[0.12.24 steam] fps cut to 30, save specific

Bugs that are actually features.
Xs_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.12.24 steam] fps cut to 30, save specific

Post by Xs_ »

Playing perfectly normally, 35 hours in and Windows (10) needed to update/restart, on reopening the save afterwards it completely tanked down to 30 fps (or ~27 to be exact), without v-sync or anything on that would otherwise negatively effect my frame rate normally, autosaves are the same.

Using this modlist (Attached zip)
Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfdjkwbc6l2fi ... 4.zip?dl=0
Mods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjqtv8nre12fftn/mods.zip?dl=0

Log File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6sviq9cixzco ... t.log?dl=0

I've attempted all kinds of option drops, even in minimum graphics & lightning there's no noticeable frame change, as noted in the title its limited to just the one save. This shouldn't be happening on my PC, as its way more than capable.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.24 steam] fps cut to 30, save specific

Post by Rseding91 »

The warehouses mod you're using is what's causing the slowdown. The inventory sizes are massive and the insertion logic has to check all of the slots every time an item is inserted or removed to see if it can insert or what can be removed.

If you remove all of the warehosues the FPS and UPS goes right back to 60/60.

The largest warehouse has 2000 inventory slots which is the function equivalent of checking 41 standard steel chests of contents every time 1 inserter attempts to add or remove an item from one of them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xs_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xs_ »

Ah, so Ultra Inserters + Warehouses causes a huge amount of lag

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, we might do some optimisation of insertion into big inventories, as big storages is something we might use as well in the future.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

kovarex wrote:Yes, we might do some optimisation of insertion into big inventories, as big storages is something we might use as well in the future.
That would be nice. It makes me stay away from warehouses for now and they do look tempting.

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

Late to the topic, as usual, but anyways

I'm sorry myy huge warehouses are breaking things, it really sucks, and wish there was some way i can optimise anything, however all the code to run them is built in, so i'm stuck relying on the devs to help fix this

Can we have LUA entities so i can make warehouses more crazy and less intensive? :mrgreen:
Hacker (n): Someone who makes furniture with an axe

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Anoyomouse wrote:Late to the topic, as usual, but anyways

I'm sorry myy huge warehouses are breaking things, it really sucks, and wish there was some way i can optimise anything, however all the code to run them is built in, so i'm stuck relying on the devs to help fix this

Can we have LUA entities so i can make warehouses more crazy and less intensive? :mrgreen:
Moving all of the logic into Lua would make things 20 times worse :P

vaultdweller
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vaultdweller »

kovarex wrote:Yes, we might do some optimisation of insertion into big inventories, as big storages is something we might use as well in the future.
I'm just curious if this optimization was among the improvements that have been implemented for the 0.13 build.

The combination of Warehousing plus Marathon has rendered our very long multiplayer game nearly unplayable. We're about to start refactoring everything to reduce our use of warehouses, but since 0.13 is due to arrive soon, I thought it might be prudent to check on the slim hope that 0.13 will improve our performance problems, so we don't unnecessarily tear half our base up. :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

vaultdweller wrote:
I'm just curious if this optimization was among the improvements that have been implemented for the 0.13 build.

The combination of Warehousing plus Marathon has rendered our very long multiplayer game nearly unplayable. We're about to start refactoring everything to reduce our use of warehouses, but since 0.13 is due to arrive soon, I thought it might be prudent to check on the slim hope that 0.13 will improve our performance problems, so we don't unnecessarily tear half our base up. :)
There has been nothing done with larger inventories. Don't use them and you're fine.

There's little to optimize in that area because there's no "Extra" work being done on the inventory when inserting/removing - all of the checks have to happen for all of the slots. When you crank up the slot count instead of using multiple smaller chests they *all* have to be checked each time an operation is done on them.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Rseding91 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:13 pm
There's little to optimize in that area because there's no "Extra" work being done on the inventory when inserting/removing - all of the checks have to happen for all of the slots. When you crank up the slot count instead of using multiple smaller chests they *all* have to be checked each time an operation is done on them.
do you ever read your past quotes and think, wow, i've learned so much?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ptx0 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:16 am
The chest logic related to iterating slots hasn't really changed at all, so this is a bad take

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Why are you bashing the devs recently? Can we help you?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:49 am
The chest logic related to iterating slots hasn't really changed at all, so this is a bad take
i think you misunderstood the point of my post.

the idea that every slot MUST be iterated is really dumb, and it is from 2016. you would hope he would look back on that conclusion and think, wow, i've learned so much since that time. now i know we can use binary search or r-tree or hash table or literally anything other than brute search.

Return to β€œNot a bug”