Topics and discussion about specific mods
binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.15

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

thanks for this nice mod.

I just wonder if it works correctly to keep track of crude oil. Because when I record a new crude oil, it shows percentages well over 100%...

By the way, for crude oil that already has a pumpjack on it, it's not very easy to click on the crude oil below (you can't see it).
So maybe it could be nice to have a little sound also at the beginning of a scan, showing that you correctly selected the "invisible" crude oil.

Have a nice day.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi again,

I saw that before accepting a "eye" on a ressource (and a character change), you check if you are in your body. But the check is an error if the player is in god mod (character = nill), so you could add this simple check also before.

I think it's in resmo.lua, line 677 :

Code: Select all

if player.character.name ~= "player" then
                player.print({"YARM-warn-not-in-real-body"})
                return
end
should be

Code: Select all

if player.character == nil then
                return
elseif player.character.name ~= "player" then
                return
end
Thanks for your help.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

binbinhfr wrote:I just wonder if it works correctly to keep track of crude oil. Because when I record a new crude oil, it shows percentages well over 100%...
There's no way to obtain the yield percent from the oil patch (or there wasn't when I wrote it), so you get a count calibrated to the oil resource's `minimum_resource_amount`.

The default calculation gives you 0% when the endless resource has finished decaying to its minimum yield and 100% when it's twice that, if memory serves -- this can be skewed so as to make a different value for the minimum yield using the dedicated hook in control.lua.
binbinhfr wrote:By the way, for crude oil that already has a pumpjack on it, it's not very easy to click on the crude oil below (you can't see it).
So maybe it could be nice to have a little sound also at the beginning of a scan, showing that you correctly selected the "invisible" crude oil.
This is one of the failings of using YARM for monitoring oil (or hot springs) -- it's tedious to select the individual patches (small mouse targets) and any misclick will normally cancel the new site creation. Unfortunately, I don't see how adding a sound would improve this; what's needed is a way to do an area select or similar.
binbinhfr wrote:I saw that before accepting a "eye" on a ressource (and a character change), you check if you are in your body. But the check is an error if the player is in god mod (character = nill), so you could add this simple check also before.
Thank you, noted.

Thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad you're enjoying YARM!

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Excuse me for my "newbie" questions. Now that i'm a little more in the game, I understand the oil %. As I'm french, I did not catch the word "yield" but now I understand what it means, so effectively, no "ending" or "empty" calculation possible as for the iron or copper.

For the click-on-oil, I also understand, now that I see what kind of event a mod can catch.

So, only my last note about "character == nil" test is relevant :-)

thanks for your help.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

By the way, is there something I'm missing ? because I do not have the settings icon, nor the renames icons... (as shown in your main post) :-(

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

binbinhfr wrote:By the way, is there something I'm missing ? because I do not have the settings icon, nor the renames icons... (as shown in your main post) :-(
The settings screen has yet to be implemented; I only had the button there as a placeholder for the first short while. The rename icon was hidden away inside the site view, because there were getting to be too many site-specific buttons otherwise. Incidentally, thanks for reminding me of that -- it means that I really do need to make sure the site view works while you're in God mode.

SgtKamato
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SgtKamato »

I have a small error with the mod. I can not enter any more resources. It is always an error. In fact 2 different.

(Sry for bad English)
The Picture
English: Greetings SgtKamato

German: MFG SgtKamato

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

SgtKamato wrote:I have a small error with the mod. I can not enter any more resources. It is always an error. In fact 2 different.
This is with YARM v0.7.15, I imagine? Try the v0.7.16 beta (direct download) and let me know if that clears it up for you.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi again,

I saw that number of people ask for settings ;-)
Making a settings menu is hard work to implement, but maybe you could just enrich the config.lua that users could edit ?

I would especially like to customize the warn_percent number: I'd like to see only the depleted sites, not the yellow ones.

