=77823#p77823
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

korda
Inserter
Inserter

Post by korda »

ShizukaMiyuki wrote:I don't think its a wise idea to use a controller with a game such as Factorio at all, although it may be possible via controller button combinations, also the game already has a Production Statistic menu, can be accessed by pressing "P", the "E" key is already taken up by the Inventory, as for entering a vehicle using the same button "E", can be very annoying when trying to pick up stuff near a train/cargo/tank/any vehicle in the game, reducing the number of keys needed will not solve this and I don't want more clutter in my screen then I already have because specific menus cannot be added to a specific shortcut key, and TBH I don't understand why someone would play a game optimized for a keyboard with a controller, I mean there's a reason why a game such as ARMA 3 wasn't ported to consoles, and the main reason was due to the limits of controller buttons, they did try ARMA 2, but they ended up scarping it, these are just my concerns.
Steam Controller is designed to work with games requiring mouse (however it only has so much buttons). Why would someone want to play with controller? Because it's easier to sit in front of TV with controller than with keyboard and that kind of game is really nice to chill out on your sofa...

And no, this game is not optimized for keyboard. It's not optimized for anything really yet - its early access game after all.

Also I've been asking why there is shortcut for productions statistics but no visible button (it's not obvious its there).

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

korda wrote:Steam Controller is designed to work with games requiring mouse (however it only has so much buttons). Why would someone want to play with controller? Because it's easier to sit in front of TV with controller than with keyboard and that kind of game is really nice to chill out on your sofa...
You could always use a wireless KB+M instead.

That said, I don't really use a lot of keys, so I can imagine how I'd map the keys out:
- Movement on left stick
- Shoot on right trigger
- Cycle weapon on left trigger
- Left/right mouse buttons on bumpers
- Mouse control on right stick
- Technology on X
- Enter/exit vehicle on Y
- Pick up items on left bumper
- Pause on start
Any keys I left out I don't use, and there's still a few buttons left: Select, A, B, right bumper, and stick presses. That said, this is for an xbox controller.

Fug1t1v3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fug1t1v3 »

There were already topic about that:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=307
and also: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17126

korda
Inserter
Inserter

Post by korda »

Fug1t1v3 wrote:There were already topic about that:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=307
and also: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17126
Yeah but it's not only about controller support, but reducing amount of necessary keys in general. Things like tech tree, production statistic shouldn't really need magical key you have to know about to use them (since you only use them once in a while you don't really need a really quick way of access). Why do you think there is "Press T" message when there is no research? Because it's not obvious you can't just click there to show current research...

And I'm not against shortcuts, but my point is there should be some alternative to learning N keybinds.

Look at Starcraft for example - GUI provides all actions and by showing keybinds it also learns people to adapt to using them but not forcing them (of course there is much more keybinds to learn in stracraft than in Factorio so it's a minor problem in this game).

Additional benefit is getting closer to make this game playable on pads.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, the game is far from finished, when we're talking about GUI and control.

There is also this suggestion (which is in my eyes much better):
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9279 Everything GUI Clickable/Touchable ☸
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”