Friday Facts #126 - Steam Status II and Trains Stuff

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Zman111
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #126 - Steam Status II and Trains Stuff

Post by Zman111 »

IT'S ALMOST HERE! Can't wait for mod support over the workshop. Even more looking forward to hammering out a good review to boost your numbers.

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

Nice news!
Congrats on the Steam page, I think it does an excellent job to show the quality of the game :)
Just make sure you get rid of the few typos ;) I've only found 3 though. It's generally very well written imho.
(I can send you the ones I've found if you want)

I'm confident the game will get a score that's over 90, possibly way higher. So, I'll go for [98,96]. :mrgreen:
Actually hard to say why anyone would write a negative review, but you never know...

Glad to hear about the rest, too. Congrats on all the things going on!

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

I did "copy" the FAQ from reddit to Steam - I would be very happy if you could "pin" it so my 13 minutes of formatting the text were not worthless :D
Last edited by Nic on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

From the posted FAQ:
The experimental versions of 0.13 will be available on the Factorio website as they are released.
Does this mean I will only be able to play new versions through Steam once they've reached stable? I would have hoped I could set my update preferences to "Bleeding Edge" like FortressCraft Evolved, and continue to play experimentals through Steam instead of having a separate launcher.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Colossus wrote:From the posted FAQ:
The experimental versions of 0.13 will be available on the Factorio website as they are released.
Does this mean I will only be able to play new versions through Steam once they've reached stable? I would have hoped I could set my update preferences to "Bleeding Edge" like FortressCraft Evolved, and continue to play experimentals through Steam instead of having a separate launcher.
I am sure the developers will use Steams "beta" program for that ;)
So you select "experimental branch" and always get updated to the latest experimental version
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Train stuff looks amazing. The silly "Main bus" will soon disappear, hail to the Train Bus.

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

(...)One straightforward example would be to have a camera entity (it could also be just existing radar entity).(...)
Hi, I have an idea about that. It could be possible to use blueprints and deconstruction planner in this view. It would be more useful (for example: some outpost is attacked, some turrets destroyed so you put a blueprint to build more than there currently are + the old ones will be replaced by robots).

It get a little bit Watch_Dogs like feeling when you build cameras to look thru them and build more of them (kind of virtual movement :])

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

1) I like the ideas of:
a) naming trains.
b) being able to blueprint without actually going anywhere.
c) seeing places without going there.
So consider this an upvote for those ideas.

2) The icon for changing the preview between minimap and normal mode is confusing (in the same way that icon was when it was used to switch between train and schedule).
I recommend changing it to a slider, as was done for automatic / manual mode.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Brambor wrote:
(...)One straightforward example would be to have a camera entity (it could also be just existing radar entity).(...)
Hi, I have an idea about that. It could be possible to use blueprints and deconstruction planner in this view. It would be more useful (for example: some outpost is attacked, some turrets destroyed so you put a blueprint to build more than there currently are + the old ones will be replaced by robots).

It get a little bit Watch_Dogs like feeling when you build cameras to look thru them and build more of them (kind of virtual movement :])
I had a similar idea with my Satellite Uplink Station; I had wanted to copy the blueprints from your character into the uplink state so you could take them with you, but I couldn't quite get the code for this working properly.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

can't wait for the steam release, I wish I had the money right now to donate a couple of copys to my favorite low time streamers, they do some neet things with 4player screens so you can see it from every players perspective. regardless hope it all goes well

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Woot, you used a screen shot of my 12 bay train unloading station on steam.

<<dance>>

enmoku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by enmoku »

Don't know if anyone has asked before, but is there plans to get Factorio on GOG as well? They have equivalent of early access now too.

Veylon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Veylon »

If there's one thing I'd add (besides naming trains) it would be a countdown/fullness indicator to that trains summary window. Granted, some people are going to have ludicrously complicated conditions, but for most it will be a simple combination of "Wait until X% full" and/or "Wait until X seconds".

gullfounder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gullfounder »

Well well, Factorio hit the steam finally :D
Since game will unlock in 5 days. I wanted to ask how do people like me get a steam ?
Sorry it has already been asked.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If you have bought the game, you'll be able to retrieve a steam key
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Mion wrote:Dear devs!

What about train "names"? So many changes to trains, but no one about possibility to give names to trains.

Maybe you will do, at least, Identificators (IDs)?
Train names are definitely an option.
gullfounder wrote:Well well, Factorio hit the steam finally :D
Since game will unlock in 5 days. I wanted to ask how do people like me get a steam ?
Sorry it has already been asked.
We will give a brief information probably on the blog when this is available.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

You know what I'm MOST excited for, in 0.13? Dedicated servers.

jaworeq
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jaworeq »

I thought steam release would be a 1.0 version, not early access.
Anyway, all the best guys! Both on release and a newborn!

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Can you make that the camera in the preview be centered on the whole train instead of just the locomotive? Would we able to pan the camera on the preview?

blackdragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blackdragon »

Hi there,

Interresting idea about the camera views. Maybe more interresting to make it more like a subsystem for the game itself instead of only the train system. Like camera's on a stick, that is connected via wire to a central observery system. And maybe a remote transmission system and a receiver in your armor to receive the footage. Its just a idea of my.

Greetings,
Christian
blackdragon

Return to “News”