Or even better : the expando button could have 3 positions :
- full view
- warning view, showing only yellow and red
- always closed, showing nothing (this lacks, because I do not want to see the warning list every time)

And when it's closed, to keep a little warning posibilities, you could just change the color of the expando button : green if all is full, yellow if there is some warned sites, red if there is some empty sites.
So if the color button changes, we could open to have a look and then close again, once we are aware of the situation.... :-)

Any way, thanks for your tool.

PrgSkidmark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PrgSkidmark »

I installed this mod on my Mac and I started a new game. I have confirmed YARM is enabled, and the save shows YARM active. I put electric mining on each type of ore but YARM only displays the little bullet list icon. I don't get an on screen list of items.
I Wonder if because I'm on Mac it behaves different.
Is there a trick to display the list?
Clicking the bullet list icon does nothing.
Thanks
Doug

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

PrgSkidmark wrote:I installed this mod on my Mac and I started a new game. I have confirmed YARM is enabled, and the save shows YARM active. I put electric mining on each type of ore but YARM only displays the little bullet list icon. I don't get an on screen list of items.
Thanks
Doug
You need to research Resource Monitoring, then craft a Resource Monitor, put it in your hand and click the ore field while standing next to it.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

PrgSkidmark wrote:I installed this mod on my Mac and I started a new game. I have confirmed YARM is enabled, and the save shows YARM active. I put electric mining on each type of ore but YARM only displays the little bullet list icon. I don't get an on screen list of items.
Thanks
Doug
did you craft the YARM special tool and use it on each mine you want to follow ? The initial recording is not automatic...

PrgSkidmark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PrgSkidmark »

Sorry I didn't check my recipies first. Thanks for the info guys!

Doug

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

Is there any "How to use the mod"?
I click on the coal field and get it on the list but when I click on the copper which is just next to coal, the coal gets replaced by copper on the list. They get the same name so I was wondering is there any way I can change the name of the field so they don't get replaced.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Roktaal wrote:Is there any "How to use the mod"?
I click on the coal field and get it on the list but when I click on the copper which is just next to coal, the coal gets replaced by copper on the list. They get the same name so I was wondering is there any way I can change the name of the field so they don't get replaced.
Click the coal, it turns blue, wait for it to "deedly bleep" and print a console message, then click the copper. The pause is to let you click multiple fields of the same thing so they get counted as one object in the list.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

Ratzap wrote:
Roktaal wrote:Is there any "How to use the mod"?
Click the coal, it turns blue, wait for it to "deedly bleep" and print a console message, then click the copper. The pause is to let you click multiple fields of the same thing so they get counted as one object in the list.
That was not my problem. When I click on coal, it get mapped and it get placed on the list with a generic name SW 32. Next I want to add copper field to the list. I click on the copper, it gets mapped but it gets the same SW 32 name so it replaces the coal on the list. What I needed is to change the name of the coal field from SW 32 to something else so it doesn't get replaced. I didn't know how to do it but I eventually found out that I need to click on the eye button to get the "change name" button.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Ratzap wrote:"deedly bleep"
I just want to say, that is an incredibly accurate textual rendition of that noise. :)

Ninjabrain
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ninjabrain »

Is there a way to scroll down in the list of ore deposits? Currently I have more ore deposits registered than what fits on the screen. Love the mod btw!

Meppi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meppi »

Here are two icons I made for anyone who'd like to replace the yellow retro calculator :)

tech icon
yarm-tech.png
yarm-tech.png (17.21 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
tool icon
resource-monitor.png
resource-monitor.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
Attachments
YARM_icons.zip
(21.25 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Ninjabrain wrote:Is there a way to scroll down in the list of ore deposits? Currently I have more ore deposits registered than what fits on the screen. Love the mod btw!
No, sorry, scrolling (rather, paging) is a desired feature that hasn't been invented yet in YARM. As I'm barely playing any Factorio at the moment, and therefore am not really improving YARM, this will likely remain an issue for a while. The best I can offer is a suggestion to only keep sites that you're actively mining.
Meppi wrote:Here are two icons I made for anyone who'd like to replace the yellow retro calculator :)
That's really awesome! Can I assume you'd like me to pick those up into the official package?

Return to “Mods”