Multiplayer save game

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

durandin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiplayer save game

Post by durandin »

Well I know that anyone who has played a multiplayer game that is not the host goes through the wonderful "download the map" step every time.

I think the game, in a multiplayer sense, should have its own save file check system for those who join.

Basically when the host autosaves or manually saves the game also creates a save file for all others on the game at that time. Then when next the game is loaded/connected to the game checks for this multiplayer specific save file and only updates any changes between the save state file and the file loaded.

This kind of function will be especially useful going to Steam. Considering Steam has its own cloud save function. Utilizing this will be a great boon for the game.

A side note regarding steam.

Please include a method for those who already have the game to acess it via steam if they choose.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer save game

Post by bobingabout »

Although in theory this is a good idea, it would require all clients to stat up simultaneously.

As multiplayer exists now, you start the host which starts actively running before anyone is able to connect, meaning the save files will already be out of sync.

To use what you suggest would require a lobby of some sort so other players can connect to the host before the game is re-loaded.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out one of the technical aspects of why it can't currently be done.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Multiplayer save game

Post by Hexicube »

bobingabout wrote:To use what you suggest would require a lobby of some sort so other players can connect to the host before the game is re-loaded.
It could just start paused, since that's already in the game. Anyone who joins before it's unpaused would then send some data about their copy (world tick counter, size of data, checksums) and if it matches up they don't download the map.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”