Steam-only questions

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Steam-only questions

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

I bought the game on steam a few days ago, and I'm already a great fan, but have a few questions :

- is it possible to have access to a membership on my factorio-site account, as if I bought the game on your site ?

- how can I install an old release of Factorio (if I want to use all the mods that does seem to be updated ?)

- about these mods : I understood that there was a great break/gap around 0.12 and that several interesting mods are broken and not maintained anymore. Is there a project (by the official team) to update them and to integrate them into Factorio ?
because when I went to http://www.factoriomods.com/ and try to test mods : most of them are broken... It would be a pity to lose all this great work...

Thanks for this great game.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam-only questions

Post by Koub »

1) From what I have unterstood, you can retrieve a Steam key if you have bought Factorio on the site, but you can't do the reverse (get an account when you have bought it on Steam).
2) You have a way to get older releases of Factorio with the "Beta" tab, but you have only very fex of them, far less that on the website.
Factorio - Beta.JPG
Factorio - Beta.JPG (26.62 KiB) Viewed 21484 times
3) Mods are developped by the community, and maintained by the community. Depending on the licensing chosen by the author, the community is allowed - or not to update and maintain the mods as the game evolves. Feel free to update mods that seem to have been abandonned if the license chosen by their author allows you to do so.
Btw. I do agree : it is a real pity all the work done on mods gets lost for such reasons, but in the end, only mod authors can help preventing this.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

1) ok, too bad... maybe they'll correct this. But what kind of things do you get when you have a membership account ?
2) thanks for the tip about beta under steal prop. I did not know that !
3) yes, too bad these mods are broken and no more maintained. For mods that are obvioulsy used a lot by the community, the devs should integrate them into the official release and maintain them, no ? But as soon as I'm a little more in the game, I'll have a look at mod prog and LUA.

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

I would actually suggest browsing the mods on this forum, I haven't run into any huge issues with compatibility since 0.12.11

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Colossus wrote:I would actually suggest browsing the mods on this forum, I haven't run into any huge issues with compatibility since 0.12.11
OK, so that's maybe the factoriomods site which is not updated anymore. I'll try the forums versions tonight to see if it works better. :-)

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

binbinhfr wrote:1) [...]But what kind of things do you get when you have a membership account ?
Basically you can just download the game from the website. This allows you to install older versions of the game, and you don't have Steam as DRM, but not really anything more than that.

Before the Steam version, there were different tiers, so you could decide to pay more and get some extras for it (but mainly support the devs).
That was "Get your name in the game" (train stations have your name), which is not offered anymore; and the scenario pack, which is part of the main game now :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

SWSe wrote:1) [...]But what kind of things do you get when you have a membership account ?
Basically you can just download the game from the website.
I think you can't do that if you bought the game on Steam at the moment.
If you buy the game on the site => you can retrieve a Steam key
If you buy the game on Steam => you have it only on Steam.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Koub wrote:
SWSe wrote:1) [...]But what kind of things do you get when you have a membership account ?
Basically you can just download the game from the website.
I think you can't do that if you bought the game on Steam at the moment.
If you buy the game on the site => you can retrieve a Steam key
If you buy the game on Steam => you have it only on Steam.
This is the situation at the moment. For the 0.13 we would like to have the opposite way as well. The idea would be that the web page account would be created directly from the game after running it via Steam. However we need to do a bit of research about this. The possibility to create Factorio account for Steam users will be necessary because we are planning to introduce multiplayer matching server and mod portal which will use authentication with factorio accounts.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Koub wrote:1)
2) You have a way to get older releases of Factorio with the "Beta" tab, but you have only very fex of them, far less that on the website.
Factorio - Beta.JPG
I tried this on steam, but this Beta menu appers only if you have a BETA access code. Where could I get one ?
That's why I imagine that, if I want access to previous version, it would be better to have a factorio-site-account, in order to download them from the site.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

binbinhfr wrote:
Koub wrote:1)
Factorio - Beta.JPG
I tried this on steam, but this Beta menu appers only if you have a BETA access code. Where could I get one ?
That's why I imagine that, if I want access to previous version, it would be better to have a factorio-site-account, in order to download them from the site.
A beta code? Not sure about that - I can simply open the list on bets tab of game and see experimental and 3 specific versions there. And I didn't even install through steam.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

binbinhfr wrote:I tried this on steam, but this Beta menu appers only if you have a BETA access code. Where could I get one ?
I don't think you have a beta code to enter anywhere. I don't remember entering any code anywhere.
binbinhfr wrote:That's why I imagine that, if I want access to previous version, it would be better to have a factorio-site-account, in order to download them from the site.
The devs are working to make that possible. So you'll just need some patience.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

orzelek wrote: A beta code? Not sure about that - I can simply open the list on bets tab of game and see experimental and 3 specific versions there. And I didn't even install through steam.
Well it was the case yesterday, but it works today... I have acces to several past minor release, but not to 0.11

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Yes that's normal. 0.11.x are not available on Steam.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

You can authenticate steam users using their openid authentication system but I am unsure if you can confirm ownership of a specific game.

Phribos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phribos »

Am I to silly to find the achievements on steam?
"if speed one day kills me don't be sad because i was smiling"
Paul Walker

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Phribos wrote:Am I to silly to find the achievements on steam?
Achievements are not on steam yet, they will come later (with 0.13 I think),
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

At this time, there are no achievments in the game or at steam.

NomisCode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NomisCode »

Hello, i wanna play Factorio 0.12.26 on steam... but i can't... i can play only 0.12.33.....
My game is in 0.12.26 version and i want play on this version... Is there way how to change version?
I had 0.12.26 but it updated automatically and now is nothing in BETAS
Maybe you should create beta access codes :)
Please consider English is not my native language. :D

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

NomisCode wrote:Hello, i wanna play Factorio 0.12.26 on steam... but i can't... i can play only 0.12.33.....
My game is in 0.12.26 version and i want play on this version... Is there way how to change version?
No, the only supported version on steam right now is 0.12.33.
The main difference between 0.12.26 and 0.12.33 are the bug fixes that happened, is there any reason you want to play 0.12.26 instead of 0.12.33?

If it's because others are still using 0.12.26 (and multiplayer won't work) then have them update to the new version, too.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

NomisCode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NomisCode »

daniel34 wrote:
NomisCode wrote:Hello, i wanna play Factorio 0.12.26 on steam... but i can't... i can play only 0.12.33.....
No, the only supported version on steam right now is 0.12.33.
The main difference between 0.12.26 and 0.12.33 are the bug fixes that happened, is there any reason you want to play 0.12.26 instead of 0.12.33?

If it's because others are still using 0.12.26 (and multiplayer won't work) then have them update to the new version, too.
My reason was/is replay of my save.
Please consider English is not my native language. :D

Return to “Spread the Word”