Do we still pass fuel around a belt to switch steam/solar?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Do we still pass fuel around a belt to switch steam/solar?

Post by Tinyboss »

It's been a year or more since I played, and I'll probably be at that point later today. Is there a new state of the art for having steam power only turn on as a backup to solar, or is it still the old way?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Do we still pass fuel around a belt to switch steam/solar?

Post by Neotix »

Now we have combinators and we have better control over many things. In v.13 we will get electric switch and probably ability to connect almost everything with circuit network. So there will be some new clever construction.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

The modern way is to use a smart chest linked to pumps and a yellow inserter taking things out of the chest and a blue inserter putting them back in. The blue inserter is on the main grid (or separated by an accumulator filter), the yellow on dedicated power. When the blue inserter stops, the chest empties. The pumps are set to start pumping when the chest goes below threshold and the steam engines burst into life.

Here's an example from one of my games:
http://imgur.com/nswDjC7

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Or if you want to know exact amount of energy in accumulators you can build something like this:
1.png
1.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2923 times
and connect this signal to every small pumps before steam engines with condition "<10".
Animation.gif
Animation.gif (14.3 MiB) Viewed 2923 times
I am using this build to disable beacons if energy is lower than 30%, and to enable steam engines if energy is lower than 10% or if energy demand is very high.

P. S. You should build electric poles in a strict order, otherwise this build won't work :D

Return to “Gameplay Help”