Friday Facts #126 - Steam Status II and Trains Stuff

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #126 - Steam Status II and Trains Stuff

Post by Yttrium »

[quote="Tomas]view real-time any part of the map covered by radars.[/quote]

Nice, I have my entire base covered by 81+ radars, Now they'll finally be used for something other than watching trains. (Which I do alot)

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

blackdragon wrote:And maybe a remote transmission system and a receiver in your armor to receive the footage. Its just a idea of my.
Yeah. Send camera drones in a field :)

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

@Developers: What is the reason you did not list some fully-translated languages like Belarusian, Hebrew and Vietnamese, but did list incomplete languages like Portuguese (84%) and Swedish (93%) as interface languages on the steam page?
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

Dev-iL wrote:@Developers: What is the reason you did not list some fully-translated languages like Belarusian, Hebrew and Vietnamese, but did list incomplete languages like Portuguese (84%) and Swedish (93%) as interface languages on the steam page?
These languages are not available to be selected as supported for Steam.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

HanziQ wrote:These languages are not available to be selected as supported for Steam.
I see. You guys might want to state somewhere that there are "even more" languages available.. Perhaps create a pinned post on the discussion board with the full list of supported languages..?
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Sunny05
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sunny05 »

I cant wait to give a positive review on Steam.

cladmi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cladmi »

Why is everyone so excited about Steam release, it's only a early game power source, a SolarPanel release would be less polluting.

Found a strange thing on the steam page, the video is said to be 1:01 long but is longer, but maybe it's only me (GNU/Linux distrib):

Code: Select all

Autoplay videos     1:59 / 1:01
I'm really waiting for the new release to start a new base.

Wolfwaffe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wolfwaffe »

Steam? Finally! :D

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

cladmi wrote:Why is everyone so excited about Steam release, it's only a early game power source, a SolarPanel release would be less polluting.
More pollution = more visitors (biters) :D
cladmi wrote:Found a strange thing on the steam page, the video is said to be 1:01 long but is longer, but maybe it's only me (GNU/Linux distrib):

Code: Select all

Autoplay videos     1:59 / 1:01
I'm on Windows and noticed the same, not sure what's up with that.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

I realized something about the Steam page.. All of the screenshots are of really complex situations so none of them seem to be easily accessible or understandable for the average player not having played this before. (It could seem like you need to know complex electronics to bother buying the game, which is not true at all).

Just a heads up from a big fan of this game! <3

BobMalone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BobMalone »

Game is awesome but kinda disappointing to release the game on steam without any endgame :(

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

BobMalone wrote:Game is awesome but kinda disappointing to release the game on steam without any endgame :(
You can start the big rocket to win the game. I wouldn't call this "no endgame". The space station is another game in itself.

BlackLight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlackLight »

I bought the 'Furnace Attendant' tier of Factorio and I don't understand those crybabies complaining about the now necessary change in the tier system. :roll:
I never really played the campaigns and most of the fun I hat with the game itself. You guys decide.
Just my two cents.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

ske wrote:
BobMalone wrote:Game is awesome but kinda disappointing to release the game on steam without any endgame :(
You can start the big rocket to win the game. I wouldn't call this "no endgame". The space station is another game in itself.
From the sounds of things, the space part would be more in line with the rest of the game than earlygame where you mine things by yourself.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

Andir wrote:There's really no need for trains on game completion... all the resources we needed... were available within belt distance.
You know funny thing... BELTS are not necessary as well to complete the game. "WTF?" - may you think - but you indeed can finish game using only inserters to transport items.
So consider all transport types are distance-dependant. And yes, you can build a belt gazillion tiles away, but you will wait gazillion hours to get resorces transported.
If you want game to force you building trains - play on very low resorce settings. Especially oil - 'cause dry well will still provide a bit of precious oil, thus preventing you from dismantling the outpost and r/w tracks to it.
Andir wrote:Generating a map currently is sort of all or nothing
True, that's additional reason why I accented on sparse oil - you don't need it right away.
Andir wrote:It would also be nice if there was a "late game" material that you need to go out and get
100% agree : )
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

BlackLight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlackLight »

Andir wrote:It would also be nice if there was a "late game" material that you need to go out and get
Maybe make alien artifact much more rare in the end run or up the requirements for the research? I usually end up with chests full of candy floss.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I think alien artifacts being super common serves two purposes:

1. Those who hate fighting won't find the combat in Factorio too engaging and will want to get it over with quickly.

2. Those who love fighting won't find the combat in Factorio too engaging and will want to get it over with quickly.

I take it at one point things will inevitably change for the better with combat in the game, and that research recipes requiring it will only serve to research better means of fighting biters, meaning people not keen on combat won't have to get involved at all.

At that point, alien artifact frequency can be greatly reduced.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

will the API get ways to interact with and use those previews? I'll be very interested in integrating a gallery into SSU.

EDIT: typo

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

so with all the new windows/tads are we go to get "Logistic network, Storage Infoscreen" in 0.13 :?: :?: :?: :?:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2583

azurelinctus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by azurelinctus »

I have not been playing this or checking in on the website for around 6 months now, Will Steam keys be handed out for people who have already purchased the game? I can't seem to find anything about it and there would be a lot of forum and news updates to go through. If someone has the info and can let me know that would be awesome.

Return to โ€œNewsโ€