Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #125 - Achievements

Post by Drury »

cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
Me too my friend, me too.
ThaPear wrote:I see a lot of people talking about your own base burning. I think steel and concrete don't burn very well.
I'd imagine burning trees nearby might do damage to buildings, but I don't see how your own buildings would burn.
High voltage equipment finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJOuoQyRIs

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

cpy wrote:But i want to build my space station in factorio and do some space traveling :(
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

jockeril wrote:
There's a game for that - it's called Space Engineers! :x also - try farlight explorers (for the factory in space thing)

Factorio is about building automation and transportation with a hint of tawer defence and a competition about how many rockets you can send to space (and burning down a forest in the name of progress :P )
And then it was going to be about space traveling.

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

kovarex wrote:No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.
THIS sounds promising if not awsome!

I have thought the platform was ditched for good.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

kovarex wrote:
Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
No space platform before the 1.0 release. This doesn't mean no space platform ever.
Cool, must have missed that info.

Also, dota-like team-based multiplayer confirmed for next update, yes?

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

Drury wrote:
ThaPear wrote:I see a lot of people talking about your own base burning. I think steel and concrete don't burn very well.
I'd imagine burning trees nearby might do damage to buildings, but I don't see how your own buildings would burn.

well, thats because the transformators are filled with oil for cooling purpose. And that, natural , burns as hell :D

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Ringkeeper wrote:
Drury wrote:

well, thats because the transformators are filled with oil for cooling purpose. And that, natural , burns as hell :D
Exactly.

You can't just look at a metal building and say "well this can't catch fire ever" - there can still be flammable stuff inside.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I really do wish we could at least replant some trees...maybe as way to appease the natives?
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

kovarex wrote:
Drury wrote:
jockeril wrote:

And then it wasn't.

Bummer.
Jippieeeeee!

Looking forward to those.
And somehow my base is getting les then 60fps again. Snif. Well, I don't care about the fps but about ups, but those are always the same as far as I can tell. (now avg of 40/40 with drops to 30/30). Its a pretty big base dough (I think). (1.4GW electricity, produces about 10k iron/min)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

deemer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by deemer »

So many great ideas about fire. Here's my ideas:

1) A forest fire should not destroy rails or walls, but it may damage them a bit. That gives the player a way to protect most of their base from accidents.
2) As someone else mentioned, fire spread should be biased in the direction of wind.
3) I think the fire should spread more slowly than in the FF, perhaps by a factor of two. That would give a quick player a chance to create a firebreak, perhaps with bots.
4) With another way to destroy trees, we need a way to plant them. Even just a seed/sapling entity that grows into a tree in, say, 40 game-days assuming no pollution. Get seeds/saplings from grown trees somehow.
5) Burning down a forest should make a huge pollution bloom.
6) Oil well fires!
7) Coal field fires!
8) A fire suppression device to deal with 6 and 7.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

deemer wrote:2) As someone else mentioned, fire spread should be biased in the direction of wind.
Looking at the gif, this already seems to be the case. The smoke leans to the left, and the fire seems to spread much faster in that direction.

RobertTerwilliger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by RobertTerwilliger »

DerTolleIgel wrote:Usually every forest has some kind of end.. and it is your decision to set a big forest on fire
No, no, no, I meant mechanics that allow to make "careful" burning - say, at healthy forest you could make a bit firing here and there just to clear some small areas - fire will spread, but will go out eventually. But if you keep raining fire on trees (say, 3-5 seconds on single spot, or few spots somewhat close to each other) - the fire spreading will result in chain reaction and eventually whole forest will burn out.
I mean, you shouldn't burn the world in a single match (unless it's very dry, e.g. desert dead grow). Also it'd be somewhat OP to easily burn forest natives' bases.
deemer wrote:With another way to destroy trees, we need a way to plant them
Must admit, it's a huge temptation to be able to guard yourself with a forest to reduce natives' annoyance. However it is very cool mechanics so we have to carefully treat nature if we don't want it striking back hardly, because it will never forgive us all that devastation. Kind of :D
Holding formation further and further,
Millions of lamb stay in embrace of Judas.
They just need some bread and faith in themselves,
BUT
THE TSAR IS GIVEN TO THEM IN EXCHANGE!
Original: 5diez - "ะ˜ั‰ัƒ, ั‚ะตั€ัั" (rus, 2013)

Sinnersaix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sinnersaix »

i want to set the world on fire O_O

themightygugi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by themightygugi »

Please do NOT remove the green inserters!!!!

Even though there might be an overlap in functionality, the green inserters provide a very easy an convinient way to express simple logic without having to connect anything.

Also, I will probably break a lot of the Inserter mods which fill a huge gab in factorio. The amount of inserters currently, does not allow for enough flexibility when designing the factory layout.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Sinnersaix wrote:i want to set the world on fire O_O
I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

Maybe we could start a

flamewar?

Carble
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Carble »

Alternatively what you could do with the tree is to leave the gui as it is now, and when the user clicks on a research, all the required researched are highlighted a new color, like blue or something. Then we could see all the required researches without needing a brand new graphics

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tallinu »

Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ProphetofEden »

YES THE FIRE TURRET THIS IS WHAT WE NEEDED BURN LITTLE BUGS

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Tallinu wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the exact significance of the number 111 in the "without crafting more than X items" achievement? It seems like an odd number to choose.
Might be a homage to Fallout 4 ;)

or just a number they came up with :P
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Return to โ€œNewsโ€